Surgery Canceled for 3rd time | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Surgery Canceled for 3rd time Surgery Canceled for 3rd time

Unread 03-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Surgery Canceled for 3rd time

Hello my dear sisters all over the world:

I am stressing beyond belief..Today, presently i have spasms down legs,lower bacck and pelvic region..Can you see my tears? I can..

I have never been through more humiliating ,disgust and anguish emotionally and physically. IT is just more than any one person can bare,but i am struggling to put my life back in order.

After getting all my calls returned from the President of Tampa General,Director of Nursing Servc,Director of Medical services, and the Director of Ambulatory Services with the county insurance i have, i reached no help at all. Everyone keeps passing the buck. I still don't know why everything took place,but have reached the conclusion in my mind that God didn't want things to take place and so things just never happened, The Surgery just never happened.
ALthough, i feel empty inside,hollow,and mostly air,i still continue to fight, you know me, i just don't give up. I am never really rude,but today, i kind of lost it,after the Case Mgr didn't return my call i decided to call her,as she returned my call,just before leaving for the day,she said that the Director of Diverse-A-Med Company has my chart and is reviewing it, They still feel i am a much too high candidate for surgery,reason being weight,and other risk factors,still, i just can't let that sink in, that is just a cop out..i truly believe they don't want to have nothing to do with me. Again my surgical team has been changed. and to tell you the truth,not sure if i want strangers cutting on my body who have never seen me or even me see them. Although i haven't told them yet that i have decided to cancel,perhaps the day before the surgery is really authorized and i have it in writing and the day i am supposed to prep,maybe i will tell them or just tell them i forgot to call them like they did me..
Tomorrow i am so happy to go to my Psychotherapist, i know i will be with her..But, for now i am planning my trip to New York,staten island Community Hospital. I am just waiting the call from Hospital coord. also the trip there will be paid for by Endo assoc,just have to put in my request for the trip,have space for a guess,perhaps by the time i go, i will have someone who can come along with me.. First time away from my family by myself,but think i will be alright.
Well still trying to hang in there..ALso my main doctor was so frustrated by all this mess,he opted to get off the surgical team. he just couldn't take the frustration over me not getting scheduled anymore..Believe,everyone is totally upset about this situation. My supervisor is going to hold a meeting with my mother and myself(we both work at same place but on various nights)since she has clients who are on medicaid and are developmentally disabled but she is well aware of the State and how they manipulate people..I am looking forward to that meeting..Well with tears in my eyes and the pains that just won't go away, i write this to you all. My heart swells with the support i have received over the last few weeks. Please continue to keep them coming as it spurs me on not to give up and to keep fighting this rediculous system we have to deal with and live in,the beautiful world of managed care, so to speak.
Till next time my friends,
Take care and think of me as i always, i mean always think of you,
Lydia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 11:21 PM

Lydia,

I was so glad to see your latest message as I had been wondering about you. It is unbelievable what you have been through and I just wanted you to know that you are in my prayers.
Unread 03-12-2002, 11:37 PM

Hi Lydia,

I'm so sorry they aren't treating you fairly. Do you think it's time for the Amnesty Int'l style letter writing campaign yet? The trip to NY sounds interesting, at least.

Sorry I just have a second... I hope you are feeling better soon, and keep hanging in there!

Gotta run! A hundred ((((HUGS)))) for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 04:58 AM

Hi Lydia,
I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your health and I hope you are able to find the solution so that healthier tomorrows are in front of you.

I do have a few comments that I hope you don't mind me offering.

I understand that on top of the endo you suffer from, there are other health concerns you are coping with. I'm sure the doctors in your state are concerned about your overall health. If they can not schedule your surgery because of these risk factors, it is important to understand what risk means. Risk means possible *death* or *long term* complications from a surgery. If you are overweight, have clotting issues, heart risks, scarring risks, etc....its imperative that your overall health be considered when a doctor (or hospital) elects to do surgery. There are *REAL* dangers involved.

