Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP? Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP?

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:47 AM
Really Strange Symptoms - CAN U HELP?

Hi Shelleygirl,
You and I have some things in common. I never had heavy bleedings, but a whole lot of weird symptoms. Horrible bowel pain around time of my period started when I was 19 (first time pregnant). Intercourse pain started when I was 22 (after 2nd pregnancy). I always had very bad cramping before my periods. However, the most intriguing was pain while I was trying to sit or get up. It felt almost if something was to fall out, or just hanging in there. The same discomfort I would feel if the car hit the bump. Those two things disappeared after my lap for endo. But there is more: I have constant abdominal pain, most of the time dull. Sometimes gets sharp on the sides (ovaries??) and radiates to the legs. I also have constant pressure on my bladder and have to go very often, but never had burning sensation or bladder infection. My bowel movements are often announced by abdominal pain and I have rectal pain. And guess what? My doc says on the sonogram and MRI the size of my uterus is normal, it does not seem enlarged, and she took care of endo over a year ago, so there is no explanation for my symptoms. Anyway, if I walk barefoot or sit on a cold chair, I get abdominal pain. And yes, I do get dizzy quite often but never connected it with any of this. I will have my hyst on April 12 and I am not sure that it will take away all of my symptoms, but I will give it a shot. I am 35 now and once in the lifetime I would like to try to have sex without pain. I feel very insecure about the whole thing because I had all those problems for very long time, but all the doctors I consulted never heard of the "walking barefoot" thing and are puzzled by my feeling of being pregnant and having to pee while my uterus seems to be the normal size. I do not know much about the kind of endo I had and where it was because my doctor is not very talkative (although she is an excellent doctor).
I am sorry for such a long letter, but this is the first time I confessed all my symptoms in public, cause it makes me feel so weird. Even at home I do not talk about them all that much, I am kind of ashamed of having all this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 06:46 AM

Shelleygirl, I have a prolapsed uterus and cervix. Intercourse is painful because the cervix comes way down and everything feels worse towards the end of the day(gravity stinks). My doctor also thinks I have adenomyosis because my uterus is also enlarged 11 weeks and boggy. I can sort of feel it moving around when I walk. As if I was carrying around a balloon full of water. I get constipated all the time and I also have to urinate constantly. Just like when I was pregnant. I get pelvic pain all the time and my left ovary is always hurting, although he says it's normal. I also have lower back pain. I am like you, I don't have heavy bleeding. Actually, my periods have gotten lighter the past couple of years and the days between them are longer. I have a lot of cramping before and during and barely have a period. Makes me wonder what's going on in there. Anyway, sorry for rambling on. Just want you to know that you are not weird for having these pains. We know how you feel.
Unread 03-13-2002, 07:58 AM

meg29,
have you read my post, just in front of yours? I have all sorts of wierd symptoms and my periods are very light, last only 3 to 4 days and my cycle is 34 days long. My doc never mentioned anything else but endo and possible adeno, but she is not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 06:20 AM
Prolapse,

Hello Longwindingroad,

Have you tried a pessary for the prolapse. ?

Elise
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:22 AM

Boy can I relate to the urinary incontinence. My fibroid is 9 mos... It more than tripled in size in less than a year! Anyway, the urinary thing, backache and bowel problems are why I am having this surgery! This thins is pressing on all my internal organs... to say nothing of ruining my girlish figure! LOL

I feel PRESSURE all the time. The gyno asked if my pants felt tight. I told him I couldn't even fit into pants.

How embarassing is leaking urine? It doesn't just happen when I sneeze , cough, or stand up... walking makes me pee! I hope this fixes the problem. My surgeon says it should and if not I will have to go back for a bladder surgery. He said current thought is not to do them at the same time.... doesn't make sense to me!

Looking forward to smelling good and being dry! :
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:11 AM
RE: Strange Symptoms - Can U Help?

Wow - you guys are the greatest! I feel so relieved that I am not alone. When I try to explain it to friends (and even most doctors) I get THE LOOK. People try to be helpful and kind but if they haven't gone through this they have no idea what I'm talking about. I hate this so much. The person who said it feels like a balloon full of water hit the nail right on the head. Lots of other comments about everyone's different symptoms were very helpful. I am tired of feeling like a freak! Do any of you have trouble making it through a day of work? I teach small groups of students all day and there is no reason for me to be tired at the end of the day. But I am wiped out. I can barely make it to the car. On top of that I have to wear sunglasses in the classroom because the lights bother me. (Not dark sunglasses, just the lighter ones - just to take the "glare" off.) I don't know how much, or any, of this is connected to the hyster but I'll tell you what - this is sick but sometimes I am thankful for the scheduled surgery just to know I can be put out for a few hours and not deal with this that day! LOL ~ I'll be wishing for THIS when I am hugging the morphine pump!
Unread 03-15-2002, 06:58 PM

