Anesthesia? Whats the Best way to go NEED ADVICE | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anesthesia? Whats the Best way to go NEED ADVICE Anesthesia? Whats the Best way to go NEED ADVICE

Unread 03-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Anesthesia? Whats the Best way to go NEED ADVICE

I have my pre-op on Thursday, I see alot of post on spinal and epidurals to avoid nausea. I have a big problem with that just with surgeries like laproscopies, now with this being a major surgery (my first) I'm trying to avoid as much meds as possible. I have problems with my digestion as it is, last time after a lap, my intestines didn't move for 8 days and the pain was unbearable. I also have IBS which I'm just so looking forward to those gas pains. (hahaha/NOT) I would like to hear what worked and what didn't with anesthesia and pain meds just to give me idea of what to ask about both. (I'm allergic to Demerol) and that's about all I know.

THANKS alot for all your help, it feels great to read the waiting is the worst part, makes me braver as the 19th approaches.
Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Talk to Anesthesiologist

They'll talk to you before the surgery. I told mine I had always had a lot of vomiting with anesthetic and I now have an eroded esophagus that bleeds with vomiting. I don't know what he did, but I had NO nausea and NO vomiting afterwards (OK, this with the help of a nasogastric tube which I could not feel, didn't even basically know I had and which came out so easily that I couldn't believe it--and I'm a big coward). Really, they can do a much better job with anesthesia than they used to--just let out all your concerns when you see him or her. I had the pump afterwards too and that worked very well. One suggestion--if what they give you isn't working, tell them and ask for something else. Unbelievably, I didn't do that--just stuck it out with the percosets because I thought that was all that was out there besides codeine, which I can't handle--I should've spoken up!
Unread 03-11-2002, 05:34 PM

I just had the general anesthesia and I asked them to give me anti-nausea meds which they did. I had no nausea or vomiting ever. Used the push button which I think had morphine in it. No problem and no pain. Only took one pain pill, Darvaset after I got home.
Good luck

Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Anesthesia

I too had a problem with anesthesia. With all of my other sugeries I had thrown up and also passed out my first time out of bed afterwards..this time I was so worried all of the time about what anesthesia to use. I finally chose general over epidural as I just didn't want to have that in my back as I have disc problems When they came in and put the IV in me in preop they numbed it first so altho I felt it it really wasn't pain And then I told them I was very nervous, and they gave me verced with two shots of some antinausea meds..I kind of freaked out in the OR and told my dr that I changed my mind and stuff and the anesthesiologist said take six breaths of this oxygen and the next thing I know I was in the recovery room..I never got one ounce of nausea..didn't pass out and felt great If it weren't for the morphine that I had in the pump..which btw I only clicked 11 times the entire time it was in..I"d of been ready to get up earlier..So as they told me .....anesthesia has come a LONG way since I had my last surgery nine yrs ago and that is so true. I felt wonderful afterwards...Do what you want and feel is best for you..But I didn't have any problems this time
Unread 03-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Gracie -

I had a spinal with morphine, which I think was wonderful. Part of the idea behind it is that you get pain medication that lasts 24-48 hours, and don't need as much afterward.

However, this option may not be right for you. I recommend you call the hospital and ask to talk to one of the anesthesiologists (they may not know the specific one till the day of surgery) about your individual circumstances. They are very experienced at this, and can help you choose the best method for YOU. Speak up and make sure everyone you are dealing with knows what's going on.

And all of us were (more than just a little) apprehensive, so you're in good company!
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:24 PM

Hi,
I am (was) petrified of surgeries because I have very severe and unusual allergies as well as asthma (I also have IBS).

At the end of Sept. I had emergency surgery (gallbladder). I told all my fears to the anestheologist and how many times I had to be given epi shots from medication reactions, etc.

He was so wonderful and explained how the aenestheasia has changed and if something did bother me he had various things that would take care of a reaction.

When I woke up I felt so good. I was never nauseated or having any reactions at all. I wished I could have thanked him. . .
(unfortunately-next month I'll get my chance with the TAH-but my doctor said I can request him and have the same anesthesiologist) - I gotta be careful what I wish for. . . take care, Kathy
Unread 03-13-2002, 04:08 AM

Hi,

I had general with an anti-nausea piggyback. (*LOL* Sounds like I'm in a bar or something!)

I had always gotten sick on the table, in recovery and in my room. Nothing this time. I have a really senstive stomach...nice to know that I'm not the only one in the world though. After reading these posts, it makes me feel like I'm normal almost!

Hardly any gas pains as I got up and walked tons the next day.

Sara
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:37 AM

Hi!

I was very against having a general, even tho it has improved, I didn't want a tube down my throat, soreness from that, it takes longer for it (meds) to leave your system, etc. I was very vocal about wanting a spinal with heavy sedation. I met with the anesthesiologist about 1/2 hr. before surgery and she reviewed my "chart" to see if there were any reasons why I couldn't have a spinal. She said there were no reasons why I couldn't. But she stilled tried to talk me into a general. I almost caved, but stuck to my guns. Several of the nurses in the OR told me that they thought I had made a very good decision and they would have picked the same. It was a piece of cake, I felt nothing, saw nothing, heard nothing! My dr. said I snored thru the entire procedure! I felt none of the after effects of being put "under". I would recommend this procedure if you can have it!

Take care and best wishes with what ever you choose!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register