Need some encouraging words-- THANKS | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need some encouraging words-- THANKS Need some encouraging words-- THANKS

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Need some encouraging words-- THANKS

I am scheduled for TVH/BSO on Monday March 18. I have been dealing with it pretty good up till today WITH ALL THE SUPPORT FROM YOU WONDERFUL SISTERS . I went for my Pre Op work this a.m. and have felt like crying ever since I came home. I just can't shake this feeling. Maybe it's because I talked with the nurses , filled out forms and even talked with the 'A' man.
Any way , Some comforting words would be great right now. Thanks soooooo much !!! Terri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:33 PM

Hi, Terri,

I remember feeling anxious and worried before my surgery. I went around chanting, "Waiting is the worst part. Waiting is the worst part," for days.

I learned that waiting is the worst part from my Hystersisters. I learned lots of other things from those same warm, caring, supportive ladies.

And it's really true. Waiting is the worst part.

After my pre-op appointment, the whole thing became so much more real, for me. I was going to have surgery! In a hospital! In just a few days!

Those few days passed, and I got through them by going shopping, cooking and freezing a few meals for my family, taking a warm, relaxing bath each evening, praying, and keeping generally busy. I focused on doing things that made me feel good.

The big day finally came. I had a hysterectomy. I spent six weeks resting, drinking lots of water, walking, and resting some more. I healed and recovered.

Today is the nine month anniversary of my surgery. I feel great, I'm much more active than before, and I've never regretted my choice.

In the next few days, I hope you'll take some time for yourself. Enjoy your loved ones. Do things that make you feel good. Try to find peace within yourself.

I'll keep you in my prayers. Please let us know how you're doing.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-12-2002, 01:49 PM

Terri, I'm nervous too, but I figure all I can do is get through the time before my castle visit. It seemed to crawl by for weeks, but now I can't believe how fast it's gone -- I go in tomorrow.

I went for my pre-op yesterday and it all got really real for me too. I'm still a little scared. Journaling about my thoughts and fears has helped me a lot, as has talking to friends, and, of course, HysterSisters!

What I'm trying to do now is just surrender to the future. Trust that the hospital staff will take good care of me. Trust that things will go well. It's hard for me -- I'm not built that way -- but it helps. Plus I do LOTS of deep breathing and I take homeopathics for nerves.

Good luck and hang in there!!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 02:22 PM

Ditto what princessh said. I got that stronger anxiety when the pre op visits were done., too.

If you are having trouble with nerves or sleeplessness there are things available to help you. I don't take anything usually, but, I really needed help with this. My dr. did not want me totally exhausted by the time my date at the castle arrived and gave me Ambien. It helped alot.

They can also put something in the i.v. while you are waiting on your surgery day that will calm you. They gave me Versed and it worked really well. Don't be afraid to ask. And then don't be afraid to use it.

Be sure to check with your dr. about ANYTHING you are taking before surgery, especially the last two weeks. Taking something on your own without the dr. o.k. can be very serious.
Unread 03-12-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm with you!

Hey Terri,

You and I are scheduled on the same day. Mine, TAH BSO. I also am very nervous. Never fear, Hyster Sisters are here! I have had a lot of help with the website here. Found a lot of encouraging words from a lot of really nice people. I am so nervous, I feel like throwing up all the time! I have a HUGE knot in my stomach. Feel like you are in a constant ?????

Can't think straight? Can't concentrate?

I'm there with you. Keep your chin up and hang on!

Cheryl
Unread 03-12-2002, 03:06 PM

Terri, Cheryl, Melissa -

I echo the sentiments of the others- the waiting is the hardest part!

My cousin, who has been fighting ovarian cancer for years, told me before I went to the hospital - "You can be very brave and still be scared". It's normal to be scared, especially as the time gets closer. Generally, all the things you were afraid of will end up being nothing (though that doesn't stop us from worrying!).

You'll all do fine! Heed the advice to rest, drink lots of fluids, and walk, and ask the doctors and nurses for anything you need - even if that's just a hand to hold!! I couldn't believe how wonderful they all were.

We'll be thinking of you!!
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:02 PM

THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL COMFORTING WORDS. I WILL BE THINKING OF ALL MY "SISTERS" COME MONDAY MORNING SO I WILL NOT BE ALONE. THANKS SO MUCH !!!!
Terri

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register