Talked To Doc...... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Talked To Doc...... Talked To Doc......

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:26 AM
Talked To Doc......

.....last night about 9:30 p.m. when she called me. We had a good 15-20 minute discussion. I am on Lupron and told her I was against taking the other shot (due for it on March 15th). She asked me to please get the next shot, as some of the symptoms (hot flashes, vag dryness, horrible mood swings, sleeplesness) will get easier after the 2nd shot is received. I sure hope so. I told her I am having a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, she put a script in for something to help me sleep (starts with a Z). Ambien was her choice, but its a special drug request and I may have to wait up to a week to get it (which she and I dont want me to have to do). I asked her if I was still scheduled for April 23rd for hyster, and she said "yes, for sure". I asked her what type of hyster, she said vaginal.. leaving my remaining ovary (she doesnt wanna throw me into menopause due to fact I am not handling this Lupron well at all). I agreed to that. She has been treating me for a couple years and I trust her with my life. I asked her about recovery time, she said I should be back to normal activities in 4 weeks, or there abouts (as each person is different). Since she goes on vacation on 3-15 for a week, she wont be available for me to talk to her about pain meds, so I asked about that. She said to either see my GP or make a trip to the ER and tell them I need pain killers. This was nice to know. I would rather be seen by her for those, but since she won't be available and the GYN clinic will be short staffed, she said there wouldn't be any way I could get in there to be seen. This is ok with me, as my GP is a very nice guy (actually a P.A.) Anyhow, so.. I will get the sleep pills today and hopefully sleep for a few days to make up for the sleep I have lost LOL.

Oh yeah.. not sure of this, but if she does vaginal... does it mean cervix goes too? Call me ignorant.. but Im guessing the answer is yes. She said there will be no external incisions at all to deal with (kind of good for me, was worried about abdominal incisions to deal with).

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 05:47 AM
Talked To Doc......

Hi Amy!

It sounds like you have a caring dr. That's wonderful!

I don't understand why you would have to wait a week for Ambien though. Where I live, it's prescribed pretty often for insomnia. My dr prescribed it for me when I was having insomnia right after my hyst.

I am confused about the pain meds. Are you needing something for pain now or were you wanting to talk about what you'll need after your hyst?

Yes, the cervix is removed with vaginal hysts. I had mine removed too and don't miss it one bit.

Hope you get some

Pam
Unread 03-13-2002, 06:48 AM
Pam....

I would have to wait a week at most for the Ambien because that is the way the military pharmacy does it. Because it would be a new med for me, the doc would have to submit paperwork for it, which would need to be approved by the inpatient pharmacy folks at the hospital. Sometimes, this only takes a couple days, sometimes a week. So, I had her just give me the other sleeping meds (it's Trazodone). The pain killers: I don't need them right now, but might.. that is why I was asking her. To have pain relief if I needed it before hysterectomy. Thanks for the reply!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Talked To Doc......

aaaaaah, I understand now. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Hopefully, you won't need pain meds while she's gone, but if you do, please see your GP or the ER. I think there's no sense in hurting when you don't have to.
s
Unread 03-13-2002, 06:57 AM
Talked To Doc......

Exactly!

Amy
Unread 03-13-2002, 07:56 AM
Ambiem

Ambiem is so well known and is supposed to have few side effects, but some people are very
sensitive to it. I was one of those people, as my doctor prescribed it for my problems with sleep. I got up from bed to use the restroom and was literally banging into the walls like I was drunk, and my mind was way out there--from one Ambiem! My husband just two weeks following this was prescribed Ambiem as he has bad insomnia from a head injury he received in November. He knew about my reaction but we just thought that I was a rare case of being sensitive to it and that he wouldn't have such a problem. The first night he was like me walking like a drunk before he got in bed. (The cautions on the pamplet for Ambiem says in large print--This medication works quickly.) The second night my husband took his one Ambiem pill (March 2nd) and in about 10 minutes after taking it he collapsed. He tried to get back up and he collapsed again. My husband is 49 years old and I never saw he collapse before this. We ended up having 8 paramedics in my bedroom from a reaction to what is supposed to be a mild sleeping pill. The doctor told him not to ever take it again. We both take trazadone now, which is the generic name for Deseryl. We have a family member who takes Ambiem with no problems at all except she feels a little loopy. So everyone is different, and probably most people will do fine on Ambiem but I do think they should prepare people that some people may have a reaction. When prescribed for us it was almost tauted as having no side effects and I was thinking it was just a little less safe then taking a sugar pill. My doctor said that he has heard of people hullucinating on Ambiem but that he hadn't heard of the severe reaction that my husband had. It probably interfered with my husbands other health problems and medications. The point is to always read the side effects and interactions a medication might have with other medications you are taking. I know our situation was probably rare and no cause for alarm, but when it happens to you you then feel a responsibility to let other people know to proceed with caution. All medications have side effects and we can't be paralayzed with fear of taking a medication or none of us would do anything to help our health, but being educated is always a smart move. I hope that the trazadone will help you to get the sleep that you need and that this next shot of Lupron won't be has hard on you as the first, and you will be well again soon. Take good care
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:06 AM
Talked To Doc......

Jerianne_

The dosage of Ambien prescribed for me was only 1/2 a pill. It was plenty. Maybe a whole one is too much for some people, too. I told the dr. I was sensitive to pain meds. It was very effective at that dose. I'm glad I did not have the scary experience you and your dh had. And I'm glad it had a good ending for you.
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Talked To Doc......

Thanks Yes, probably a half of a pill would have been fine.
Unread 03-13-2002, 06:17 PM
Talked To Doc......

Update on the "Ambiem" reaction. My husband's neurologist got back from his vacation and was told about this bad episode with Ambiem. The neurologist said that his head injury made him more reactive to the medication. Wish the pain clinic doctor who prescribed it would have warned him of that possibility, but you live and learn.

Amy, I hope the trazadone will give you some restful sleep soon

About the cervix, that was a good question. My gyn said that he would do the surgery through the laprascope, but he said he would decide on whether to remove my cervix once he got into the surgery. I thought if you had a Lap assisted hysterectomy that meant a vaginal and the cervix had to go. I see I have more details to find out when I see him again next week.
Unread 03-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Talked To Doc......

Jerianne,
I've not seen one done, but I've heard from a couple of ladies on here that some drs are now doing the hysterectomy laprascopic only & not vaginal. Everything removed through the bellybutton. It is different than a LAVH in that whatever is being removed is not removed through the vagina, whereas, with the LAVH, the removed parts are pulled out though the vagina. Hope this makes some sense. I'm a little sleepy right now.
Pam

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register