I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient

Unread 03-12-2002, 08:45 PM
I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient

Hi! Well I am scheduled for for my surgery on March 28th. I am a nurse so I am not looking foard to becoming a patient. Any nurses out there who have had this operation? The Dr. is going to try the Vag. hyst. But I might have a TAH and keep my ovaries. Iguess I am more anxious about the hospital stay then the operation! I have had 3 myomectomies for fibroids. The bleeding every month is so bad so I am need this operation. Take Care. Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 12:05 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Angela! Welcome to HysterSisters--a most wonderful site! I'm an inactive RN (haven't worked for 15 years), but I think it wasn't that hard to become a patient, since nurses know more of what to expect in a hospital. Reading a lot here at HysterSisters helped to prepare me for accepting a hyst and taught me about the practical aspects of dealing with hyst and recovery, though. There are things drs and staff don't think of, but fellow sisters who have gone through this can give great support and helpful hints. Post any questions you think of--no question is too silly, and probably has been asked before! The home page has pull-down menus of other women's stories and hints for pre op preparation. Also you can go up to the top of the page to "search" and type in any subject to read past threads about something you're interested in. I'm sure you will be feeling so much better and healthier when you're post op and into recovery--I feel great now! You can send me a private message or email any time (click "profile" under my post). 's and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 03-13-2002, 01:55 AM

Hi Cat,
I am a licensed RN but haven't practiced in several years. My surgery is scheduled March 27th and I am experiencing the same anxiety related to the hospital stay. I think we understand the surgery is fairly routine but we have also seen too much unfold in the hospital. I plan to probe the anesthesiologist during my pre-op on the 19th and hope he/she allays my fears. My worst fear is recovery. Thanks for sharing and it will be nice to support one another as we move through this experience. My best, Veronica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 06:03 AM

Hi Angela,
I am not RN, but I live in NJ, Manalapan and will have my surgery on April 12 in CentraState Hospital. Where in NJ are you?
Unread 03-13-2002, 06:32 AM

Hi Angela!

I'm an RN and even worked OB/GYN for about a year until a couple of years ago when a Peds office called & asked me to come work for them.

My surgery was at a different hospital from where I had worked. Call me silly, but I tried to avoid anyone there knowing I'm a nurse because I didn't want them to assume that I already knew everything and then not explain anything to me. I was afraid I'd forgotten some things or they may know things I'd never heard before, so I wanted to know what they always tell patients.

This is a great site & I'm glad you found it pre. I didn't find it until about a week post. I have learned things here they don't teach you in nursing school & the drs don't tell you. Even if you work in this field in the hospital, you don't see what women experience during recovery at home.

Since you already know things that could go wrong, it can be a little scary, but being a nurse and "in the know" is an advantage too. Like when a nurse had my morphine pump set wrong, I was aware of that and kindly had her recheck my chart. She did & reset it. Otherwise, it would have continued on the wrong setting unless someone else noticed it. It also helps with being patient. Since you know how time consuming all the charting is and all the other things we have to do other than checking on the patients is, it helps to be a little more patient if the nurse isn't right there immediately when you call requesting something like pain or nausea meds for example. This way, you may know to call a little early for something like a pain med so that it should be there by the time you really need it.

I know you are not looking forward to switching roles right now, but just try to relax and enjoy being on the pampered side this time. My hopsital experience as a patient wasn't really that bad.

Feel free to e-mail me anytime if you want to talk. And do come back & let us all know how it went.
Unread 03-14-2002, 06:22 AM

Dear cat,

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am a former labor
and delivery RN, and present pedi er nurse.

I am very nervous about the hospital stay. I ask my doc if I could have
day surgery and he laughed at me. Then I tried to get the days of stay
in to 1 instead of 3, he said he would see how I feel. I will have a TAH/BSO
on April 2nd

I had ankle surgery a few years ago, the nurses were so overworked
and they thought " she can take care of herself" .

I will be thinking of you.

I am going to try to be a "good" patient, My dh thinks that it will be very
difficult??

Nurses are the worst patients you know

I think we all deserve a little pampering.

Good luck,

bbatt
Unread 03-14-2002, 07:08 AM

{{{{{Angela}}}}}} I am an RN also....worked in the OB/GYN field most of my life but have been inactive for 4 years now. It is the worst for us because we know all the "things" that can go wrong and dwell on them. I always tell my hubby when I am sick "maybe I have cancer." And waiting to have my hyst was no different. Please know that I am almost 11 months post and waiting and thinking is the worst part of it. You WILL be fine!!!!! This site was a Godsend as well. Good luck to you, my friend and fellow nurse! Remember, us nurses have to stick together!!!!!

Emily s
Unread 03-14-2002, 07:38 AM
RN to have surgery

hi, just joined. i am an unemployed med/surg nurse in california although my daughter was born in new brunswick, nj 14 yrs ago. i wish you welll and with your background you will be your own advocate and will do fine. i wil be calling my dr. today to schedule my hysterectomy. i am 41, had bilateral tubal ligation in 1989 and have a 8 cm fibroid on top of uterus that doesn/t cause bleeding, but i am bloated, fibroid has consistantly grown for 4 years and now i have a polyp that needs to be addressed. so i told my doc, take my uterus, it is a garden for growths and i want it out before it does cause problems and i dont want myomectomy or uae, just take the thing out and be done.
where will your surgery be? what had been your problems?

jackie in cal.
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:07 AM

Hi Cat,

I have worked the insurance end of ob/gyn for many years, and now that the shoe is on the other foot.....I don't like it one bit.
I have tried to avoid surgery for 18 months now, however, the bleeding has become unmanagable and the pain is worse than ever so I finally surrendered and scheduled LAVH for March 27th.

I do think having "too much information" about all the stuff that can go wrong has caused my initial stress level about all this to be higher. For the moment I am in a good place though, everytime my mind wanders over to the "what ifs", I just remind myself that the majority of these surgeries go very well. Every person I have talked to is glad they did it, no regrets. Most have endured enough pain to make recovery seem better that where they had been!!!

So I am off to the "hospital hilton" in 13 days, and then I start to get MY life back!!!!! Wishing you all the best in your recovery........ see ya on the other side!!!
Unread 03-14-2002, 01:00 PM
RN

I too am an RN and anxious about being a patient. My last hospitalization outside of 2 vaginal childbirths was at age 12 for an appendectomy. I was very sick then due to the anesthesia. so I do not have fond memories. I am a school nurse now but I remember when I did work in the hospital we always recieved lots of candy from patients families. One family on a long-term floor would send in a case of delicious apples or naval oranges that was always a big hit. I plan on having my DH bring a case of apples in on my 2nd day. I also will bring a small basket to keep filled with mints and lifesavers at the bedside. I'm also planning on requesting a private room (it will cost $50/day) if one is available. I hope you all do well. My surgery is on April 8th at 9:30.
Happy thoughts,
Donna

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register