Thank You | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Thank You

Hi everyone... I want to thank you so much for all the support everyone is giving me. I went to church this morning and that made me feel a lot better too. The headaches are not quite as bad, but still no appetite. I guess that will come back. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to check on something for my anxiety and maybe they can give me something that will help me sleep.
I have a question though... I know this is a silly question. But when you have surgery do they put a catheter in you? I have had one before and they hurt when they put it in. If I have to have one, I'm going to ask the doctor if they can do it when I'm asleep. Do they send you home with pain pills? I have no toleration for pain.
Thanks for the advise on what to take to the hospital and what to wear. Also, on the swelly belly. I had no idea that your stomach would swell. Guess I'm just new to the stuff. I haven't really had a major surgery. I think that is why I'm so stressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Thank You

Hi T,

I had a catheter, and don't remember it being put in, so they must have done it while I was asleep. I also worried about whether it would hurt when they took it out, but in my case, it didn't.

I would think that all doctors would prescribe pain killers for afterwards, but be sure that you talk to your doctor about them. In my case, I was on a morphine pump at the hospital, which was disconnected the morning after and I went home with a prescription for painkillers which my DH got filled right away. I took them for a few days, then dropped down to one that was less powerful, and eventually after a couple of weeks was just taking Tylenol.

But most of my pain came from the repairs that I had done for rectal and bladder prolapses, and not from the hyst itself. You might not need painkillers for very long.

Please keep on posting and reading, and let us know how your doctor visit goes tomorrow.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register