Question about weight | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about weight Question about weight

Unread 03-13-2002, 07:08 PM
Question about weight

I have a question about weight. I am overweight . I am 5'8'' and weigh 200 lbs. Have any of you been this overweight? And how did the surgery go if you were? I'm a little concerned, but can't lose much weight before my April 2 surgery date. Should I put off surgery to lose weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Question about weight

Viginia-
I am 5'9" and weigh over 200 lbs. My doctor didn't seem to have a problem scheduling me. I had a lap in January and seemed to do fine. I was also worried about this. But I was ok. My surger is scheduled for next week, so I will let you know how it goes.
Unread 03-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Short & Fat LOL

I am 5'4" and weigh 180.. doc hasn't said anything to me yet about loosing weight. I am scheduled for TVH on 4/23. Doubt there will be problems. Best Wishes to you!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2002, 07:26 PM
Question about weight

Hi, Viginia,

I am also a woman of size. The first two doctors I saw told me that I needed a hysterectomy, but they wouldn't do the surgery, because I'm overweight. They were concerned that I might have problems with an abdominal incision.

The third doctor I saw agreed that I needed the surgery, and told me I didn't need an abdominal hysterectomy. He performed a TVH/BSO, and I had a normal recovery, with no complications.

As an RN, I know that being overweight does increase the possibility of infection, blood clots, and other complications, with any surgery.

I've read many posts here at Hystersisters, however, from overweight women who had a hysterectomy, without difficulties. After my experience, I believe that some doctors are biased against overweight women. I'm glad that other doctors are willing to offer ladies like us the same medical care they offer to the thinner women.

To all of you, good luck with your surgery.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-13-2002, 07:52 PM
Question about weight

I have been so lucky with my OB/GYN. He tells me that I am generous. Never rags on me about losing weight. I think he knows that I definately know I need to lose weight. I am hoping that after my surgery I will feel like a new woman and be able to lose weight. Just hope I don't gain because I could get very depressed. I had a lap in January and lost 10 lbs and since gained it all back. I can't wait to get it overwith and get on with life. Right now, the reason I have gained so much is that I never feel good to go do things, just want to lay on the couch with cramps. I have to go to another town to have my surgery because of insurance and will have another dr. that I only met once, she seemed nice, but I didn't get any vives on her attitude toward me being overweight. I wish my regular doctor would be doing the surgery, but he will be my aftercare dr., so that will be ok. I only have one week to go... then I will be a princess! yippee!
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:09 AM
Question about weight

I am 5'11" tall and quite a large lady. My gyn would have liked me to lose weight, but I did not have enough time for any weight loss to make any significant difference.

I had no complications with surgery and none since. I am now 3 months post op and feeling good. I don't feel that my recovery was in any way effected by my being overweight. It was about the same length of time to others.

I stopped taking pain meds 8 days post. At 2 weeks post I was cooking light meals and doing the dishes. I didn't do anything more strenuous though, as I know you only get one chance at recovery and I was well aware of my size and didn't want to slow down the process.

Regards and best wishes for your surgery and recovery.

Gail
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:45 AM
Question about weight

Hi Ginny-- Yes I was about 10 lbs. shy of 200 when I went in to surgery. I had no problems at all during surgery or with recovery. I had a vaginal hyst. with repairs. I am sure healing may have been quicker without it but I did just fine. I am sure you will too. My blood pressure was up to and it din't affect my surgery at all. If you have a problem with your BP they are able to controml it during surgery! Good Luck to you!
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:09 AM
Over weight

Hi Virginia,
I also am over weight, and my doc never said a thing about my having to lose the weight before he would do the surgery. I had a TAH/BSO last August and am over 6mos post now, and I feel wonderful.
I also am a RN and know the risks of surgery, especially when you are carrying around the extra pounds, but I deal with over weight patients on a daily basis who have had surgery, and their recovery for the most part are uneventful. I had no trouble with my abdominal incision, I had a midline vertical with staples, and it healed just great!
I say, don't sweat the small stuff, and the weight part is small compared to what you are going through. Just take it one step at a time and one day at a time. Don't pile extra stress on yourself at a time you don't need to. Best of luck with your surgery!
Melissa
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:19 AM
Question about weight

Ginny,

I am about 5'7 and weigh more than you. I had a TAH/BSO on Feb 14, and I am doing great. I have not had any problems and to be honest the post op period has been a lot easier than I expected. My Dr said nothing to me about any concerns about my weight in relation to this surgery. You have enough stress at this moment in your life to try to add to that the worry of losing weight before your surgery. Concentrate on healthy eating instead, and take care of yourself.

Lynda G
Unread 03-14-2002, 06:04 AM
weight

I had a TAH on 1/28. I am back to work and feeling great - with all my extra weight.
My dr. did not say anything about being overweight (I'm over 200) and I had absolutely no complications with recovery or my incision. In fact, at my 5 week check he cleared me of all restrictions and was somewhat amazed that I was healed internally. Have a positive attitutude, (I was singing as they wheeled me into the OR), take absolutely no meds, vitamins, etc. for at least 3 weks before surgery (per my Dr's. advice) - I lost only about 1/3 cup of blood during surgery and absolutely no discharge after. Get up and walk as soon as the appliances come off (yeah, it's uncomfortable, but it's essential to your recovery). Another woman and I went into surgery at the exact same time - she was across from me in the pre-op area, we both were the same age, but she was nice and slim. The next day I'm doing my first stroll around the floor and I see her in her room - she refused to get out of bed and was more concerned about what the scar would look like, asking about what kind of cream to put on it (who cares!). I made a point to stop by the patient refrigerator and slug down some warm prune juice to get things moving...the gas was pretty intense - she thought it was disgusting swore she could not drink it. Our surgery was at 1:00 on a Monday - by Thursday I was being discharged; dressed, standing at the nurses desk and yakking it up, she was still in her nightgown, propped up in a chair, doubled up with gas pains. And the moral of my story - the chubbette wins! I didn't care what I looked like, what I wore, I just wanted to get home - with my fat butt and swollen belly jiggling all the way. Good luck, to all of you, may you have a smooth recovery - God bless. ( like my dr. said "push yourself but take it easy").
TAH/BSO - fibroids & severe adeno

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register