Liw3/13 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Liw3/13

Ok evryone I have some other questions....can you tell I am a little anxious over this??? First question - did any of you have to have a transfusion? If so, any problems with it? Second question - How about an NG (nasogastric) tube? I just got a book from Amazon.com on Hysterectomies and was reading about the 1st day of the surgery and that you may wake with an NG tube!!! Help me out here Ladies...this is one thing I am praying I am able to get by without having. I understand it is for nausea or vomiting...
Signed - just a little apprehensive.....
Suzanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Liw3/13

Hi Suzanne!

I am pre so can't give you any help about the NG tube. I would make sure and ask about it though. As for the transfusion, I have had one and didn't have any problems with it. The red cross checks the blood thouroughly and chances are very very slim that anything would be wrong with the blood.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Want to wish you the best for your surgery and a smooth recovery. Let us know how things are when you are up to posting your story! Take care.

Amy
Unread 03-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Liw3/13

SEP1123, good luck on Wednesday! We'll be in the (castle) trenches together.

I don't know about the NG tube, but I imagine that most folks wake up with no tubes because they remove 'em before you wake up. There are probably rare occasions when they don't time the anesthetic right, but really, I wouldn't worry about it. Just assume all will be well, and it just might be!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Liw3/13

I didn't have a transfusion - did ask my Dr. about it because I had one in a surgery many years ago. He said it is very unusual to need a transfusion during a hysterctomy.

I didn't have any NG tube when I woke up in recovery - just my i.v. and catheter.

Understandable to be (even a lot) apprehensive. You'll do fine!! Soon you'll be posting here telling everyone how the waiting was the worst part :-)
Unread 03-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Liw3/13

Please, don't worry. I was worried about all those things, too. As it turned out, I don't remember a thing about waking up in recovery. I remember absolutely nothing until I was awake in my room and dh was moistening my lips. I was worried about being sick at my stomach, too. I did begin to feel a little sick, and the nurse was there in a flash and put something into my IV, and I felt better instantly. I worried for nothing. I hate to see any of you LIW doing the same. You will be fine! "Waiting IS the worst part."
Unread 03-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Good Luck!

I only woke up with oxygen(nasal) the I.V./morphine pump & the catheter. They took the oxygen away as soon as i was very awake. The catheter came out about 6:15am day after surgery...no pain (from that little procedure). I.V. came out last!
Thank goodness for the morphine pump tho! As soon as the pump came out it was vicodin & motrin 800 for me( because i had bad headaches). I initially had more pain in my back than i did from the surgery( i have a bad low back). It wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be...Honest!!! It was the waiting around & not knowing what to expect! (this was my first Ever surgery!).
As to the blood loss...according to my op report / it was only about 300cc's. which is hardly anything when you really think about it!

Best of Luck!! 's

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register