No pre-op appointment before surgery... Weird? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No pre-op appointment before surgery... Weird? No pre-op appointment before surgery... Weird?

Unread 03-16-2002, 06:34 AM
no preop

I had my pre op physical which was done by my PCP (primary care physician). I am almost 50 so the criteria for me was CBC and EKG. The type and cross match has to be done in the hospital where the surgery is going to be. At our hospital for the gals over 50 they would also be required to have a chest x ray and Chemistry Screen within the last 6 months.

I received forms from admitting, you're absolutely right, except for asking me who I went to the senior prom with in highschool they pretty much covered everything that has ever happened.

I have never personally heard about not doing the type and cross within 5 days but I will check on Monday when I go to work and get back to you all. Admitting has scheduled mine for 9AM on Tuesday and my surgery is 9AM on Wednesday.

Today I must get into my bedroom and clean it up. Wish me luck gals, it is not going to be an easy task.

With a warm heart and best wishes,
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 06:46 AM
No pre-op appointment before surgery... Weird?

My surgery was scheduled for a Tuesday. I had my preop with my dr on Thursday where all she did was talk to me and answer ?'s..then I went to the hospital the next morning and they answered all of my ? and I filled out all of the admission forms. And becuz I have high blood pressure I had to have a EKG and a chest xray..They could not do the cross type and match and I had to go in on Monday morning to have that done as they told me they cannot do it over three days before the surgery..the did the cross/type/match/hold is what the order was..I am not sure why the three days thing..does it have to do with the blood bank or what? but I was told about the same thing about the blood..Oh and they gave me my betadine cleaner that I had to wash with and the betadine douche at the hosptial too..I didn't have to do the fleets as my dr had me taking senokot every nite for three nites prior to surgery to clean me out.she told me that this way it'll clean everything out of my bowels whereas sometimes with the fleets it just cleans out of the rectum and you have an easier time having a BM afterwards if you clean the bowels all out..I had surgery at noon and they told me to take my HBP meds in the morning with a sip of water
Unread 03-16-2002, 08:01 AM

Hi Fiona - My pre-admission testing was done on Thurs before my surgery at the hosp. They did an RN admission form (history), blood work, chest x-ray, and had my interview with the anasthesia doc (I told him what I wanted). That's all that was done. It basic and routiene. I didn't see my gyn doc for a month before my surgery also! Don't worry, relax, all hosp. are different and prep and admit patients differently. Just be glad it's almost over!! Good luck on Tuesday. Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 10:39 AM

I had a pre-op appt. 2 days before my surgery. I first went to my Dr. office, where we talked about the procedures and I could ask questions. Then I had to sign a bunch of paper work. I then proceded to the hospital where I basically pre-admitted into the hospital and gave them all the paper work from my DR. The hospital had called me on the phone the week before to pre-admit me, so there really wasn't too much to do there. I was given a bracelet and was told not to take it off. I then had blood taken & urine taken. I then had a EKG (they do this for patients 40 & over) and then a health screening where they asked me a zillion questions. That was about it.

The bracelet had information about my blood on it, and they told me if I took it off prior to surgery, I would have to have more blood drawn and it would push my surgery to another time.

I always thought pre-op appts. were pretty standard. Maybe you will have all this stuff done before your surgery. Mine was scheduled for 7:30 am. and I would have had to go in so early to have all that stuff done!

Good luck and best wishes to you!!!

Unread 03-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Preop appointment

Hi, Fiona. I guess every hospital is different. A coworker had a hyst 2 1/2 months before me in a different city and had to have EKG, urine, blood, etc. When I went for my first preop on Feb. 6th, the doctor just had me sign the form and answered questions. He also gave me an envelope with instructions and another preop time at the hospital. (the Feb 6th preop was at another hospital where I usually see him because it is much closer to home, although they don't do hysts there.) When I went to the hospital, I fully expected the EKG, etc, and an interview with the anesthesiologist. When I got there I was interviewed by a nurse. She gave me all my cut off times, enema instructions, etc. and listened to my heart and lungs, and took my blood pressure. She told me I was in perfect health and did not need to see the anesthesiologist. This totally freaked me out. But just as well, because there were about a dozen people waiting to see him, and he wasn't available because of an emergency. The staff was scrambling to reschedule these people. I had already missed enough time from work. Then they took blood for CBC, typing, electrolytes, etc. I saw my surgeon, and the anesthesiologist briefly in the O. R. holding area and that was it. I had to be at the hospital at 7 a.m. and surgery was at 9 a.m. Let us know how you make out. We'll be thinking about you!
Unread 03-16-2002, 11:25 AM

My pre-op consisted of going to the hospital and filling out a medical history. It was one sheet front and back and then talking to a nurse who informed me that the only test my doctor wanted me to have done was a pregnancy test. I had my tubes tied 8 years ago!!!! That was the only test I had done. My instructions for surgery are nothing after midnight tomorrow and be at the hospital at 5:15 am. No enema, no shaving, that was a nice surprise!!! This also took care of all of the questions that they normally ask you when you enter the hospital- was told it was all done so Monday morning I just go up to the second floor of the hospital and they will take me back and get me hooked up to the iv and all. Now if I can just get a private room.........
Unread 03-16-2002, 11:32 AM

I was sooooo lucky. I had a private room. And the last one in the ward. Another woman came in a few hours later, and when her husband complained about the semi private room they were told that there were no more privates available. I'm not the chatty type, and I really like my privacy, so the room was great.
Unread 03-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Pre-Op

My doc said that the pre-op appointment was the day before so he could remember who I was and exactly what he was supposed to be removing and how. He also answered the list of questions I provided. (many taken from this site and other sisters) I also signed the consent forms.

After that I went to the hospital and filled out paperwork and they checked to make sure the results for the blood tests taken four days before were there (they weren't but a phone call and a fax later it was taken care of) The Nurse at the pre-op explained the hospital procedures had me sign forms as well. She said that they usually did the EKG and other tests when the patient had something in their health history that demanded it. I didn't.

Hope your surgery goes well. Mine went great and I have to keep reminding myself that I had major surgery only a week ago.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register