May 6 for TAH | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

May 6 for TAH May 6 for TAH

Unread 03-12-2002, 01:10 PM
April 15 TAH / Surgery Time Question

Well, I wasn't nervous before but now I am. I have my surgery scheduled for May 6 unless something happens and they can move it up. I hate having six weeks to pace the floors.

I did decide to have the ovaries go to. I have had cysts back and forth on both through the years and I just don't want to go back for another surgery.

I only have periods once every six months and they don't understand that with the large fibroid. They ran tests and it showed I am not premenopausal so who knows.

Does the surgery take a lot longer if you remove the ovaries? Do you risk losing a lot more blood than if you just have uterus removed?

Thank you, Kathy

The nurse just called and they had a cancellation and moved my date up to April 15th - Yikes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:50 AM
Best Wishes

Kathy

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery.

I had TAH/LSO and the surgery was scheduled to take around 90 minutes. When the dr opened me up he found quite a mess, so it turned out to be a 3 hour surgery. There was no great blood loss for me, but each lady is different, but I haven't read too much about excessive blood lose during surgery. You may want to discuss this with your dr.

So pleased for you that your surgery has been brought forward. I had 10 weeks notice pre op, and now, in the blink of an eye, I am 13 weeks post. Where did the time go?

Post op, just remember everything you have read here about resting, walking and drinking fluids. Repeat this often.

All the very best for your surgery and recovery.

Regards
Gail
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:37 AM
Ladies in Waiting

Kmarie, I know waiting *****. Though I didn't have to wait long after the surgery was scheduled, I had known for 10 years that I'd eventually have to have it at some point. Relax and keep your normal schedule, take time also to do things you've been putting off. Start a small garden now and you'll have pretty plants greet you when you come home from the castle.

Buckkie, mine was 2 1/2 hours. My poor DH was sweating bullets in the waiting room. He was expecting 90 min also. Right about the blood loss too. For religious reasons, I refused to take blood of any kind, but do accept non-blood expanders. I just got the itemized hosptial bill and it looks like my doc was so careful, I didn't need any of it.

Kmarie, start taking iron now, even if you're not anemic. If there is blood loss during surgery, the extra iron will help you. I took iron starting 4 weeks prior and I believe it helped me.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register