Vaginal Sonogram??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Sonogram??? Vaginal Sonogram???

Unread 03-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Vaginal Sonogram???

This was one thing I was not prepared for. All my sonograms for thirteen years of dealing with my fibroid (Max) and I never, ever had an invasive sonogram until today!!!

I had a regular sonogram and then the vaginal and I was just a little shocked. Has many ladies here had to do this? I've just never hear of it.

Just thought I'd ask. . .

By the way - once my fibroid got big enough - it got a name. I was so happy seeing on this board that we weren't the only ones naming a fibroid.
We chose Max for Maximillian the Bull because I'm usually so full of bull!!!

Besides if you don't try to make light of a situation like this you'll go crazy. My uterus is the size of a 20 week pregnancy and while they thought Max was close to the size of a basketball-as it turns out it is larger than a grapefruit but not as large as a basketball - thank goodness.

Take care, Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 01:33 PM
MAX

I was surprised with the vaginal ultrasound as well. But it was a pleasant surprise. Very easy way to get plenty of information. I thanked the technician over and over for making it an easy experience. I am 42 and when the tech came in to do it he was about my age. I was so embarrassed. Then he asked if I wanted a female nurse present. I said of course not - these people are very busy. So I went ahead and within about a minute I was totally involved in watching the screen. Amazing what technology offers today! But I do think you bring up a very valid point - the procedures we are given should be discussed in detail when scheduling - BEFORE we show up for them! Then we can take our time looking up info in books and on the Internet. At any rate, so glad it's over for you! Now, what's the plan for Max?
Unread 03-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Vaginal Sonogram

Kathy:

I too, had a vaginal sonogram following the pelvic one. It was unusual to me, but yielded the results the needed. I had multiple fibroids both inside and outside the uterus, the largest located in the uterine lining the size of 2 very large grapefruits, making my uterus the size of a four month pregnancy.

Last Tuesday I had a TAH and am well on the way to recovery. I'm sure everything will be fine for you as well!

Cheryl Lomax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Vaginal Sonogram???

I had a vaginal ultrasound right before my hyst too. I had known about them for years, but just had the abdominal ones with pregnancies & ovarian cyst. The dr can get a better look at the uterus from this kind of ultrasound. I was surprised to find that it wasn't AS uncomfortable as I imagned it would be.
Unread 03-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Vaginal Sonogram???

I got to have 2 of them. Two separate times...lucky me. One by a tech and one by a doctor. I have to say that the tech actually explained it first! But the doc had a chickie in the room as my chaperone, so I guess he didn't think about it.

Sara
Unread 03-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Vaginal Sonogram???

Hi Kathy -

Had to have quite a few vaginal sonograms -- pretty much par for the course for us fibroid gals (oops -- not me anymore, I had a TAH/BSO 8 weeks ago). The amount of information they yield for the doctor/surgeon is incredible -- we're pretty lucky that we have such technology available.

Tell Max to take it easy on you!

-Leslie
Unread 03-12-2002, 06:47 PM
Vaginal Sonogram???

Kathy,

I'll jump in too to say that today I had a vaginal ultrasound prior to my surgery scheduled for 3/27 -- have had them before and prefer this type cuz I don't have to drink a gallon of water and hold it in my already weak bladder while sitting in the waiting room "waiting" to be called.

It's a more accurate way to get a picture, and when I asked the doc why he was doing it, he reported that he wanted to get a general picture of my anatomy "in there" (i.e., any change in fibroid size or growth, etc) so he didn't meet with any unnecessary surprises.

Some comforting information as a result of this sonogram was that my right ovary "looked perfect"; my left ovary has a cyst on it. As long as he doesn't find any endometriosis (?), I believe he said on the ovaries, or other problems (that prior testing hadn't diagnosed) that I would be able to keep my ovaries.

Yeah for me!

You'll be okay, I'll be okay -- we'll be okay!

SueK
Unread 03-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Vaginal Sonogram???

Have had 3 vaginal ultrasounds. One in the hospital 3 years ago when we figured it out....and a few others. Each time I had the abdominal one and the vaginal one. Sometimes it was a bit uncomfortable. You'd think they would have one that is flexible! lol It was a akward moment! The first time at the hospital, the tech said....Take this and gently insert it and then I'll take it from ther. That was of weird. The other two the tech at the dr.'s office just took care of it herself. The pushing to get pic's and where she wanted wasn't my favorite thing, but that is nothing compared to everything else!

Glad for modern technology!!
cosmocyndi
Unread 03-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Vaginal Sonogram???

I've had quite a number of transvaginal ultrasounds over the last year - they are great, because they provide a lot more information (they can get views from more angles than when they do it from outside your body), so can more clearly show where problems are. Plus, you don't have to drink a ton of water and feel like you're going to burst! I always hated that. All of the ultrasound techs are very professional, and do all they can to make you feel comfortable with this procedure if you've never had it done.
Unread 03-12-2002, 07:50 PM
me too

Hi Kathy,

Every time I've had an external ultrasound I've had the vaginal ultrasound. I've just assumed everyone did as common practice. For me, it has been three times in three years with a full bladder. I don't think at this point I know why an ultrasound is done on some of us and a sonogram on others. I do know the vaginal type exams are very informative...but there can always be a suprise once the doctor actually gets inside during surgery.

Shellygirl and I want to know what you are going to do with Max.

Take care, Maralyn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register