AH over VH? Rectocele repair. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

AH over VH?  Rectocele repair. AH over VH? Rectocele repair.

Unread 03-11-2002, 07:08 PM
AH over VH? Rectocele repair.

First time here. Surfed onto other hysterctomy web pages but found this one to be the friendliest and by far the most positive. HERS Foundation was particularly frightening!

Won't have surgery until May 25, but dr wanted me to start Lupron to shrink fibroids and uterus for vh. (Only 35 so the plan is to keep my ovaries.) I've started talking to the women around my office and have gotten a few "war" stories that have made me question whether I want to have the vh. If I have the ah, will the dr have more access to securing my vaginal canal to ligaments and avoid prolapse of vagina and bladder in the near future? I would also be able to keep my cervix and it should help with the support, right? An added bonus would be staying away from the Lupron. OSHA considers it a hazardous substance.

Also having a rectocele repair. Any words of advice on how that is going to feel/heal? This is one that I haven't seen anything about. Dr said that during that repaid she will tighten my vagina.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2002, 07:27 PM

I had a TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy) The word total means uterus and cervix. To my knowledge it is impossible to keep the cervix if you are having a vaginal hysterectomy. There are advantages to vaginal. No scars. I agree about the Lupron. I didn't want it and was fortunate the dr. was able to to the TVH. Have you seen a urologist? It may be a good idea to consult one before surgery. Here's a link about the different types and there is also a pull down menu on the front page that also describes them with some personal stories.

http://www.scncgynecologists.com/vag...sterectomy.htm
Unread 03-11-2002, 09:34 PM

Hello and welcome! I think I can answer the part about the rectocele repair. I had a TVH/BSO/A&P repair 5 weeks ago. 12 years ago I had a difficult delivery in which I tore all the way through to the rectum. I would say the feeling afterwards is very similar. Both take about 6 weeks to feel good again although neither is unbearable. It definitely helps to use stool softeners post op with the repair. The dreaded first bm was painful of course but not as bad as I had feared. For quite a while I had to sit on a donut pillow everywhere I went; now I just take it if I'm going to have to sit on a wooden chair or bench, on upholstery I am fine.
I hope that helps!
s,
-Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register