pe op anxiety | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pe op anxiety pe op anxiety

Unread 03-12-2002, 10:50 AM
pe op anxiety

i am worried. i really hope this helps the modd swings and the fatigue . i am worried about the time off , boy this is tough i go to the doc 3/13 and am trying for 3/21 when i get my hernia repaired. i want it all done at one time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:09 PM
pe op anxiety

Hi, Nurseconnie,

When I was a Lady-in-waiting, I found this website, after visiting other websites. For me, finding Hystersisters felt like discovering a new community of girlfriends. It helped me to know that there were other women who had shared some of my experiences. I didn't feel quite so alone anymore. As I read the posts, women kept assuring me, via Hystersisters, that waiting is the worst part. That became my mantra.

"Waiting is the worst part. Waiting is the worst part."

And you know, it's really true. Waiting is the worst part.

While waiting for surgery, I think it's normal to feel anxious. I had strange, scary dreams. I worried about my recovery, my family, the outcome of my surgery.

Finally, the big day came. I was admitted to the hospital. I had a hysterectomy.

For six weeks, I rested, drank lots of water, walked, and rested. My family took good care of me. I had back pain for about a week. I was extremely fatigued. I rested, and I healed.

Today is the nine month anniversary of my surgery. I feel great. I am more active than I was before my surgery. I feel much better than I did before my surgery. I pass the feminine hygiene aisle in the store, and I laugh! For me, hysterectomy was the right choice, and all that waiting was worth it.

You're not alone. Waiting is tough, but it may help to know that you have many Hystersisters, and we all care about you. I'll keep you in my prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:21 PM
Waiting is the worst part (so far)

Dear Princesses,

I find such comfort in the fact that so many of us here are feeling the same things. I have gotten alot from each of your posts.

This waiting is getting more difficult with each passing day (and each surging hormone.) I'm so hyper.

Now my mind has started playing tricks on me. I was at work today deep in though and kaboom next thing I know I am thinking about my surgery. I put things down and poof they disappear. I will be having surgery on 3/20/02 in the hospital that I work at if I don't forget how to get there.

Does anyone else have difficulty focusing at work and home? My plan is to get everything done at work this week and coast through next Monday and Tuesday. Clean the house this weekend and that should be it.

Thank you all again for the tips and advice.
With a warm heart,
Suzgal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 08:41 PM
pe op anxiety

Hi suzgal and nurse connie!

I am getting anxious as well. My TAH is 3/28. I notice that I am getting a little cranky and my feelings are easily hurt. I have been off of HRT since January preparing for this surgery. I, too, am extremely fatigued and am sick to death of the hotflashes and headaches.

To top it off I just sent a cranky little email to the love of my life... Ouch! I can hardly wait to get this over with and get back my HRT so I can return to normal life and my independent , not so needy personality.

Suzgal ~ I am envious that you are working. I was laid off in November and find that I have a little too much time to think. I'm sure that I will be a mess when I go into register on the 27th and am not above asking for a tranquilizer to get me through the night.

Hang in there gals ... we are gonna make it!
Unread 03-14-2002, 12:39 AM
pe op anxiety

Hiya sistahs!

Hey suzgal, I am also having my surgery on 3/20, a SAH if all goes well. There are a lot of us going on that date, at least five or six that I know of! And it seems we are all freaking out too, LOL.

I have been having weird dreams, trouble sleeping, crying at the drop of a hat. Add to that the fact that for the last four months I have been too ill to do much in the way of housework, and this place looks like a tornado came through. I don't think there is much hope of getting everything done that needs to be done beforehand. I've been on temp disability (doctor ordered) since 10/23, and don't have the $$$ to buy everything I need for post-op and take care of necessary expenses before surg, but I'm sure I will muddle through somehow.

I'm going to try to talk the anesthesiologist into a spinal with sedation or an epidudural. I am reeeeeeaaaaaallly askeered of general anesthesia - I think that is my biggest fear!! I worry so much about my daughter having no one to love her or take care of her if anything goes wrong in surgery. But, I guess these are all normal pre-op jitters.

I'm trying my hardest to focus on how much better I'll feel after surgery. My life has been consumed for the past many years with pain, bleeding, fatigue and crankiness. I used to have energy to spare for any activity. Now there are days (a lot of them) when I can barely make it from one room to another. I'm looking forward to being my energetic and positive self again.