Shelleygirl, You mentioned a neurologist, have you had a MRI of your lower back? I didn't have heavy bleeding either.Had pain in my back, when sitting and when standing , right after getting up from a sitting possition. Turned out after my TAH the disk in my back blew. Didn't have the problem diagnosed properly. Even if after more than one opinion the answers don't seem right, be sure your ok with the decision to have surgery. About being tired did you have a blood test? hows your iron and THS level.
Unread 03-17-2002, 09:23 PM
pessary

Hi Eliser,

Well, no I haven't tried one --- as no doctor has even suggested one. Actually they aren't doing much of anything for me at all...
I actually did call my regular gyn's office once when I was having a particularly awful time of it, begging for them to give me one, but he was out of town...by the time he got back I was feeling a bit better, and was scheduled to see a uro-gyn. Even with all of my symptoms no one seems to think it's that bad! I've read that 'they' (gyns & uro-gyn's) are SUPPOSED to examine for prolapse with you upright or standing, but none of the three I've seen have done so. Can't they comprehend gravity?! When I lie on that table everything just slides back in and down towards my spine 'pretending' to be where it should, but sitting and standing is entirely different! Tired of having to try to diagnose myself and demand any sort of help - I am not a whiner, I have physical defects and want them fixed so I can get back to life!
(work more, enjoy my activities instead of being too afraid to ever leave the house for fear of what piece of my lower anatomy is going to let me down)! Thanks everyone for reading (listening) it's a lonely existence when you have these kinds of problems.
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:17 AM
Cricket

Symptoms then diagnosis. This after THREE years or more trying to get one. Increasing early to late labor like symptoms, as if something needed delivered to include leg and low back pain. Pain originating in middle of belly button straight down and radiating to the right side. To include a frozen hip socket after swelling and standing. Clummsiness due to overall below waist pain and additional "weight". Also bowel problems, hurts and is huge, no sensation of need to go until totally "full". Then some urgency as if it won't "stay in" another minute. Feelings like bladder never totally empty. Minor to more pain upon deep intercourse penetration, and sometime even slight nausea. The feeling I need a wheelbarrow to carry stomach, and a sling to hold things in and up. Also numbness in extremeties early on, night sweats, incapacitating pain totally effecting quality of life. Dizziness and migranes in the beginning. All pains WORSE after more than an hour or two of standing, now constantly feels as if "baby" but not pg, pressing on pelvic floor. Constant low grade fever and flu symptoms mild to pretty hard to "ignore". Brain fog and inability to concentrate an ANYTHING but the pain. TIRED all the time, as in sleep can't always feel the PAIN. Diagnoisis: Investigated all back problems and yes L4 and L5 affected among others, not enough for surgery. Adhesions on an intact APPENDIX, uterus tipped toward rectum and VARICOSE VEINS in ligaments or organ leading to uterus that was used to carry blood supply and nutrients to baby. Four vaginal births. 47 yrs old. Pelvic floor muscles SHOT in addition to all the above. Starting signs of depression due to "bad treatment" or lack of medical help diagnosising the problem. Total change in normal "lifestyle". Becoming increasingly doubtful of own sensations as all kept "dismissing" my pain. ANGER delux, and frustration. Problem FINALLY diagnoised with a laproscopy, which I would recommend as then THEY know it is NOT in our head. (and WE get validation for our pain). I had heavy bleeding after last child at 41 and medicine given HID symptoms, and CAUSED chemical menopause. Wouldn't recommend this "hide the symptoms to ANYONE. NEVER buy that diagnosis of "in your head" , and keep looking for a doctor that will 1) take your pain seriously 2) not recommend hyster without cause or explaniation of procedure and how this will HELP you 3) NOt tell you it is all in your head. You have many other women to validate the "pains". both mental and physical. Keep looking and trying till you finds someone willing to HELP YOU, not themselves by making it an EASY and possible incorrect diagnosis diagnosis.
Unread 03-18-2002, 06:26 AM
Cricket

Also wanted to say after taking Depo for five years, no periods what so ever but other symptoms began in double time upon stopping the depo, which is VERY bad stuff in itself I now know. So at the time the REAL pain began NO periods or bleeding what so ever. It was amazing to me how many doctors played bouncy ball with me, never considering FEMALE NORMAL deteroration for ANY of the symptoms or perimeno. Got NO help for several years was told too young for perimeno at 41!!! and I too broke down cried and begged for some DIAGNOISTIC testing to NO avail, but my persistance FINALLY paid off. This in itself is a CRIME upon women in pain. A man would NEVER be treated like this nor told to "lose it all" without justification or that it was "in his head". Most women obgyn as bad as the men, but finally found ONE blessed soul of a female dr. that TALKED to me and explained self and my symptoms. Many doctors REFUSE to do ANY testing to pin point the problem. Also found I have chronic appendicitus. In my head? NOT. Keep looking for a doctor that will help. Get angry INSIST on tests and that it is NOT in your head. Go to www. pelvicfloor.com. for detailed info and help understanding problems and surgical solutions. Good luck

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register