weird pre-op fear | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weird pre-op fear weird pre-op fear

Unread 03-10-2002, 03:05 PM
weird pre-op fear

This is so bizarre -- bear with me -- I need reassurance that after the surgery, I will still be myself.

I don't think I feel that identified with my uterus, but I doubt I'd worry like this about another kind of surgery. It's not about hormones or mood swings, but about who I am, my Self, getting permanently lost somehow. I don't want to wake up as someone else. I'm not sure why I'm scared of that.

So, you lovely punctured princesses, can you please tell me that you woke up as the same person you went under as?

Thanks,

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 03:09 PM
weird pre-op fear

Hi Melissa, I think we all go through some sort of fear before surgery. Don't think of it as being that strange. I decided mine were just based in the realm of the unknown.
I not only came out of the hospital the same person, I feel I'm a little better than I was, (not different, just better), since I'm not dealing constantly with all the problems that brought me to my hyst. Take care!
Unread 03-10-2002, 03:16 PM
weird pre-op fear

{{{{Melissa}}}}

Actually, your fear is not too awfully uncommon. Many others have posted about these fears as Ladies In Waiting, too.

This is a major life event, major surgery! I certainly came back out of the castle the same person!

Pre Op nerves are normal. Keep reading; maybe even go join in on a real-time Chat! The ladies in the chat room are wonderful!

Hugs, sweetie! We are here for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 03:38 PM
weird pre-op fear

Hi Melissa,

I think I understand your fear. This surgery is a big deal, and even if your ovaries will not be removed, there are potentially big hormonal adjustments. Then there's the leftover anesthesia to wonder about. Along the way during recovery, I really hoped DH would tell me if I seemed strange ... not myself anymore. I had my moments, believe me. But the overall result has only been positive... people at work have commented on how I seem happier, more relaxed. And it is true. Now that I'm not trying to manage that pain all the time, I am happier and so thankful that I've had a great outcome.

Most of us have a few days (or weeks) post op when brain fog makes us feel a little dim-witted. Keeping your sense of humor is a big help. This condition is temporary, not permanent.

Hang in there. You will still be you afterwards.

Beth
Unread 03-10-2002, 04:12 PM
weird pre-op fear

Hugs and hi there hun.
Toonces is right it is not that much of an uncommon fear. I guess at the time of a Hyst all sorts of things run through our minds.I know that alot of woman fear being not the old selves as they class their uterus etc as the part that makes them a woman.
Believe me Hun you will still be you. Infact you will be a healthier and better version of the old you. Remember the parts of you that are being removed are only a tiny part of the whole make up of what makes you you! No DR can take away the things like spirit and the personality that makes you the person you are.
Good luck for the upcomming surgery and know that you will do fine. Hugs Vicki AKA Smilie
Unread 03-10-2002, 05:27 PM
weird pre-op fear

I agree that many of us have similar feelings. So much cultural and emotional baggage is tied up with our reproductive parts, it's not surprising!

I will say that I am the same AND different. I think I was able to recapture myself....the old self, the self that was there before the pain, the unending fatigue, bleeding, swelling, disfigurement, and chronic feeling-lousy-all-the-time took over my life and my personality!

And there is a different person here, too....one who is proud of my "battle scars" and hard won health...who doesn't take c...p from anyone anymore, because I don't have to...much more sure of myself, and comfortable in my own skin. More compassionate, kinder, more patient...a better person, wife, mother, friend. Adversity helps define us...we've all been through SO much. I think you'll like the person that wakes up...

She'll be you, formed by ALL your experiences and joys and pains and this is just one more journey on our continuing road. Embrace all of this if you can and you'll be FINE. Don't let the fear take over...remember you are NOT alone and we'll all be here to help you!

Karen
Unread 03-10-2002, 06:08 PM
weird pre-op fear

Thanks, everyone. <sheepish>

Irrational fear is so much fun. I appreciate your perspectives.

Melissa
Unread 03-10-2002, 09:48 PM
weird pre-op fear

Hi. I never felt that I would feel less of a woman because my uterus would be gone. But, I also wondered what things were going to be like afterwards. Was I making a big mistake? March 11 will be 2 weeks post op for me, and apart from being sore, I feel great. I don't feel any different, nor have I behaved any differently. You should have no fear of being someone else after your surgery. You'll do just fine.
Unread 03-11-2002, 02:43 AM
weird pre-op fear

Before my surgery many people told me I would be a new person. I was kinda looking forward to meeting her ... sort of like finally getting to meet Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, you know? If you see the new me, tell her I am waiting, ok?

Oh...there are a few things different. I don't have cancer anymore. I have a whole new appreciation of people who are struggling with chronic illnesses and the fears and the worry they encounter. I appreciate my health more, whereas before I think I took good health for granted.

Oh...and I have sisters! That's the best part! I never had a sister before my surgery. Now I have thousands of Hystersisters!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 03-11-2002, 03:40 AM
Fears

I too have had my moments of fear but here's a little trick I am playing on myself. I am thinking of this as my 30,000 mile tune up with a paint job. Same car, same familiar smell, same comfy seat, same radio station, just runs smoother and looks better. Best wishes

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register