Post Recovery Care - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Recovery Care Post Recovery Care

Unread 03-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Post Recovery Care

Shelly, I also got my reacher stick at a medical supply store. It was about $11 and worth every penny. There are fancier models, but this one did the trick.

A cordless phone is great. You can carry it with you and it will solve the problem of having to get up to answer the phone.

I put a little basket on my nightstand that could hold things like tissues, my TV remote control, telephone numbers (I was afraid if an emergency happened - it didn't - I would blank out on phone numbers), a few magazines, my water bottle.

The first week I mostly just laid in bed and watched TV - did not feel like reading. I think I was mostly just happy the surgery was over and I had survived, lol. By the next week I was up for longer periods, sitting or laying in the living room, but still retiring early at night to the bedroom. Taking a shower took about 30 minutes and was tiring, but I never felt faint or anything like that.

I knew that I would want to do a little "light housecleaning" when I felt up to it and put a bucket with bathroom cleaner, windex, etc. on top of my clothes dryer. Also those Clorox bathroom wipes are great for quick clean-ups. Normally those things are kept in a high cabinet and I knew I would not be able to reach them.

The third week I think I kind of hit the "third week wall." I was very depressed, felt I was not improving and starting panicking that I would not be able to return to work. I could not sit for long periods of time and cried and felt sorry for myself. My ovaries were taken and I am probably going through a lot of hormonal changes too.

I am now five and a half weeks post op and feel great. I am going back to work next Monday and feel ready. I know I will be very tired the first week or so and will probably fall into bed after dinner, but that's ok. I rarely need to take anything for pain. My energy is not where I would like it to be, but I can honestly say every day I feel better. All in all my recovery has been pretty easy. Believe me, I was really scared before the surgery. It is true - it's the women who face this alone with young children that really must have it hard. Think of this as a time to be totally selfish for yourself. Your recovery is your main priority right now.

Let us know if you have any other questions! Everyone here is great and willing to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 09:08 AM
Yoga for stress?

Thanks sisters for all of your help. I went in yesterday for one of my pre ops (to sign consent forms etc) and told my surgeon about this site. I recommended that he send all of his "hyster" patients here as it is the best source of information on "the pre and post experience that I could find.

I must admit that I am a little nervous now, but , feel that I am getting well prepared for the homecoming. I even put all of my affairs in order ( just in case) and made a will, revocable living trust, power of attorney etc. I needed an estate plan and now seemed as good a time as any!

Yesterday I purchased earplugs for the hospital since they are the noisiest place on earth and I am a light sleeper. And, today I am loading up on the frozen food and water. Thanks for letting me know where to get a reaching stick. I am going to call one of the medical supply places this week.

I know I am bound to be nervous as time goes on (15 more days till my surgery.) But, I am trying to stay busy. Since I was laid off in November I have been throwing myself into closet cleaning, crocheting afghans, gardening, and reading.

Today I am going to try yoga. Has anyone tried the beginners version and had any luck with stress relief? Anyone gone for massages, facials etc. for stress relief??

One thing that I am happy about is that my gyno will be putting me back on EHT the night of surgery. I have been flashing and having night sweats like crazy. He put me on Estrace and Effexor (antidepressant used for menopausal symptoms) but the Effoxor caused severe headaches and constipation. He took me off yesterday. I certainly didn't need the constipation prior to surgery since I know it will probably be an issue after.

Thanks again for all the help... this place is great!
Unread 03-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Post Recovery Care

Hi Shelly,
I've tried doing the yoga on days when I don't have much pain...those days are few and far between... but I have found that doing relaxation tapes... kathy smith has a great one out.. it is an audio tape that is a guided meditation, nothing too new age-y just relaxation and letting go... works on some days for me. best wishes for a speedy recovery...my TAH is in 6 weeks... I wish it were done and I was home recovering....
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 12:07 PM
Post Recovery Care

Thanks for the info & good luck to you to, Kara.

I bet that you can hardly wait to be pain free. My daughter had a TAH when she was 28. She was so relieved to be free of pain. It gave her a whole new lease on life! I will be thinking about you. When is your surgical date?

Unread 03-13-2002, 02:01 PM
Post Recovery Care

HI Shellly,
my date is april 23 at 2:40 in the afternoon.. that 2:40 may be the longest hardest part of the wait yet... I wish I had a earlier time but that is when its for... You're right, I can't wait to be on the mend. Today is one of those days when the pain is about a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Thanks for the well wishes and know that you will be in my thoughts on the 28th too.
kara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register