Surgery delayed... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery delayed... Surgery delayed...

Unread 03-13-2002, 12:09 PM
Surgery delayed...

My doctor just called and has recommended that I not have surgery tomorrow as scheduled because of my low blood count (7) - he has suggested and I have agreed to taking two shots of Lupron - one Friday and one in one month - to help me build my blood count up and then operate in May instead. I sure don't want to do anything that is not safe, but I was so set and ready to do this and am sooooo tired of dealing with the heavy bleeding and all that comes with that. Another frustration is that (and this may sound silly!) I work with 35 men and out of necessity they have had to know some of what is going on which is so, so personal and embarassing and now to prolong this is just so exasperating!

I don't know what to expect with the Lupron...although it sounds like my bleeding should end, will the other side effects be horrible???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Surgery delayed...

I had one shot of Lupron. The dr put me on progesterone to counteract the menopausal side effects and it worked great. I got my red count up, no periods for a long time. The ablation I had done afterwards failed and had to have a hyst 9 months later, but I never fell back into severe anemia after getting the long break from bleeding and felt so much better. I was in good health by the time I had the hyst.
Unread 03-13-2002, 03:20 PM
Shan....

Not to worry you, but watch out for the Lupron. I am on it, will get 2nd shot this Friday. All in all, it has been efficent for keeping pain at bay (for the most part), but the side effects are something else. They include: joint aches, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, night sweats, insomnia. I do suggest you get a suppliment from your doctor, such as progesterone to help counteract the menopausal side effects. I wish I would of had done this to begin with. Im suffering from major insomnia. My doc said something about it last night when I had her on the phone, but we both quickly decided against it (for personal reasons), and I got a sleeping pill script instead. Anyways, I know the progesterone can and does help beat the side effects outta the way. I only have to do Lupron for 2 months, first shot was February. I go for my hyster on 4/23 and will be so glad to get this uterus out of me. Best of luck to you!

Amy

P.S. You can read more about Lupron at http://www.lupron.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Shan~

Sorry about the men all knowing. It is kind of embarassing, isn't it? I can't think of anything that a man can get that embarasses them as much as this embarasses us. The good news is that you will be alot healthier going into surgery even though the delay is frustrating.

Not to worry about your crown, sweetie. I have your name on it and I will just put it back on our LIW shelf until you get a new date. Please keep us posted.

You may want to check out our Options forum. There are several ladies there that have had Lupron treatments. Maybe you will be able to chat with a few and get some ideas of the variations.

Keeping you in prayer.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register