back from castle | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

back from castle back from castle

Unread 03-11-2002, 06:10 AM
back from castle

Dear Ladies,
I am 1 week post op. LAVH/BSO. Sorry i didn't write sooner,butI couldn't bear revisiting it all, but I have to say, it wasn't that bad.
The pain,which I felt mostly in my back, was less than I expected.
After surgery, I startedto drink lots of water,(thanks,sisters) and was able to get the catheter out that night. Started walking that afternoon also. They took off those awful plastic stockings that inflate every minute.
I didn't sleep well that night, not from pain,but because I'm an insomniac anyway.I did a lot of walking that night. Finally got up and took a shower at 6am. Twice that morning I aked nurse to take my temp, because I felt warm and notright,but no fever. In retrospect, this was the beginning of hot flashes. Started taking Milk of mag(thanksagain, sisters) that morning, but ask the nurse first, you might ruffle feathers if you take anything they don't know about. Later (9am.)
DD saidI could go home after I ate something.
This is when my hormone meltdown officially began. I wasn't getting oneof two pain meds because they couldn't get IV started after shower. I was exhausted from not sleeping, in pain, and I had to eat bad food.
I have athing about food;I just can't eat bad food.I was so mad, but I picked a veggie wrap because Ihad to. It came, and fell apart in my hands. It was a salad wrappedin a dry tortilla. I started to cry, and I wanted so badly to throw that d__m thing across the room. Then the nurse came in to give postop instructions. Boy, talk about bad timing. I was cryingand complaining, and told her to leave me alone,I didn't want my husband to see me like this. This is totally unlike meto cry. I never cry. She told me to put the estrogen patch on as soon as I got home.
The problem is that I anticipated this could happen. I had asked my DD if he put the patch on in the operating room. He said no I could probably go 2 weeks without it. I trusted him. WRONG.
After I got home, started patch, got sleep , ate my own food, felt good, with very little pain. Day after home arrival needed pain med only once. At least the narcotic vicoden. There's another one that's a NSAID taken every 4 hrs. for 10 days.
In retrospect, here's my advice:You do not make a good advocate for yourself post op.In your pre-op app. discuss: sleeping pill for hosp., insist on estrogen patch immediately postop. If you know you have problem eating bad food, have someone bring you something from home.If I had insisted on these things my stay would have been smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 08:17 AM
back from castle

Welcome home Sue!

I'm sorry you had some rocky things happen to you in the castle.

Now that you are home, remember to sleep, drink and walk!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register