Down To Just 4 Days....am A Wreck! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Down To Just 4 Days....am A Wreck! Down To Just 4 Days....am A Wreck!

Unread 03-14-2002, 06:42 AM
Down To Just 4 Days....am A Wreck!

These last few days are a killer. Yesterday I worked a 12 hr. day..no lunch break. Legs and calves were killing me all night. Am a cosmetologist and standing all day on a concrete floor did me in. Many customers calling last minute and I'm so booked that there is no where else to stuff. Hoping the salon phone won't be for me today. Have planed this for 3 weeks! What is everyone's problem waiting to call me until last minute expecting me to "fit them in". I worked 11 am-11 pm yesterday. Today will be 10 hours....hope I'll be able to have time to eat my salad.....Friday will be just 6 hrs. and no Sat. THANK GOODNESS!

Wondering how it all will come together. Why do us women stress so much about housework, kids, husband and wear our self out and then go to hospital for surgery. We need to be in good thought and soul and a bit rested I would think.

Mom will stay the first week so that will be good. Week 2 our son is on spring break. Hoping week 2 will be decent. He is 15. Our daughter is 19 and will be out of college but has her own place..hope she comes to help a bit. Maybe run brother where needed!

I am scared to wake up and find something horrible out! Or not wake up. I can relate to those who want to write to the kids and get things set that way. Scares me to death! It will be alright.
Just want to do well in surgery. One of my customers said I ought to have music ready for when I get into my room after recovery....have relaxation tapes. Have any of you done this?

Trying to wind down, calm down, sit down.....
cosmocyndi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:40 AM
Wishing you the best

Cyndi, I hear the waiting is the worst. I can't wait till it's over, I know you feel the same. My sister is going to stay with me and help. DH is an owner operator, and a deputy sheriff. He is doing better than I expected, unless he's just hiding it. He is nervous tho'. I have a dd 20, a ds 22, a ds 8 and another dd 12. My oldest dd lives in the next town over but is taking off work for the surgery. My oldest ds, well, he's a handful. I never know if he's going to be home or not. He was drinking last night when he came in, and then went right back out. He is a major nerve problem for me. My other two younger ones my sister will help me with when I get home from the castle. I'm just wondering, do I want to make my little nest on the couch, or in the bedroom for when I come home. I'm not sure yet. Prob both since I'll be going stir crazy by the end of the first week. lol I went to cosmetology school, but I am a nail tech. Well, I was one, I still have my license but I'm going to school now to be a Substance Abuse/Mental Health Counselor. I majored in Human Services. My instructors have been great so far, about working with me for passings sake. I make good grades and hardly ever miss. In one class I have 15 hours of intern to do and sweet Dr Dawson said I could do it this summer and she would grade me for it then. She is a great instructor, just an all around nice lady. I just hope I can get back to school soon. I'm worried about my book bag. It's kinda heavy. I don't know what I'll do about that...
I have a lot left to do too, My house needs a good spit shine and I need to get caught up on some laundry. It's neverending is it? Lot's of love, Mikki Jo
Unread 03-14-2002, 08:02 AM
Hang in there!

Cyndi,

Hang on sister. I too have a DS that will be on Spring Break the 2nd week after surgery. Hopefully we will survive. My DM will be there to stay a few days. I may plan on going to her house to let her watch DS (11y/o) while I rest. Us princesses I'm SURE will need the extra support from our families. I found a WONDERFUL tape for recovery period. If you like solo piano David Lanz is GREAT. I have 2 of his CD's and love them..... I bought them just for my recovery. They set my son (which is very hyperactive) right to sleep (in his clothes!) one night while I was taking a shower. You may want to look and see if you can find these. I am sure you will love them. As of you working yourself silly trying to get ready for surgery. Just remember that you really don't need to be exhausted when you do have surgery. It could be a GREAT thing for you to be in bed. Sounds like you need it! Hang in there. When is your surgery? Mine Is Monday the 18th.

((((Cheryl))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 08:43 AM

Hi Ladies, check out Kenny G...I find his music extremely relaxing, and Mikki Jo, maybe you could use a backpack with wheels for a while after surgery? You'd still have to have someone help you lift it into and out of the car but if you can manage that at least you wouldn't be carrying the books around.
Good luck to you all, don't worry, you will do fine!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-14-2002, 03:01 PM

Hi . Just wanted to tell you that I have done it all . I bought my children a gift to have from me just in case, wrote letters, and have a tape ready to take in case I feel like listening to it.
I am also scheduled for 3-18 , the first one for the day which I am very grateful for. I have to be at the hospital at 6:00 am so I am sure I won't sleep the night before. I will be thinking of all the sisters that morning and will say a prayer for all of us.
Take care and Best Wishes !!! Terri
Unread 03-14-2002, 04:10 PM
Yeah Terri!

