The Willies | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:37 AM
The Willies

I've just been reading some of the posts on the post op board and some of them are so very frightening. I will not be reading the posts on that board until I myself am post op and well into recovery... I tried to stay away from the obvious bad experiences posts but its like driving by an accident, ya just gotta look.... ugh.... now I am back to frightened... so I am going to try and meditate my fears away..... and I will repeat... my surgery will go well !!!!! sigh
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 10:44 AM
CHILL

I'M SURE EVERYTHING WILL GO OKAY. I AM SCHEDULED FOR JUNE FOR A LVH. IT'S HARD NOT TO LOOK AT THE BAD POSTS BUT IT'S KINDA GOOD TO KNOW WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN JUST TO BE PREPARED.
JUST SAY SOME PRAYERS AND TAKE SOME DEEEEEEEP BREATHS AND EVERYTHING WILL BE OVER SOON. I KNOW I WILL FEEL LIKE THIS ALSO WHEN MY SURGERY DATE GETS CLOSER. HANG IN THERE PRETTY SOON YOU'LL BE FEELING GREAT!!!!!
GOOD LUCK,
CHERYL
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:46 AM
The Willies

Hi Kara!

I know there are some frightening posts on the post-op board, but try to remember, that most of the women who post there are the ones who are having difficulties or complications.

There are countless women who have no complications at all, who don't post anything! Many of us had recoveries that were, well, maybe not easy, but at least not terrible. I had no complications or major difficulties, just very sore and tired.

Please try not to worry too much. I know that's much easier said than done (I was an absolute WRECK before my TAH), but in my case, at least, the worrying before the surgery was much worse that the actual recovery.

Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 11:18 AM
The Willies

Hi, Kara -

I think Chemyn is absolutely right - many of the women posting on post-op are the unfortunate minority who are having a lot of problems. It's a great place for them to get support or advise. I was a bit freaked out reading some of the bad experiences, but I also read lots from women like me.

I'm a little over a week post-op, and doing really really well! Of course, I am sore and tired - this was major surgery - but I was up and walking around, showering, etc. the morning after surgery. Weaned myself off Percoset 2 days after I got home, and am now just taking Ibuprofin.

After your surgery, walk, drink lots of fluids, and rest. Listen to the doctors and nurses, and ask questions if you have them.

It's normal to be scared, and the waiting is the worst part, because afterward, you're on the road to feeling good again! Keep that positive attitude and belief that you'll do fine, because you will!
Unread 03-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Hi Karah!

My TAH was on March 5th (today's my week anniversary! YAY!) and I can say with all honesty that things are going MUCH better than I thought they were going to go. I was such a frightened lady-in-waiting...never having been through major surgery before I didn't have a clue how things were going to go for me. All I could do was keep as busy as possible just to keep my mind off of the surgery.

I won't kid ya, the first 24 hours post-op were rough. The morphine and the anesthesia made me SO sick, and dry heaving with an abdominal incision is not something I'd care to do again. But it has been totally uphill from there, with a LOT of pleasant surprises! My doctor didn't give me any physical or dietary restrictions, just to listen to my body and act accordingly. Since that initial 24 hours post-op the only thing I've taken for pain has been a caffeine pill at the hospital (I forget the name of it)...I'm a diet soda drinker and I went cold turkey before the surgery. After I got home it's been a single OTC Motrin twice a day. That's it. I've been able to get up and down the stairs since I got home with no discomfort. I haven't had any bleeding, and my incision is healing nicely. I sleep like a rock.

Now needless to say, I'm not in any shape to go dancing, and I do tire easily, but the doc said to listen to my body. So when my body says 'sleep', I sleep. If it says 'that's enough', then I stop. I do take the time and walk some everyday, and I made it a point to walk at the hospital. I started with just getting to the bathroom and graduated to short walks around the unit. The nurses told me that the walking is very important.

I still have quite a bit of healing to do and it is early in my recovery, but overall I'm happy with both my decision to have a hyst and the progress I'm making so far. I realize that all women are different and there are a number of reasons to have a hyst. I just wanted you to know that there are women who do well post surgery (I'm sure you'll hear from other ladies who are doing well too)...this is my experience to date.

Lots of love and a big

Your sister,

Chris
Unread 03-12-2002, 11:46 AM
The Willies

Hi Kara,

I'll be 6 wks. post-op tomorrow. My surgery went well and my recovery hasn't been anything to write home about!

Many people encounter some minor problems post-op. Many are worried about things that normally happen post-op and many are just worried about what is "normal". We are all different with a different story! Some good, some bad. I would venture to say most people have very little problems!

The best thing I can tell you is to stay positive, take one day at a time and try to stick to your normal routine during this waiting period.

Take care & best of luck!

Unread 03-12-2002, 02:54 PM
The Willies

I am about 3 months post op now. I have not had any unusual problems during recovery. Just the usual.

I think you see so much of problems on the post op boards because those are the sisters who are in need of extra support . Some have the usual problems and are in need of understanding and just to know others have gone through the same thing. Others truly do have complications and unusual problems and are looking for answers and support .

Those of us who do so well, either fade away or forget to post and say how well everything went!!! I think that makes it look like those with problems outnumber those who just face the usual soreness, swelly belly and tireness. I am sure that is not true.

If you are a good princess post-op you will have a greater chance of having a smooth and uneventful recovery. Take it slow and easy.

In my opinion, if you can do it, it is better to err on the side of taking it too slow than on the side of going too fast, especially in the first 6-8 weeks. That way you can avoid the complications that occur from doing too much, too soon.

Let us know how you do.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register