Question about weight - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about weight Question about weight

Unread 03-14-2002, 08:38 AM
Question about weight

Thanks moongirl! Your message was very encouraging and I know that I can get through it also. Don't know about the prune juice..yuck, but I will try. I am having terrible cramps right now, one week before surgery and I have to take Darvocet for the pain. Will this be a problem for surgery. My dr. wrote the perscription for me, and didn't say anything about it. I would just die without pain meds at this point. But, I keep telling myself, it will be the last time, hang in there! 5 weeks, that is great, hope I can get back in the swing by then. Thanks again for your encouragement and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Question about weight

Thanks everyone I feel much better. One doctor that was an option for my surgery does have problems with the weight. I opted to let him operate on someone else.
I was just concerned because of all the news you hear about how heavy people have all kinds of problems. I've seldom been sick and I do tend to heal very fast.
MOONGIRL, thanks for your tips. There are some meds I DO have to take though. I'm on thyroid replacement due to Graves disease and don't dare go off them for even a few days.
Well my surgery is about 3 weeks away. I'll have to see what else I can start worrying about.
Unread 03-14-2002, 02:31 PM
weight

Hi virginia
I'm 10days post op LAVH/BSO. I laughed when i found my list of things to do b4 surgery. Lose weight, do ab crunches, mend clothes, clean house. I am a petite woman,5'1, 115 lbs,but who doesn't want to lose a few lbs?
Well,The house got cleaned, the cleaned, the clothes got mended, but I never did do those exercises, and the only weight I lost was the weight of the fibroids they took out of me!
You'll probably feel so much better after you recover from surgery. Pick your battles wisely. The weight can wait!

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Question about weight

I am 80 lbs overweight... but if I had to have this surgery 4 years ago...(probably should have... been in pain for 6 years)... I would have been in alot worse shape... I've lost 130 lbs in that time so the 80 lbs that I am still overweight is a relief, but I know what you mean... my doctor told me he has operated on women alot heavier than me....
I also think about all those 400 and 300 lbs women that have that weightloss surgery done.... that is a major operation and they get through it....
hey this operation isn't an option, at least not for me.. I have adeno, fibroids and LOTS OF PAIN..... so I am doing my best to stay healthy... I drink lots of water.. I workout and I eat healthy ( I"m on Weight watchers)
best wishes,
kara
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:19 PM
Question about weight

Hi:

I had a TVH on 3/5/2002. I also am a plus sized women and my Doctor had no problem with the surgery in addition she did not ask me to lose any beforehand.

I must agree with the other hystersister though. Get up and walk as soon as possible. Eat prunes or drink prune juice. I had my surgery on Tuesday am and was discharged on Thursday. I could have left on Wednesday but my anestheogist (sp) thought I should not rush it. But the one important thing for me is I made myself walk. Probably a couple hours after I got to my room. It made all the difference in the world and it also help alot with gas pains.
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Question about weight

Hi:

I had a TVH on 3/5/2002. I also am a plus sized women and my Doctor had no problem with the surgery in addition she did not ask me to lose any beforehand.

I must agree with the other hystersister though. Get up and walk as soon as possible. Eat prunes or drink prune juice. I had my surgery on Tuesday am and was discharged on Thursday. I could have left on Wednesday but my anestheogist (sp) thought I should not rush it. But the one important thing for me is I made myself walk. Probably a couple hours after I got to my room. It made all the difference in the world and it also help alot with gas pains.
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:58 PM
Question about weight

I am also overweight by about 100 lbs. Had a D&C in January and TAH/BSO on 2/28. I had no problem with the D & C and I am recovering nicely from the Hyster. So far only one like problem with a stictch popping open and draining. Doctor said yesterday that the incision is healing nicely. I can not see it because it is hidden under a roll. I have to take his work for it. The only comment he made to me was when I asked if my back problem could be from the endo/fibro, etc. he said it could be my weight. Also had other doctors tell me that to. Guess what...two weeks of laying around and my back does not hurt. If this was last month, I would have been in pain and bent over from my back hurting because I was laying around. Hopefully this was the cause of my back pain.

I also drink prune juice (just bought more today). It is much better than a laxative. Only had to take one laxative a week after surgery. Now I seem to be moving on my own.

I have also lost 13 lbs since the D & C. Go figure????????

Maybe this will be a new start. I should could afford to lose 100 more.

Good luck with you surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register