introductory visit to the castle | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

introductory visit to the castle introductory visit to the castle

Unread 03-11-2002, 10:20 AM
introductory visit to the castle

At my last visit with my gyn, I expressed some concern about the hospital he prefers to do my surgery at. My sister had been a patient there and I was not happy with her care, and the rooms were old, dark, and so small that I felt claustraphobic in it. So we had decided to go to another, much newer hospital (my family tells me that I'm a snob ). He said that he generally admits his patients, at the older hospital, into the gyn oncology floor because it has the very best nurses, all the rooms are now private, and it has recently been renovated. But he said he can't guarenttee that I will be on that floor. Most of the time he gets his patients there, but no promises.

Well, we could not get the surgery scheduled at the newer hospital on the day that both surgeons (having a birch uro proceedure at the same time) can do the surgery. His scheduler called me and asked me to give the nurse manager at the older hospital a call. Gave me her name and number and told me she was expecting my call. She was a sweetheart. She actually had a TVH-BSO done by my Dr. last year. I went up today at her request to see the floor and meet some of the nurses. The floor is lovely. Rooms small, but not claustrophobic. Nicely decorated. Lots of nurses and not that many patients. She gave me the run down on what to expect post-op. She said she was going to talk to me like I knew nothing at all about nursing (I am an ER nurse), and I am glad she did. I really don't know much about post op care.

I was also able to talk to her about my biggest concern. To leave the ovaries or not! She is a few years younger than I am and had hers removed. (her comment was, "what are you nuts! I work in a cancer unit. I see ovarian cancer everyday. Mine are OUT OF THERE!!") She said that she has had no problem on low dose estrogen. And she is happy she made the decision that she did. All in all she really helped make me a little less terrified!

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Caren

abnormal bleeding for years, ovarian cysts. Scheduled 5/20 for TAH (unsure about ovaries yet) and Birch bladder suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register