A Few Questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A Few Questions A Few Questions

Unread 03-10-2002, 02:46 PM
A Few Questions

So, on March 7th I saw my Dr. for my 3 month checkup (I have been tested every three months) after being diagnosed In March 2001 with CIN III with glandular involvement and some small fibroids, having had a LEEP procedure last April.

He tells me at this last visit that due to my past history, he was scheduling my for a hysterectomy, it would be over in three days, he would try to keep my ovaries and that everything would be wonderful. (I will be having ultrasound on Tuesday to "check out my ovaries). I said great and proceeded to the receptionist to schedule all the necessary pre-op appointments and went home.

I stopped off at the diner where I worked and told them that I would be having surgery on March 27th, and I would be able to work on April 1. The girls said I was crazy, so I went home and got on the internet, and the good Lord sent me to this site that I have been on and reading into the wee hours of the morning and WOW, have my eyes been opened.

I'm so glad you're here!!

Now I have a million questions to ask this doctor. What kind of procedure are you doing? Do I have cancer or what is going on.
Your suggested questions will be in my hip pocket.

I think that I'll get more real-time info here, so I want to ask:

What is it about being "packed" that I have heard? Does anyone know? Can't find any info on the posts and am dying of curiosity.

I also want eveyone to know that this was so very unnecessary because about 5 years ago I had a questionable PAP, and after chatting with the ladies at work, they convinced me that they too had at one time or another had a questionable PAP and that it turned out to be nothing. So, I did nothing and carried on with my life until my periods became longer and harder and it seemed like I always had PMS.

I am going to be 40 on March 21st, I am married with three girls ages 16, 11 and 6 -- they're terrific.

I guess I just want to feel part of this group -- I'm in awe of how everyone rallies to your aid and know that I will need and can count on everyone's support as the days draw near.

I shall take my trip to the castle on the 27th and am much less afraid knowing you're all here.

Thanks for listening.

SueK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 02:54 PM
A Few Questions

SueK,

Whew, you must be in shock! Three days, eh? I wonder what your doc meant by that?

As for being "packed" ... this is in reference to ladies that have had a TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy). I can't speak from personal experience (I had a TAH/BSO), but I've read that ladies who have vaginal hysts have "packing" in their vagina for a day or so after surgery. If you post a question on the Post Op board with a title like "vaginal packing?" I'm sure some of the ladies who just had surgery will fill you in on the details.

So, turning 40 and having a hyst a week later. Some birthday present!

It sounds like you've been reading everything in the pull down menus on the homepage, and that will help you put together your list of questions for your doc. Maybe he meant 3 days in the hospital??? Number one question for me would be ... what type of incision, abdominal, vaginal, laparoscopic? Recovery varies quite a bit depending on this answer.

Keep posting and reading. We'll be here for you every step of the way.

Beth
Unread 03-10-2002, 02:58 PM
A Few Questions

Hi Sue!

Welcome!

Yes, that 3-day thing was a real jaw-dropper! It's good that you have your list ready to take to the DR, as one of the questions should be 'How long before I can return to work' as well as many other 'when will I be released for various activities' questions.

Sue, the initial recovery time for hysterectomy is typically 6 - 8 weeks. During this time, there is so much healing going on inside after such an invasive surgery.

Some gals (but not all) who have vaginal hysterectomy have reported that they had vaginal packing - such as gauze-type material, for the surgical site in the vagina.

Keep reading here, sweetie - you'll get a very good idea of what to expect, but please bear in mind that, truly, we are all a little bit different, and what you read about one gal is not necessarily what happens with all of us. We share experiences here, and we all really do have unique conditions/reasons for this surgery, different DRs with different techniques, and different healing rates.

Best wishes to you, and Big Hystersister HUGS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 03:03 PM
A Few Questions

Thank you Sisters! I really feel stupid, but know I shouldn't. I guess I was in shock because he kept shaking his head saying, I'm such a young woman, and why did I wait so long, and something about 5-7 year survival rate and YadaYada and I was so blindsided that I walked out totally numb.

I'm gonna keep reading and be well informed for my Tuesday visit and take charge of my life and well being!

to all of you! Thanks!
SueK
Unread 03-10-2002, 05:36 PM
A Few Questions

Oh boy...not a good appointment, was it!! SHEESH!

I'm really glad you found us! This place has gotten many of us through dark and confusing days...and we'll all be here for you!

At the next appointment with your doctor, you may also want to bring a pad and pen and write down all the answers to your questions...I know I tend to forget them as soon as I've heard them! Or better still, bring someone with you who can also listen. And keep asking until you are 100% clear on what's been said. Don't worry about being annoying or seeming "stupid"...this is your body and your future here!

Something else...you may want to consider a second opinion...to see what another professional might suggest for your condition, and to give you some additional reassurance that this is the right treatment for you at this time.

Please let us know what you find out...we'll be waiting to hear! I bet this time the doctor will be amazed at how well prepared you're gonna be...no more glossing over details for this DR!!!!