Hey Terri,

Glad to hear you are preparing as well as you are. What kind of gift did you buy your kids.??? I have a 11 y/o boy. I did write him an "I love you & Be good" letter. I was told NOT to let him come to the hospital the 1st day. What do you think? I have planned on him coming the 2nd day. I luckily have a GREAT friend here and she is going to take him Sunday night. I also have to be at the hosptial at 6 a.m. I am 1 hour away from the hospital. SOOOOOO, I will have to get up around 3 or so???? I know, I probably won't sleep a wink anyway... Hopefully we can catch a' snooze Sunday afternoon after church????

Cheryl
Unread 03-14-2002, 04:18 PM

Hi, I'm scheduled for TAH/BSO on the 19th, have alot of the fears your having. The worry is tiring me out, not to mention trying to train everyone for my job while I'm off. I had seen a hypnotherapist in the past for relaxation (I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks/IBS) so when this hysterectomy got pushed forward, I went back for some hypnosis/relaxation. She made tapes up for me for pre-op and post-op, and I notice even now my pain is subsiding. There are alot of imagery such as healing notions etc.. in it. I credit that to prayer and God sending me in the right direction for help. I am a firm believer in the mind over body thing, and I think relaxation tapes would be a good way to at least try and be calmer. I'm sure I'll freak out the day of my surgery, but I know I won't be as bad as a could have been. If you can find some healing imagery tapes maybe at a health store or book store, I would definately pick them up.
Unread 03-15-2002, 09:43 PM

Hi Cheryl -- I have an 11 yr old son also and I bought him a chain necklace for a boy. It's kinda popular with this aged boys at our school . For my 8 yr old daughter , I bought her a bracelet with hearts and her birthstone ( ruby). When I went for my pre op visit I told the nurse that my daughter may want to come and would it be ok and I was told it was ok. I posted quite a while back asking sisters their opinions on what to do about taking her or not and the majority said to take her. I have it cleared with the school just in case she does go to the hospital so it won't be an unexcuesd absense. I am very fortunate because She has a wonderful teacher who sent me a note letting me know that if she comes to school , she has a special project that she will have my daughter do to keep her from worrying. ( from the hints I am getting , I think the class is making me cards plus one other thing I won't be told about. I work at school part time , so most of the kids know me, plus half the girls in my daughter's class are in my Brownie troop. I have already received letters from Kindergarten which helps so much. Any way , I am planning on her going to the hospital , having a blanket , pillow, activity books and crayons , etc, ready so that when the time arrives . it won't be so hectic and stressful. I'll be thinking of you come Monday a.m. Best Wishes --- Terri
Unread 03-16-2002, 02:35 PM

Wow, everybody is going to town here! The music sounds like a very good idea to relax by.

I haven't written the letters to kids and hubby but was up through the night thinking about it. I went to our sons band and choir competition all day today and am doing laundry now and need to run the sweeper here in a few.

HAVE ONLY 2 DAYS TO GO...IF YOU COUNT THE SURGERY DAY!

I got some Easter candy bought last night. Have to go to the grocery store tomorrow sometime after church to get last minute things.

I think I'm almost ready. Two of my girl friends took me to dinner and a movie last night. Got in at 1:00 a.m. and remembered I needed to sew a button on my son's band uniform and press it.
Went to bed at 1:30 a.m. and back up at 6 a.m. YUCK! Had fun with the girls though. They brought me a goodie bag of like 10 magazines, a book, a night shirt, lavender lotion and shower gel and some chocolates! I love my friends!

My sister has had the flu for a week and passed out at work today and they took her to the hospital. 3 bags of fluid for dehydration. (My family lives 1 hour away) My mom talked with her hubby but wouldn't go down so she wouldn't be exposed to the virus so she can still come up and help me! Thank God for that! Wish I could do something for her, but all I can do is call her later now that she is home resting.

Oh girls, will I be able to shower at the hospital? My dr. is using staples.... vertical incision. I sure hope so. No sponge bath thing.

Thanks for all your support these last few weeks!

cosmocyndi
Unread 03-16-2002, 02:57 PM

Hang in there, all of you! The waiting really is the worst part, at least it was for me.

A few little tips:

Music is great - I brought a little radio with headphones with me, stuck it on my favorite station, and listened to it a lot while I was in the hospital.

Think of bringing some of that Easter candy if there's any left over for the nurses - they really appreciate it!

Get up and walk some as soon as you're able and they let you do so - walking is really helpful. as is drinking lots of fluids (they'll have water and juices as soon as you can drink), and rest!

Cosmocyndi - can't guarantee about the showering, but I had a horizontal incision and took a shower the morning after my surgery with only a little help from the nurse - not a single sponge bath needed :-)

You'll all do great! We'll be thinking about you, and you can share your experiences when you get home!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register