Scheduled in 4 days | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled in 4 days Scheduled in 4 days

Unread 03-10-2002, 10:06 AM
Scheduled in 4 days

I am new to this group... but I have been reading the posts for the last month. My big day is Friday,(TAH/BSO) about mid-day and I think I am mentally prepared, but I believe I under-estimated the amount of help I may need. I have read the Hyster Sister's book and several chapters of a Womans Guide through Hysterectomy. Surgery doesn't scare me... 9 knee surgeries (including having my right knee cap removed 3 years ago) and 3 other surgeries.. but I am a lousy patient. I have always done recovery at home without very much assistance and I guess I thought I could do it again.... But the more I read, the more I think I may be wrong. I haven't asked my DH to take any time from work ( he runs his own business), I only have to walk up
stairs to get into the house, then everything is on one level - master bedroom, bath, kitchen, family room... I will have an wireless phone by the bed and the remote for the TV in the bedroom... but I will be on my own for drinks, bath room trips, etc. DH will probably stop in at lunch and then I won't see him again until after 6-7pm... most of my friends work during the day and not in close proximity to my house. We don't have children, just 2 kitties who will probably spend the day in bed with me...
Any suggestions on now to handle stuff while I am on my own would be greatly appreciated.... P.S. This is really a great website and it has been a really valuable tool in learning about the whole process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Scheduled in 4 days

I think you'll be okay if you have ready-to-eat foods in the fridge or microwave. You should be able to go to the bathroom by yourself and get a drink or a sandwich if you take your time. You might want to shower while your DH is still in the house in case you get dizzy.

Put a pillow on your tummy when you're in bed in case the cats decide your tummy is the very best place to take a walk.

Do not do dishes, change the catbox, or anything else except take little walks and get your snacks. As long as you focus on recovering and don't wear yourself out, you shouldn't get into trouble. Buy your milk in 1/2 gallons for a while. The full gallon size is a little heavy for a new princess to be lifting.
Unread 03-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Scheduled in 4 days

I think I had been home for about a week before I'd take a shower or go up or down stairs with no one home. Other than that I would have been ok by myself for most of the day. And after the first couple of weeks you can start doing a little bit more, don't push yourself, but you also don't want to spend your entire recovery time laying in bed doing nothing, nap when you need to though. Always make sure the phone is with you when you do get up to go to the bathroom or to get a drink, etc.

Remember: no vacuuming, no pushing shopping carts, no carrying laundry baskets until 6 - 8 weeks post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Scheduled in 4 days

Dear Sew,
It's great that everything is on one floor for you at home. That will help. I think the big thing is to make sure that DH understands that you won't be doing any housework for awhile. Maybe he already expects this, based on your previous surgeries (ouch ... 9 of them!)

A cordless phone will be a big help and keeping things you need at waist level so you won't be tempted to bend or reach too. Plan on very simple meals for yourself (microwave, sandwiches, etc) because you won't feel like standing for very long the first couple of weeks. With no small children to care for, you should be able to rest lots and have a smooth recovery. I didn't have small children at home either, so I could really take it easy. DH was home the first week, but I could have managed without him after the first couple of days.

Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 03-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Scheduled in 4 days

Hi There!

You have gotten some great advice from these wonderful gals here; I also believe you will be fine by yourself; my DH wasn't able to take any time from work, either, and I was perfectly fine.

I just wanted to add a little something about the stairs. When you use them the day you come home from the castle, I trust you will have someone there to help you -- hold on with both hands, take one step at a time like we did when we were toddlers, and try going up sideways. Then once you're in the house, hopefully you won't have to brave the stairs again for a few weeks.

But if you do, please be extra careful - it's not so much the body movement used but the unsteadiness we sometimes have after surgery and while in such a vulnerable healing state. Falling would be a real detriment to this healing.

Best wishes and HUGs - We are glad you're here - and we'll be with you throughout your journey!
Unread 03-10-2002, 03:32 PM
Scheduled in 4 days

I think you will be find also. The suggestions about fast food items in refrig are great.

My husband took a week vacation to help me and I really thought I would need his help but I think I would have been find alone.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register