indigestion/digestion problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

indigestion/digestion problems indigestion/digestion problems

Unread 03-11-2002, 06:43 AM
indigestion/digestion problems

I am having such a problem with my digestive system. Food seems to sit like a weight in me, and give me tummy ache,with often painful gas- one week post op. Not having problem with constipation, though. Nothing agrees with me. having to have bm's after coffee, or at night after dinner. like my system is still in shock. Have to stay away from spicy food, anything heavy. Made pancakes the other morning and was miserable the rest ofthe day. Am seriously considering totally bland diet in hopes to get over this. Also, perhaps frequent small meals instead of 3. Could be the medication a NSAID that can cause these symptoms.
Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

Thanks,
suek lavh/bso 3/4/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 06:57 AM

I had terrible problem with Motrin and prescription strength motrin/advil after my last surgery. Unfortunately it wasn't until my stomach was totally inflammed (when they looked down it with the scope) that we figured out that it was the NSAID that I had been taking for pain after my lap. I can never take motrin or advil again. My symptoms were of indigestion and then lead to stomach pain and then burning and feeling of fullness. I can take Celebrex if I need an anti-inflammatory as it is easy on the stomach, but never the other. The side effects for the others even say that they can cause "gastritis," which is inflammation of the stomach lining. I hope that you will tell your doctor about these stomach problems and if a NSAID is a painkiller you should take now that you are having them. For me the stress of the surgery also affected my stomach with more acid, so between the two it made for some real stomach problems. The best thing is to always keep telling your doctor how you are feeling and make them DO something until you are feeling well again You shouldn't have to suffer for any long period of time. I hope this problem will not continue for you as I know how miserable it can make you feel, and I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Best wishes and prayers.
Unread 03-11-2002, 09:34 AM

(((Sue))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time.

I agree with Jerianne: do let your doctor know about your symptoms. Often, a change in medication/prescription is all that is needed to bring relief. And it's the kind of thing that you want to nip in the bud, as it can cause serious damage.

BTW, eating smaller, blander meals would probably help restore balance to your system. Be sure to drink plenty of water and to walk for recovery, as that will help "move" things along.

Sending healing s your way. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 11:12 AM

It took me two full weeks to get my appetite back. I am now almost three weeks out and am still having terrible gas pain and other digestive dilemas. I think everyone is different and I hope you will be lucky and be back to yourself soon.
Unread 03-13-2002, 06:35 AM

Dear Ladies,
Thanks for the response. I didn't want to call Dr because it took me so long to figure out I had a problem, and it is almost time to discontine that NSAID, matter of fact, I'll be out at midday tomorrow(thank god). I sure didn't want to try another drug with so little time to go. I wrote myself a note to watch what I eat, and Always made sure I took that drug with food as directed. I should have known that, as I have stomach problems and take prevacid. I am surviving, andlooking forward to a drug free america right in my own living room!

Thanks,
suek
Unread 03-13-2002, 09:07 AM

I hate to say this, but if you already had a history of stomach problems and were on medication for treatment of it, your doctor should have never started you on NSAIDs. I told my doctor right up front that I could not tolerate Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen. Told her she would have me in surgery for ulcers too if I took that stuff.. And she made sure my chart stated it in BIG LETTERS!! I came home on vicodin and have had no stomach problems related to the medication. Just stopping the NSAID doesn't always stop the inflammation, so be sure to contact your doctor as soon as you realize you are not improving. I;ve been down this road before and know how MISERERABLE the pain can be. Take it easy -- hot peppermint tea has really helped me with digestion and bowel issues!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register