recovery time line | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery time line recovery time line

Unread 03-10-2002, 06:29 AM
recovery time line

Dear Princesses,
I am a 30 year old married mother of three: 10 yr,9 yr,and 3yr.
I am due to have a hysterectomy on March 27. My Dr. is only removing my uteras. I have not been to my pre-op yet,but am anxious to know the ins and outs of this surgery. I will probably have it done through an incision in my abdomen because I have had 3 c-sections. What is my recovery time? To do laundry,cooking,cleaning,driving ect.? My husband is wonderful with the kids,but he works a full time job and is very tired when he gets home from work. How longshould I need someone to watch the 3 year old full time? When will I be able to help out a little? I am concerned about the sex issue,and the emotional issue. My husband and I have a wonderful sexual relationship (prior to the female problems I have had for the past year)(which I have to say he has been vey patient with)I don't want to loose this part of our marriage. Please someone who has been in this similar situation let me know.

Thanks,
concerned 30 yr old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 07:02 AM
recovery time line

Hi there! I am still pre-op but have read lots of posts here and been in the chat room. The normal recovery time is anywhere from 6-8 weeks. This is major surgery and you will need help taking care of children and daily chores. I recommend you get someone to help you for at least a few weeks. Some people heal differently; longer or shorter recoveries. It all depends on you and if there were any complications (hope there isn't) or if something else needed to be done that wasn't expected. Make sure to make a list of all your questions so when you go for your pre-op you can ask the doc or nurse. I can't comment on the sex part just yet (as I haven't had surgery). A lot of women say the sex is just fine, sometimes even better than it was prior to having surgery. You might want to consider getting the "Hyster Sisters Guide To Hysterectomy". You can find it at the store here on this site. It is a great book, jammed pack full of info and some funny tid bits as well. I ordered mine not long ago and read it every night before bed.

I'm sure there will be some other ladies jumping in here to offer you advice. We will be here for you before and after the surgery.. every step of the way. Feel free to post any questions or concerns you may have. Also, you might want to come on into the chat room. Not only will you be able to get to know other ladies (pre and post), but get a lot of questions answered and have a little fun there too! Best wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery for you.
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:18 AM
recovery time line

I am 4 1/2 weeks post and I feel great, but if I don't watch it I try to do too much and need a nap.

I have a 10 month old grandson who I take care of while his mom works. I can do most things for him, changing, feeding, playing with, etc, but I can't pick him up yet, so my Mom has been here to help out. I've started spending part of the days alone with him, an hour or two, this week we're going to see if we're ok for half days on our own. There were days in the last couple of weeks that I was very glad my mom was here, I couldn't keep my eyes open and if I'd been alone with the baby He might have been taking care of himself. Is the three year old fairly independent?

Generally it seems that you need to allow 6-8 weeks before you can lift more than a gallon, vacuum, push a shopping cart or stroller, carry a full basket of laundry. I was cleared to drive at two weeks, but I didn't feel up to it. Even though you need to allow 6-8 weeks for recovery, that doesn't mean you can't do anything for that entire time. Don't push yourself, and don't strain your abdomen, but when you start feeling better you can do some of your normal routine, just don't try to tackle everything at once and too soon. The housework will be there when you are better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Recovery time

Hi there, BS3/27. I'm sure you'll recover just fine. I do not have children. I am 44 at the end of this month and had my surgery 2 weeks ago (Feb.25th). I am feeling just great. When I came home my husband had moved everything upstairs (bar fridge, microwave, some dishes, food, etc.) so I wouldn't have to use the stairs. That was probably the most difficult at first. We even boarded the dog out for the 4 days I was hospitalized and the first week I was home so I wouldn't have to go downstairs to let her in and out. My recovery so far has been rather uneventful. I have had a little problem with bladder pain and constipation but they are straightening out and improving everyday. I feel well enough to start doing a little work around the house.My dh has been looking after the housework and cooking so far, but I think that will come to an end starting with supper today. I don't know about lifting a 3 year old. That would definitely pose a problem. I don't think I could do that just yet. I would think if your surgery and recovery is uneventful you could probably count on 3 weeks to have someone help with your little one. I was doing little loads of laundry after a couple of days (our laundry room is upstairs as well). As far the sex goes I can't comment on that yet. I see my Doctor on April 10 and hopefully will get the clearance then. This is a very special and important part of our marriage as well. But nothing was done to my vagina except the cuff where my cervix was removed. Doc says everything should feel normal. Time will tell. Dr. said I could drive as soon as I felt I could handle it. He said that could be anywhere from 2-4 weeks postop. We went out yesterday and I almost drove, but chickened out. Emotionally, I feel fine. No depression, although two days ago I had a good cry feeling like 2 weeks was enough recovery time, lets get back to real life here. But you can only take 1 day at a time. Don't overdo it. I did on my 3rd day home, and was exhausted and swollen and spent the next day in bed. Boredom can be a problem, too. The computer at least helps take care of a lot of that. Good time to catch up on some reading and movies. Be sure to ask your doctor all the things you are wondering about at your preop. Every doctor is different with instructions and be sure to write down everything he tells you. Best of luck. I feel great so far, with a few minor things. I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can start going outside. Get some meals ready ahead of time and freeze them. Your kids can be a big help in getting things ready each evening for the next day. Let them play a big role in your recovery. At their ages I'm sure they like to feel important and grown up. Let us know how you make out!
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:35 AM
recovery time line

Sorry BjS3/27 I got your name wrong at the beginning of my post. Sorry !
Unread 03-11-2002, 07:57 PM
time line recovery

Thanks ladies for all your help and your answers. I didn't even know there was a web site like this. A place where other women are truely concerned about the health and weel being of other woman. I nearly cried when I logged back on just a couple of hours after I had written in,and I already had 3 replies. The support is wonderful. Once again Thanks

bette
Unread 03-11-2002, 08:36 PM
recovery time line

Hey BJ,

Just wanted you to know that I too will enter the castle on the 27th (6 days after my 40th birthday) and have found this site to be such a comfort. Any question I have has been answered, many times over, by so many different "sisters" that it made me cry.

We'll get through this together; can't offer you any advice since our day hasn't come yet, but I have just met another "sister" and feel so much better for it!

Take Care!

SueK
Unread 03-11-2002, 08:41 PM
recovery time line

Oh, I forgot the point of my last post (my head is up my A..); my husband has been and will have to take care of my three daughters (17, 12 and 7) and he is wonderful too; I can tell it's stressing him out and I feel bad, but this I just have to remember that I didn't ask for this and I'm sure it's no vacation (he keeps telling me that this is no big deal and I'll be up and about within a week of surgery). I started to feel the pressure and my day hasn't even come yet. What I'm going to do is not worry about everyone else, they'll survive and I'll be around and they'll have to fend for themselves, like it or not. I HAVE TO start taking care of myself. I neglected a negative PAP and never went back to the doctor because I was to busy with work, family etc., and look where it got me. Now it's my time. This is my LIFE.

That's all I have to say about that!

Love YA!

SueK

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register