Pre op surprises | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op surprises Pre op surprises

Unread 03-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Pre op surprises

I had my pre-op visit at the end of last week and was so upset I took the weekend to cool down and now I'm trying to decide what to do next. I'm concerned that the surgeon doesn't take the RSD (a pain disease I have) issue seriously enough. She kept saying that with the SAH procedure most of her patients don't even fill their post op pain Rx. I've aked to meet with the anestheologist before the magic day but they aren't choosen until the night before. I made a fuss and the nurse is going to try to get one of the docs from the anestheology practice to call me, although they don't know if the one that calls will end up doing the surgery. I have some other issues-like how my arms will be placed, (that's where the injuries and RSD are) mitral valve prolapse and a history of lung problems that I'd like to address also.

The reason for the SAH is that I've become very anemic from the heavy bleeding. Four years ago I had an emergency procedure to remove fibroids and at that time had to have blood transfustions before they would even do the surgery. According to the doctor this will just keep happening if I don't have the SAH now.

The big surprise at today's visit was that although the dr had originally said that all she was going to remove was my uterus the consent form mentioned removing my ovaries also. I've been doing my homework all week on this site and others for the original surgery but hadn't even looked into this issue. I told the dr I wanted to think about it and would let her know before the surgery date. I'm mostly concerned about the hormones-my mom had breast cancer and I've heard that this is an indication to avoid hormone treatment. The dr. said that this wasn't true, but I need more info!

Thanks for all your help!
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 07:34 AM
Pre op surprises

hi
Not sure If this is the same but at my pre-op My doc had me sign a consent that if when she was there if she saw problems then she would remove my ovaries could this be what you were asked to sign. Maybe you need another visit with the doc write all your concerns down and take it with you . I am concerned that at this late date you are not very confident of your doctor. That`s the one thing that really helped me was I really felt confident with my doc and new she was doing her best for me.
Hope you get your concerns addressed soon
Lucy 2
Unread 03-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Pre op surprises

You're having an SAH supracervical hysterectomy taking the uterus but keeping your cervix and possible removal of ovaries? I have heard of a link of breast cancer and hormones but am not absolutely sure on this issue. You may want to research this or post a new question if there is a link. For your dr. to say it's not true if it is, would not make me very comfortable with her. I hope you didn't sign the consent form that included removal of ovaries especially since you weren't expecting that. If the ovaries are healthy you should be able to keep them. I would definitely want to know why she is taking the ovaries. They can benefit you even if you may be close to menopause and there is no way to know when that will happen. Some women start in their 40's and some don't start till there 55. I did have to sign the consent saying TVH -possible laparotomy in case the uterus was to big to get out. When you went to your pre-op did you tell them about the mitral valve prolapse? You will need to be given antibiotics before surgery to prevent infection. This can be given right before surgery in your I.V. I had gentamyacin (sp?) I know a little about RSD and I understand it can be quite painful. If you are taking pain meds for this you need to notify that dr who prescribes your meds for the RSD. I agree that having your arms in certain positions may aggravate this unless you have a choice as how to place your arms. He can probably give you a prescription to have on hand if needed. You should definitely metion this to the o.r. staff who will be in the room with you. I can't understand why she said most patients don't fill their prescriptions. If not for the hysterectomy you may need them for your arms. Have you thought about another opinion? You can call anytime before surgery for a second opinion and they can usually give you an appointment quickly if they know you are coming for another opinion and your date is only a couple days away. You can get a reccomendation from your family dr or friend to refer you for another opinion. Just make sure you have your list of dr's that are on your insurance handy so they can look over the list. Are you taking iron supplements to help the anemia?

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register