I'm An Insomniac! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm An Insomniac! I'm An Insomniac!

Unread 03-12-2002, 02:12 PM
I'm An Insomniac!

Im a LIW and on Lupron. I haven't been able to sleep a decent nights rest (more than a few hours at a time), since I started the Lupron therapy. Because I don't sleep well at night, it bothers me during the day. I find it really hard to stay awake come about midday. I have to get up at 6 am Mon-Fri to dress, feed and get kids out the door for school. I also have a 4 year old that stays at home with me. Thank goodness I don't work, or I would be a royal mess. I had ben taking Tylenol PM and drinking decaf lemon soother tea prior to bed, but it isn't working anymore. Last night, I took some pain meds (percocet), this usually knocks me out if I lay down.. do ya think it did? NOPE! I was still awake come 12:30 and took the darn thing at 9. I tossed and turned in bed and didn't get to sleep until almost 3 this morning. I am becoming an insomniac and don't like it. I am suppose to get another (and last) lupron shot on the 15th of this month, but am seriously thinking about not taking it. I feel that the Lupron is causing the insomnia along with mood swings (sometimes really bad ones), joint aches and some pretty major hot flashes. I have placed a call into my GYN (who is on night shift) about this and am waiting for her call. Do any of you ladies have any thoughts on this post? I don't feel like I am the only one who has suffered or is suffering from this exact thing. I need some advice. My Hysterectomy isn't till April 23rd and doc really wanted me to do Lupron to stay comfortable (micro endo).. but I think I would be better off on narcotics for the pain instead of this crud. Thanks for letting me vent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 03:27 PM
I'm An Insomniac!

Oh yeah.. forgot to ask.. how safe are over the counter sleep aids (like unisom, etc). Anyone use any of those? If so, what did you use & did it work for you? Did you wake feeling groggy?
Unread 03-12-2002, 03:54 PM
I am an INSOMNIAC 2

So sorry about your insomnia. I too have had trouble with insomnia. My dr. gave me Trazodone 50mg. I take one before going to bed at night. I'm out in about a half an hour. They are categorized as an antidepressant but are also used for insomnia and is not addicting like ambien. They really work! Sometimes I feel a little groggy upon rising but nothing a cup of coffee cant take care of. Or if your not into caffeine, which I really am not. Just stay motivated till you get moving good. Load the dishwasher or do some light exercises like leglifts or use 3lb weights. I hope you get through this part, ask your dr about the Trazodone. My surgery is the 20th of this month. Im getting nervous. But the dr checked me and said we had no other alternative but a TAH. And he scheduled it immediately. My uterus is 3 x larger than normal the dr said. However big that is. And thats all I really know. I have another post with all my symptoms if you want to check it out. Hope you feel better soon. Let me know what your dr says. Your supposed to talk to her later tonight right. Post back and let me know .. blessings, Mikki

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 03:57 PM
its me again

I have used over the counter meds like that. Sominex I think was what I used. But most of them have the same active ingredients as tylenol pm. So they may not help. I have trouble with restless leg syndrome and those products seem to irritate that. Also, Nyquil and other sleepaids with that same ingredient as tylenol pm. Love ya, mikki

Unread 03-12-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm An Insomniac!

Sent hubby to store to get me something to help me sleep better.. he came back with.. tada: Simply sleep! Esentially.. it's benadryl! A lot of good this will do me. I am going to have to talk to my doc as soon as she calls me (which could very well be a couple of days) and see if she will give me something.. thanks for replies..

Will post again on this same thread tomorrow and let you all know if I slept worth a darn.......

Unread 03-12-2002, 05:35 PM
I'm An Insomniac!

Amy -

Food for thought -- the hospital gave me benadryl when I couldn't sleep and it worked like a charm (yet it keeps my son up all night -- who can figure?).

I've been down the Lupron road twice - and I remember the hot flashes -- are you on the Lupron so you can try to have a vaginal hyster as opposed to an abdominal? I didn't have any insomnia when I was on the Lupron - but my son suffers terribly from insomnia (he's 10) and has for 2 years so I know how devastating it can be.

Hope you get some

Leslie
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Me too!

I am in the same situation, however, my insomnia is due to surgery/Premarin, not Lupron.

My gyno gave me Ambien, which is for sleeping. It works wonderfully!!! I was going up to 40 hours at a time without sleeping at all!!

I do NOT recommend taking benedryl, Nyquil and other medications solely for sleeping. These meds are for ailments and many people have the opposite effect and stay awake!

Too, I wouldn't take Trazodone if you are able to successfully take Ambien or another sleep agent. I am familiar with Trazadone and I wouldn't recommend taking it only for those sleepness nights, as this may cause withdrawal symptoms. An antidepressant, taken on a daily basis could cause withdrawal symptoms when not taking it! Ask your doctor for something to help you SLEEP, not something for allergies/colds/etc...... Just thinking of your health!

Best wishes, and happy Zzzzz's !
Reba
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Leslie

I am on Lupron for endometriosis.. hopeing this had worked so I didn't have to go off of it and back on drugs till surgery in April. It helps with the pain (still get some off and on) but the side effects are aweful.

I just took 2 of the Simply Sleep pills (as box says to do) and am drinking a cup of hot decaf tea.. hoping to catch some 's tonight before I am a walking zombie from lack of sleep. Will post tomorrow and let everyone know how I slept..

Amy
Unread 03-12-2002, 10:53 PM
I'm An Insomniac!

As I sit here, it is 1 a.m. my time and Im wide awake. The darn simply sleep hasn't done anything to me. Been tossin and turnin in bed for 3 hours. Was really trying to fall asleep, but couldn't. Someone needs to hit me over the head and knock me out already, this is insane. My doc called me a few hours ago and hs given me a script for Trazodone which I will pick up tomorrow. I sure hope this works, I can't keep going this way. We had a good long talk and she is stil doing the hyster (vag) on 4/23 and going to try to leave my left ovary. Well... hope the rest of you sleep peacefully!
Unread 03-13-2002, 05:10 AM
I'm An Insomniac!

I am so mad I could scream! I didnt fall asleep till 3:30 this morning and hadda get up at 6.............

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register