Hang in there, honey...we're all here to help.

Karen
Unread 03-10-2002, 06:08 PM
A Few Questions

Hi Sue,

Im very glad that you found Hystersisters, too. It's a great place to research and learn all about hysterectomies and possible alternatives - I encourage you to continue to read and ask questions so that you will completely understand what your doctor is recommending for you.

As far as the vaginal packing - I had it, but didn't know what it was before hand. (I had one of those doctors who don't tell you anything, I didn't know enough to ask, and I didn't find this site until the night before my surgery, so there was alot I didn't know about). The packing is gauze and as Beth said, is used after some TVH's. The nurse pulled it out the morning after my surgery(miles and miles of it ) , and although I was afraid that it would hurt, it didn't. It just felt a little strange.

Please let us know what happens after your next appointment with your doctor.

's

Karen
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:51 PM
Welcome to hystersisters!!!

Hi there Sue

I would like to welcome you to Hystersisters as well with a big

Also i would like to paste a links from the hystersister web site for LIW= ladies in waiting. There is some awesome advice about what to ask pre op and things for the castle, what to expect afterwords etc.. I will paste the direct link for you to make it easier.

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

This link if from this web site. It can be of great help for LIW.

The ladies here have given you some great advice. My own personal experience with having my hysterrectomy is good. My recovery was uneventful and i healed very well. I no longer live with pain and on going bleeding. I had Adenomyosis, High level cervical dysplasia & some nasty cyst. I have no regrets. I certainly would have prefered to go out with natural menopause but hey! I am thankful we who need it have cures for what ales us

Making these decisions can be overwhelming and confusing. Please browze this site and all it has to offer, Go to your Dr armed with knowledge and be sure you get the answers that give you peace of mind and you leave his/her office feeling informed. The decision is yours and working with your Dr to do what is best for "you".

Take care and keep on posting any questions you have. be sure to let us all know how your doing. Also come to the HS chat room. You will find it very supportive, women heliping women. Comforting each other, sharing stories, tears, fears, joys and some good laughs to

here is a to welcome you

Michele
Unread 03-11-2002, 04:08 PM
CINIII - AGUS pap

Hey Sue,

I'm also CINIII with glandular involvement, which my doctor defined as the cells inside the cervix. My abnormal paps were all AGUS (Atypical glandular cells of undetermined significance), which is often more serious than ASCUS. AGUS wasn't even a category until the late 80s. Most of the women you talked to previously probably had ASCUS paps and didn't realize there are more serious categories. I had a cone done that had clear margins, but one margin was so thin and had such bad cells under that my doctor wants to do the hysterectomy.

The main reason I'm a candidate for the hysterectomy is because my problem cells were so high in my cervix that they can't see what is going on up there. That might also be a factor for you with the glandular involvement issue.

The one thing I'm not clear on with your situation is was it a specific test result that made your doctor decide to go for the hysterectomy? Are you still CINIII/Carcinoma in situ or have things gone further?

Wishing you the best!
Susan
Unread 03-11-2002, 04:32 PM
A Few Questions

Susan,

When I had the LEEP last April, I was advised that the margins were "clear", however, the Dr. was concerned about "glandular" involvement (??) Didn't know to ask any further questions; he just advised that I would be checked every three months for cell changes, and that if anything, he would treat this problem more "aggressively"-- that was also when told me that this was not cancer, but was also something not very good to have. During my last visit, I advised that my periods had become longer, heavier, and more irregular in length and duration and that I felt something was not "right" (actually, I got progressively worse after the LEEP). He said that because of my history (having waited 5 years after the questionable PAP, I assume), and because I have fibroids (albeit, small ones), we were just going to do the hysterectomy so that I could feel better, and we could head off any problems. In my heart, I felt that this was the best decision -- intuition. I didn't know there were different types of hysterectomies (LAVH, TAH, etc.), so I didn't ask. And, because of my fear of cancer and due to a prior surgery where I had a mass removed from my groin that was in the lymph gland that the hospital "lost" the specimen and could not diagnose, I didn't hesitate to accept the surgery by discussing alternate options.

Anyway, I go for an ultrasound of my ovaries and fibroids tomorrow at which time I plan to interrogate the Dr. and get all the information I'm missing and didn't know I needed.

Thanks for your post, Susan -- and I'll fill you in tomorrow pm. So what more do you know about CIN III with A... -- how are you doing?

Your friend and Sister,

The Other Susan
Unread 03-11-2002, 05:45 PM
Hi Sue

I'd like to suggest that you take a friend with you on your next doctor's appointment if possible.
The first time I went in alone. It was awful. The doctor spent no time with me and I did not know what questions to ask or even remembered what little he did tell me.
Fortunately I found this web site shortly thereafter. And I found a new and much better doc/surgeon. I was very prepared with a list of questions which I had made several copies of. My friend joined me and took notes and made sure we got all the questions answered.
One of the hardest lessons I had to learn thru all of this was to ask for help. But it is here for you, so please get all the support and help you need.

Shelley

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register