New here and with so many questions. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here and with so many questions. New here and with so many questions.

Unread 03-13-2002, 03:44 AM
New here and with so many questions.

Hi all,

Members of another BB pointed me to this website, I'm very happy to have found you. I'm a 45 year-old Dutch woman living in Perth (Scotland). I have two large fibroids (one orange size, other grapefruit size) and since they continue growing steadily, press on my bladder and intestines and make sitting very uncomfortable, my dr told me on Monday that he wants to do a hysterectomy. Given that this was the second visit, and on the first visit he declared that he didn't consider a hysterectomy as the first thing to do, I was rather shocked about this and completely forgot to ask the right questions. He did ask me whether I wanted the ovaries removed as well or not, and when I asked what he advised he said that for women under 40 he advises to leave them, but for women above 40 it's best to take them out as well. While he did say that I would have to have HRT-treatment after the full removal he didn't really inform me about the possible consequences and I didn't ask him. Can any of you point me to a place where I can find balanced information about the pro's and con's of the possible operations and the consequences? I've found the list with questions to ask , but I really want to know a bit more about it all before I try to get answers from him or the hospital before the operation (in April).
Thanks in advance,

Fay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 04:12 AM

Welcome to Hyster Sisters, Fay! If you aren't comfortable with the decision to have a hysterectomy, you can always get a second opinion. You might want to ask your doctor why he changed his mind about the surgery.

For information regarding ovary removal, here are several good links from former discussions.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=10987

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...&threadid=8076

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=11025

Whether you have an abdominal or vaginal hysterectomy, the initial recovery time is usually the same (6 - 8 weeks) If you work outside the home you'll need to be sure to take enough time off in order to heal properly.

Read all you can here.....there's lots of information. Don't forget the search icon at the top of the page. You can search by keyword ie: ovaries, incision, anesthesia, etc.) to make your reading easier.

You're doing the right thing, which is reading all you can so that you can make the best decision for yourself.

Best wishes,
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:17 AM

Thank you, Catherine, for your reply and the links, they were very useful. The more I think about it (and having read some of the stories here) the more inclined I am to keep my ovaries (I have never had cysts there as far as I know, there's no history of cysts or ovarian cancer within my family, there is no reason to think my ovaries aren't healthy and I still have a good many years to benifit from my own hormone-supply).

As for the reason why of the hysterectomy: I was off the BCP for two and a half months to see if that would make the fibroids shrink and to get a better idea of my hormone levels. As the fibroids only seemed to grow more in the past months, the dr thinks any other treatment wouldn't help much, and seeing I'm getting real difficulties with my bladder and urination he said a hysterectomy rather sooner than later was the only solution.

I'm still trying to get to terms with it all, but I'm really thankful to have found this website. I'll have more specific questions soon, but I'll post those separately.

Thank you again,

Fay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 05:31 AM

Hi Fay!

I just wanted you to know that I'm also 45 and I still have my ovaries. My doctor said they were perfectly fine, so no reason to take them. I feel 45 is not old, and I didn't want to go thru menopause any earlier than necessary and be put on HRT.

Good luck and best wishes to you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register