Such a big decision, how do I make it?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Such a big decision, how do I make it?? Such a big decision, how do I make it??

Unread 03-10-2002, 06:31 AM
Such a big decision, how do I make it??

I have been having "second thoughts" (subject of my first post) about everything since I scheduled my surgery. I initially set my surgery up as LAVH-BSO. I went back into see my Dr. last week and we changed it to TAH poss. BSO with the hope of being able to save one or both ovaries.

My surgery is for dysfunctional uterine bleeding for two years that has not responded to any treatment. I either bleed or spot about 20 to 25 days a month. I also have ovarian cysts and have ruptured two of them. My Dr. said he has no problem in trying to save my ovaries if that is what I want. He said that if he went in for a vasectomy or any other male repro surgery, his surgeon would not attempt to suggest he have his testicles removed, so he would never attempt to insist that I have my ovaries removed. He gave me the pros and cons of keeping them and said it is a person decision that only I can make (unless he finds a problem with them when he looks at them. ) He can drain any cysts he finds and I can still keep them if the only problem is the cysts.

I left it with wanting to keep my ovaries. But now I am having second thoughts about that too! (not to mention the surgery in general) I am 44 yrs old and am having occasional hot flashes and mood swings. So I am thinking that there usefulness is coming to an end anyway. But my concern is that I have significant family history for heart disease and my mother has had breast cancer and osteoporosis. So if I remove the ovaries I am concerned about taking hormone replacement. I should take them for the osteoporosis (not to mention forgetfulness, mood swings, and general overall mental well being) but shouldn't take them for heart and breast cancer risks.

I am so confused!!!! Any personal stories about your decisions to keep ovaries or remove them and start hormones or not will be appreciated!! I know I have to make this decision for myself, but I don't know how I am going to make it.

cm

scheduled may 20th (scared and confused)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 06:48 AM

hi sandcastle,
I am 45 and having my surgery on Tuesday. I debated on the saving the ovaries issue as well. My doc told me it is "standard procedure" at my age to take out the ovaries as a preventative ..but my gut said "no, leave them". I want to leave them as long as they are healthy. I have had no history of ovarian cysts or problems with my ovaries. My reason for surgery is due to huge fibroids. But I did give it a lot of thought and when I went back for my pre-opp I told him I want to keep my ovaries. I really want my body to wind down the estrogen production on its own. I too am having many pre-menopause symptoms, but for me personally...I just want my ovaries to keep on pumping out the estrogen for as long as possible. I have read that after a hysterectomy and when just the uterus is removed, the blood supply is decreased and the ovaries will most likely start to decrease in the estrogen output. Quicker than if you had had no surgery. But every woman is different...
Good luck in making your decision...weigh the pros and cons and make the decision which is RIGHT for YOU.
Best wishes
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:03 AM

Hi, and you're right about it being a difficult choice. I'm 46, my dr said that after surgery my ovaries might have 4 or 5 more years left. They were both polycystic, and to avoid any problems with them down the road I chose to have them both removed. My sister had to have three surgeries before she was done, the first surgery was to remove one ovary, a couple of years later she had to have a hyst, but left the remaining ovary, the next year had to have surgery again to remove that one.

I don't have any family history of breast cancer, and my mom and sis are both taking hrt with no ill effects, so my decision wasn't too difficult.

You may want to check out the Hormone Jungle board, the post op board, or do a search. To search go to the top of the page to the purple buttons, click on the one that says "search" and type in what you're looking for (maybe something like "keep ovaries") I pros and cons list may also help you.

I don't know if your dr wants the decision in his hands, but you can have him evaluate them the day of surgery and if he thinks they look healthy enough leave them.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Good luck with your decision.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register