5 day countdown | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 day countdown 5 day countdown

Unread 03-10-2002, 11:14 AM
5 day countdown

I'm scheduled for a LAVH on 3/15 and had so many questions.
Thanks to my sis-in-law for directing me to this site and to you all for helping answer soooo many of my questions. Still, the hardest decision for me is the ovaries--do they stay or do they go? My doc says I'm in the "gray zone" at age 41--no history of ovarian cancer. I have heard personal stories from friends and family and read opinions of both persuasions. My husband of 5 years went through this with his first wife of almost 20 years--he knows I am NOT her, but the hormonal/personality aftermath issues seem to be a bigger deal than the surgery itself--for him and many folks--so that's my concern. I'm still not sure which way to go-- I plan to talk to my doc again before the big day. Help! And thanks again!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 01:27 PM
5 day countdown

Ovaries are the big issue for so many of us! A "general" rule of thumb (everyone's condition is different so it's hard to generalize) is if your ovaries are healthy and there's no history of cancers in your family....you probably want to keep them. They will continue to dribble out good stuff for your bones, eyes, heart, etc for many years to come, menopause or no.

So many women have real difficulties with HRT...many (including me) do not, but it's a real can of worms. If you don't have a compelling medical reason to remove them, keep 'em.

I personally object to the line of thinking that it's ok to remove healthy organs because they "might" develop problems down the line. You don't see many doctors removing their prostates because they might develop prostate problems....but for some reason it's ok to remove our healthy ovaries?

Talk this over with your doctor in detail....do your research, and think carefully. Once they're gone, they're gone for good, so make sure it's the right decision for you!!!!

Karen
Unread 03-10-2002, 02:46 PM
5 day countdown

Hi SapphireSis:

Glad you found us! The ovary question is a tough one for many ladies. KarenL has given you some great advice. Another thing to consider is the reason for your hyst. In my case, I had my ovaries removed because I had severe endometriosis. Both my surgeons (and my family doctor) recommended I have them removed to try to prevent a recurrance of the endo. I'm 46, so a bit closer to menopause than you are as well.

No doubt, this is a very tough decision and one that only you can make. Keep reading, asking questions, doing the research. If your ovaries are healthy and you have no family history of cancer, if the reason for your hyst has nothing to do with endo or other hormone issues ... why not keep 'em?

Best of luck.

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register