See you all on the other side. My best wishes go with each and every one of you. I just hope I can make it through the next six days without having a nervous breakdown!!
Unread 03-14-2002, 01:14 AM
pe op anxiety

It is so reassuring that others are having pre-op anxiety. I too am scheduled for surgery on March 20...but I am still awaiting insurance approval because I plan to have a breast reduction in addition to the hyster. My nerves are on end! I am a single mom who has recently quit a very lucrative job because of fatigue. I am so exhausted that getting off the couch to do anything is a challenge. My period is every 3 weeks and I bleed like a slaughtered pig...between the PMS that last 2 weeks and the 8 day period...the hysterectomy seems like a God Send!

My pre-op is tomorrow and tonight I have eaten an entire bag of Oreos. I have been off of sugar for over 4 weeks and now I cave in...must be all the emotional craziness I am experiencing.

I can't wait until this is all over and I am on the other side of the initial recuperation.
Unread 03-14-2002, 04:59 AM
pe op anxiety

I had my surgery (TAH) on 2/26. I was a nervous wreck for the 2 weeks before surgery. Kept working but had a difficult time keeping my mind on work.I started second-guessing my decision and had butterflies in my stomach that grew and grew each day , and I imagined I would probably pass out from anxiety when I was being wheeled into the op room.

When I arrived at the hospital, I was wound up so tightly I thought I would burst. Then there was a mix-up in my surgery time- I was told it would be early morning, then after i checked in, the nurse told me it was noon...that was a real let down! Then all of a sudden they were in at 7 a.m. and said it was time to go! Talk about yo-yo emotions! I have to say the pre-op waiting was the most difficult time- immediately after the surgery while I was in recovery, I had such a feeling of relief that it was over! Hang in there and know others are thinking of you and know exactly what you are going through!
Unread 03-14-2002, 07:38 AM
pe op anxiety

blecesne, and the rest of the sisters,

I had to laugh out loud when I read that you ate an entire bag of Oreos. Last night, at midnight, I was foraging around my kitchen for some stress relief and ended up eating part of a wedge of brie and some rye triscuits. And, since they really don't go together it didn't even really hit the spot.

For the last few months I have been have been trying to lose some extra weight and have been successful. Well, as successful as one can be when carrying a fibroid that is larger than a basketball. ( Which by the way I have named Francine). Now, this week, I am trying to break all the rules. There simply is not enough red meat in the world for me. As someone who basically eats fish I think this is interesting. I am wondering if my iron is low so am going to try and eat some iron rich foods.

My other feeling for some reason is this feeling that I am not attractive. I feel like I have had a bad case of the uglies all week. You know those weeks when all the makeup and hair products in the world don't seem to make a dent in the problem?

And, I am always on the verge of tears. I had to actually change stations when watching a rerun of Spin City ( Michael J Fox's last episode) because I knew I would boo hoo all the way through it.

I put on a happy , carefree face for my family, friends and significant other since I don't want to bring them down.... so you can imagine what a god-send this site is for me.

You are all in my thoughts
Unread 03-14-2002, 02:44 PM
pe op anxiety

Hi suzgal
Yes that sounds just like me. I am 10 days post op LAVH/BSO. The week b4 surgery I waited in a long line at the bank and not until I was to the teller did I realize I was at the wrong bank!
I would forget what I was doing in mid-stream, and the only things I got accomplished were the absolute essentials, which was about half my list.
The waiting is the worst part.

Good Luck
suek
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:45 PM
Pre op anxiety

Hello Princesses,

Today I took the day off to clean my bedroom and tidy up the house. I had also brought some work home figuring that it would be easier for me to concentrate at my diningroom table instead of my office.

Well ha-ha what a joke that was. I started by making myself a nice breakfast and watched the news. Then I proceeded to read the newspaper. It was a beautiful day here in New Jersey so I sat out on the front steps daydreaming for awhile.

Somehow before I knew it the clock showed that it was already 2:30 in the afternoon. It wasn't until I went upstairs to finally take a shower that I realized that my bedroom still looked a mess. How did I completely forget that was my mission for today?

Oh well, I still have the weekend! I surrender---I will not longer even try to have a plan. My only objective is to make it to 7:30AM on Wednesday morning in one piece. Sometimes I actually feel like I might jump out of my skin.

Take care out there ladies!
With a warm heart,
Suzgal

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register