help! need advice | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help! need advice help! need advice

Unread 03-13-2002, 11:42 AM
help! need advice

I will be 40 in a couple of months and am scheduled for a hysterectomy on 3/25. Have been told I have adenomyosis. I know that I have large cysts on my right ovary (they come and go). My left doesn't seem to bother me, although I always have pelvic pain and it is hard to tell from what. My MD tells me it is up to me whether or not to take both ovaries or just the right. I think that I want them both out just to be done with everything. But with everything I hear about HRT (possibly causing breast CA) I really don't want to be on hormones. Would it really be that bad if I just didn't take the hormones? My mom had a complete hyster at 35 yrs and my sister had one at 28 yrs. both took hormones for a few years and then stopped because of side effects. They seem to be fine. My MD is going to do a lap just before the hyster and said if both ovaries look bad she will take them anyway. She is also going to try a vaginal hyster (depending on how things look) if not good, she will then have to do it thru my tummy. For 6 yrs I have been going thru all these problems and am looking forward to being able to feel human again but I am also getting nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi Dia!!!

I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery!

If, your dr has left the decision up to you..weather or not to have your ovaries removed..And you are worried about being on HRT!

Then, just something that really helped me was I did lots of research on HRT. There is wonderful information here on the site in the Hormone Jungle, that I highly recommend to anyone facing being placed on HRT!!

Best Wishes, and Prayers to you!!!

Come visit with us in the chat room... there is wonderful support there also!
Unread 03-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Trust doc's judgement

My doc told me she'd rather leave my ovaries asked if that was ok with me. She did say if one or both looked bad, she'd take them anyway. I told her whatever she decided when she got in there was fine with me. (I had a TAH due to adhesions and endo found during a previous laproscopy.) She ended up taking both, they were adhesioned to the abdominal wall. I started on HRT (Premarin), but I'm thinking of going herbal. I'm doing research on the pros and cons now. Doc won't leave them if they don't look good, so my advise is to say you'd like to keep them if possible, then leave it to him/her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 03:04 PM
ovary quandry

dia,
My pelvic pain was all left-sided so I told my doc to remove the left ovary but leave the right one, if possible. I wanted to keep an ovary so as not to upset the status-quo of my normally upbeat emotions. Also, as breast cancer survivor, HRT is not an option for me.
I woke up from surgery very surprised to learn that my RIGHT ovary had been removed (encased in endo & scar tissue). The left one (I'd been sure was "bad") was just fine, so my surgeon let it be. I am 10 days post-op and thanking my lucky stars that the endo is gone, my periods are history and that so far, I have a healthy ovary to keep me feeling fit for a while longer.
Good luck with this Very Important Personal decision.
Unread 03-13-2002, 04:06 PM
To keep or not to keep

Ok my own personal view is, that if there is one good ovary then keep it. i lost my right ovary due to severe Endeo but surgeon said that the left was ok. I told her that if the left one was ok then to leave it. I did not want to have to go on HRT. I am glad to say that the ovary that is remaining is working fine, it did not sleep and has been quietly working away doing the job of two. i have very slight PMS symptoms but nothing like before. The decision has to be your own, one that you feel totally comfortable with. Good luck on your decision and your surgery. Hugs Vicki
Unread 03-13-2002, 07:38 PM
help! need advice

Hi There!

This is a very important decision - one worth researching.

Just to share my personal experience, I did not have a choice but to lose both of my ovaries and I am struggling with trying to achieve hormonal balance. I must say it's not debilitating but it is quite uncomfortable and frustrating. If I had been able to make the decision, I would have kept my ovaries or at least one of them so long as they/it were/was healthy and posing no peril.

Many women decide one way or the other for very specific and personal reasons. I think you are very smart to look into this further; you're asking some great questions. Bone health is one long-term issue worth taking a look at, among others.

I wish I could tell you what to decide, but I know you will make the right choice for you.

(((((((HUGS)))))))
Unread 03-15-2002, 12:58 PM
help! need advice

I want to thank all of you for your thoughts on my problem. I had my PAT appt today and discussed my concerns with the dr. We finally decided that the right ovary would come out because of the cysts. If the left looks good, it will stay. If not it's outta there.
Anyway, I'm still not 100% sure this is the right choice but figure it's god's will, whichever way it will go.

I am a nervous wreck. Looking forward to getting it over with but dreading the day it happens, anyway only 10 days to go!!!

Dia

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register