HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Tips of the Week

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What are the health benefits of a sweet potato over a white potato?? What are the health benefits of a sweet potato over a white potato??

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:08 AM
Question of the Week

B.E.S.T. Sisters is based on the concept of losing or maintaining weight through healthy eating and exercise. A couple of questions came up in Chat last night that none of us had answers to. It was suggested that we have a Question of the Week and ask our members to research a topic and post what they've learned.

Dean Ornish was on OPRAH yesterday and they were talking about a diet that helps prevent heart disease. They stated that "brown is better than white". The question for this week is:

What is the health advantage of eating Sweet Potatoes over white potatoes?

Unread 03-15-2002, 06:22 AM
What are the health benefits of a sweet potato over a white potato??

Hi.
It has to do with the glycimic index. The white potao has a GI of 85 the sweet potato has a GI of 54. Also the sweet potato has a lot of betacarotene (neutralizes free radicals.)
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:14 AM

Kim, thank you.....I thought is was going have to try to answer my own question.

I've been poking around the web since seeing your reply. I found that the lower the number the better re the GI. If I understood it properly, it has to do with how much a certain food raises our blood sugar. I am confused how it applies to people w/o diabetes, tho.

The fact that it has betacarotene was of interest to me, since its always mentioned as a way to help avoid heart disease and cancers.

Unread 03-15-2002, 11:30 AM

Hi Em,
The lower the glycimic index the better for weight loss as well as diabetes. I learned about it from the low carb diets first. