The perfect answer! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The perfect answer! The perfect answer!

Unread 03-13-2002, 09:54 AM
The perfect answer!

Well, girls...I got the answer I wanted at the OBGYN this morning. He says it is most definitely uterine prolapse. He says it will have to be TAH/BSO because I have alot of scar tissue around my cervix (which he wants to also take). He said that taking the cervix would strictly be a precautionary measure because of the amount of scar tissue. I certainly don't want to leave it and end up possibly with cervical cancer. He asked if I wanted to keep my ovaries. I said NO. rather emphatically, I might add!

I'm waiting to hear from the scheduling nurse to find out when we can do this. I'm ready. Soooo ready!

He also suggested that if I wanted to pursue the pcp diagnosis of rectocele and cystocele then I could schedule an appt with the urologist/gyno in that office. Roadblock: I can't get in to see that uro guy until mid April. I really want this done.

What do I do? They gyno doesn't think I need the repairs. He thinks that once he removes the uterus (the biggest problem), then everything else will fall into place correctly. What do you guys think??

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 11:52 AM
The perfect answer!

Hi, Joann,

If this doctor is the only one you've seen, I'd recommend getting a second opinion. Hysterectomy is major surgery, and having had a hysterectomy, I feel qualified to say that once is enough. If the uro/gyn would recommend more complicated surgery, you might want to reconsider the type of surgery to have.

I know you're eager to find the road to recovery, and it may be hard to wait until April to get that second opinion, but please don't rush into any surgery without considering all of the options. If you make the appointment for a second medical opinion today, you'll have started down that road.

Before my hyst, I saw three different doctors. I have never regretted the time I spent choosing the right option for myself.

I hope you'll take all the time you need to make a decision for yourself.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-13-2002, 08:03 PM
The perfect answer!

I agree with Helen. A second, even a third opinion is a good thing. Many Dr.'s have different views and you may have options available to you that perhaps you didn't have with just one Dr. Only you can make the decision, but having a few opinions is a good thing.

Please keep us posted.

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 09:57 PM
The perfect answer!

I agree with the others. I know how you are feeling and wanting to get it over with and all that- but I (and this is just my personal opinion based on NO medical degree... just my own common sense) don't think those other problems just correct themselves after having a hysterectomy.

I also think you should get a second opinion just to make SURE you would need a TAH instead of TVH. The reason he gave about taking the cervix just doesn't make sense to me. I totally don't know all about this stuff though- but it would give me reason to want a 2nd opinion just to make sure. I just don't get why removing the cervix and it having scar tissue around it would mean no TVH is possible... the cervix is the one part of the uterus that is most easily accessible by vagina than any other part. So that is weird to me.... I had a TVH and my cervix was removed. I always thought it was easier to do a surgery with the cervix LEFT -by doing a TAH instead of TVH... but maybe I'm wrong.

I also thought the dr doing the hyst would be able to do those other surgeries. I mean maybe they need a urogolist's help with bladder problems but I didn't know to diagnose rectocele or cystocele that you would need to be diagnosed by a urologist. If that is correct- then I have learned something today.
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:16 AM
To all who answered!

Thanks. I am waiting for the urologist's office to call me. I asked them to try to squeeze me in sooner than the middle of April. They told me it would be a consult appt. I don't need nor want to spend time in a consult just to turn around and wait another few weeks for an actual exam appt then another few weeks for the surgery date. I am ready. I am tired of popping the Imitrex and Fiorcet. I'm tired of feeling tired. If we have to do the repairs, then so be it.

My gyn diagnosed the hyster but he no longer does the repair surgeries so he refers them to his partner who does. This I have no problem with. I just don't want to go through what I've mentioned above.

I will ask around about the cervix thing and the scar tissue. The urologist may have another point of view (ha ha, pardon the pun!).

You guys are all so great! I rely on your opinions greatly. I know you are just giving opinions, but they are valuable since you've already been through this as patients -- not doctors!

Thanks!

Joann
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:41 AM
The perfect answer!

Hi Joann,

I had a TVH with A & P repair that I HAD to have because everything was prolapsing. If nothing else is prolapsing but your uterus, why have the extra procedure? Luckily my DR. did everything and I didn't have to be refered to someone else.

I think its very wise to get a second opinion on this.

Take care and good luck!
Unread 03-14-2002, 06:29 AM
The perfect answer!

Seeing a urogyn or urologist is an excellent idea. I've seen from a previous post your quote.. "What I thought was uterine prolapse is actually vaginal prolapse. Seems I have a class 4 rectocele and class 2 cystocele. My uterus is dropping but is not the big problem. However, the pcp wants me to see a gyn to get a hysterectomy and rectocele/cystocele repair. Interesting?" So basically your pcp said one thing and the gyn said another. You definitely need a third opinion on one who does repairs. When you called for the appointment did they tell you exactly what consult meant? If a consult means talking to the dr and not getting examined I would try to see another urologist ASAP. Did you tell them you are having a hysterectomy and didn't want to wait to long? When I called for an appoinment and told them I'm having a hysterectomy and was having trouble emptying completely, the dr. I wanted to see was booked up for a month and a half so they got me in only two weeks later with someone else. Maybe there is another dr. that you can see outside of the office? You also don't want to go through a hysterectomy to find out after that you need additional repairs and have another recovery time. I know some have had to do that and wished they found out before the surgery. It would be worth it to know for sure. You can call your pcp for a referral with someone else if the initial one can't get you in sooner. Sometimes you just need to explain things otherwise if you say you need an appointment without any further explaining, they may give you the run around or try to schedule you later. A urologist can tell you alot more than you think.
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:00 AM
I'm good to go!

I spoke with the clerk at the urogyn this morning.

I have an appointment (for an exam!) on Monday, March 18 at 5:45 p.m. My husband will take me since we can leave right from work.

I am so happy. Once this guy sees me, he'll decide if the pcp was right or what.

Now if Monday will just hurry and get here!

You guys are grrrrrreat!!

Joann

Unread 03-14-2002, 09:06 AM
The perfect answer!

Hi, Joann,

You did a great job of being proactive. I'm glad you could get your appointment so soon. Good luck to you, and please let us know how you're doing.

Best wishes,
Helen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register