Are you aware that the hysterectomy is *not* the cure for endo? I'm sure this is hard to understand but for many women who deal with endo and pain, having a hyst does not end their pain and suffering. In fact, having this hyst can complicate the issues of endo, pain, adhesions and such. (Visit our forum for long term complications and you will find many of our residents on "the Road" are endo patients.)

For someone who has as many health issues as you, I believe the doctors are behaving in a way that is *helping* you find long term answers to your lifelong issues of health concerns.

I wish you well as you continue to find answers to your health. I also hope that you look to alternatives to a healthier tomorrow instead of this surgery that is obviously not being scheduled. Eating different? Exercise? Pain management? Change in lifestyle?

There are a number of things in *your* control that I believe to be imperitive that you assume responsibility in order to gain other options in your future.

I wish you hugs, blessings and painfree tomorrows
Unread 03-13-2002, 05:25 AM

s Lydia!

I agree with what Kathy said. Plus, something else to think about...please be careful about what you're planning to do with cancelling at the hospital that cancelled on you. I would strongly advise against "forgetting to call them like they forgot to call" you. If you are a no show, they can still bill you since that time has been set aside for you and if they think you're coming, it will be too late to reschedule someone else for that time if you aren't there and they had no advance notice. If you refuse to pay, they can turn you over to a collection agency and ruin your credit. I know this doesn't sound fair since they did it to you, but that's just how it is in the business world and hospitals/dr's offices are businesses. Hospital bills are outrageous and I'm sure you wouldn't want to end up having to pay for services you didn't receive. Plus, all the headaches of trying to fight it will only add to the stresses you already have. It's just not worth it, so please reconsider giving them advance notice that you won't be there.

I hope all goes well for you!
Pam
Unread 03-13-2002, 05:35 AM

Lydia,

I am soooo sorry that you are experiencing another setback!!

Please keep us informed and if there is anything additional we can do to help, just ask!

Janet
Unread 03-13-2002, 06:46 AM

P.S.
Insurance companies won't pay for "no shows". (At least none I've heard of.) This becomes the patients responsibility since the insurance company isn't the one who tells the patient not to show up for an appointment.
Unread 03-13-2002, 01:49 PM
update/lydia

update/lydia

Most of you have been following updates from me..I have gotten some replies to the fact that i should just be more in tuned to the situation surrounding me and in so many words, should give up.

I am aware this is a very large site,however..many of you know me by my writing and replies and that is all..
My likes and dislike,the way i fight things,my intererst are all another subject.

I have thought quite a bit about your replies,while many of you, seem to think i should just give up. What would you do in my shoes?
Let me say this there is no one person, who can say,"oh, i know how you feel or i know what you are going through with,unless they have been there themselves."
I have been one never to point at anyone else especially if i don't know their background and exactly what they have experienced in life.
Know this i am a fighter,and like it or not,the healthcare system is totally wrong for what i have experienced the last few days.
I appreciate the support i have gotten,and i am not pointing fingers at anyone,as i am careful not to tell someone something that would be detrimental to them, I hope that others feel the same way.
What i fight and what another person decides to fight are two different things,we are not the same individuals in any way,shape or form. We have different and varying degrees at how we see things in life.
Anyway hope things are going well with you,
Lydia/Endo34
Unread 03-13-2002, 01:54 PM

(((((Lydia))))))

I hope you don't think I meant for you to give up by my post. I don't think I would either if the same thing was happening to me. I was cautioning about the not showing without calling so that nothing else bad will happen to you.

I do agree that the hospital was in the wrong by cancelling on you last minute after you had already gone through the bowel prep. Unless hospital administrators are made aware of how their employees are treating patients or potential patients, how else are they to know about it and correct it?

I really do hope all goes well for you.
Pam
Unread 03-13-2002, 02:12 PM

Lydia, I haven't seen any replies telling you to give up. What I have seen are responses by women who care about you. The fact that your surgery has been canceled several times is probably a sign that you need to take care of other health needs before the doctors will agree to perform a hysterectomy. No doctor will do this if you are not physically able to withstand this surgery.

I'm sorry that you are in pain. Hopefully you can take a few steps back and look at your entire health picture rather than focus only on the hysterectomy.
Closed Thread

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register