Hello All! New to Site - D&C Question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello All! New to Site - D&C Question Hello All! New to Site - D&C Question

Unread 03-13-2002, 04:55 AM
Hello All! New to Site - D&C Question

Hello Ladies! I just discovered this site and am very thankful I did. I am 38 and just found out I have at least 5 fibroids, about 5cm, with an enlarged uterus. (ovaries seem ok). MD is doing a D&C March 22. He said he does this first to make sure no cancer, then if all comes back ok - he will do a hyst within the next few months. Has anyone else followed this path? I wanted the hyst now, due to problems I have been having the past 2 years - heavy bleeding, clotting, irregular (way too often!). But he says this is how he does things. Anyway, any comments would be appreciated! Thanks to all!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:07 AM

My Dr followed the same path. First she did ultrasound, then biopsy and then D&C and finally the hysterectomy. She said she wanted to to certain the path to take and as I been with her for years and really do trust her to have my best care in mind - I went along with her judgment.

Joyce
Unread 03-13-2002, 07:02 AM
My doc did the same

Actually, she was going to do an endometrial biopsy and did a D&C instead. We knew then I needed the hyst. I have had many sonograms(pelvic and vaginal) and I think they have to do the certain procedures prior to the actual hyst.

Don't worry! Sounds like you are in good hands.

Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 07:13 AM
Me too

My doctor did the D & C and ablation back in June of 2001. Not only did he hope it would solve the problems, but he said (and he said it is sad but true) that he needed to show the insurance company process in solving my problems in order to get them to pay for the eventual hysterectomy, if that's what it came to.

Well, it has come to that and I have to say that when we submitted it to the insurance, they certified the surgery without delay. I haven't had to endure what a lot of ladies on this site talk about with scheduling and then cancellation due to insurance problems, which I attribute to our having taken steps to reach the hysterectomy.
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:55 AM

I had a D&C done at the end of Jan. , due to frequent periods and heavy bleeding. He told me that was the first thing that had to be done also. The D&C did not help with my problems though, it only made them worse. My hysterectomey is scheduled for 3-20
and am I glad. If you wish to ask any questions pleasse feel free to E-mail me. Hope all goes well for you.

Lisa
Unread 03-13-2002, 09:59 AM

Well, I thought I'd add to the list here. After trying every medication we could try, I was sent to my surgeon and he had two alternatives for me. One, and of course that's always been the final option, was the hyst, and two, a less invasive D&C. He said the D&C "might" help with some of my bleeding issues, so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. (I think I really wanted to make sure I had tried everything). Well, my next period was one of my worst ever, so I immediately called the surgeon back and we got the hyst scheduled. One year later, I'm living a new life and loving it. Take care!
Unread 03-13-2002, 02:38 PM
D & C

My surgeon scheduled a D & C two weeks prior to my Hyst surgery because a sonogram showed some endometrial thickening that he wanted to check out prior to my LAVH. The pathology was normal but if the D & C had revealed a cancerous condition then the surgery would be changed to TAH with assist from a surgical oncologist. Doctors like to get as much evidence as possible beforehand to minimize surprises.
The D & C was like a dry run in preparation for the surgery. I won't say I was relaxed when H-Day rolled around but having gone through almost the same steps for the D & C, I was way less anxious than I would have been otherwise.
Good Luck!
Unread 03-13-2002, 03:15 PM

I went to the Doctor in December, had a sonogram. Then Jan 3 had a D & C. My next period I bleed for 23 days. Had my TAH/BSO on Feb 28.

The sonogram showed polyps, and cysts on my ovaries.
The D & C was done to remove the polyps, but that also showed a mass on the uterous. Hyster showed alot of endo. I will get the rest of the path report tomorrow.

Nancy
Unread 03-13-2002, 07:59 PM

Hi There!

I don't have the same experience to share, but I did want to throw in the suggestion that you could certainly get additional opinions from other DRs if you're not comfortable with this one.

I also tend to agree with the others that to avoid the very invasive, irreversible hysterectomy is worth considering, though. I feel bad for you that you are going through this; please know we are here for you for support no matter what you decide.

(((((((HUGS))))))))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register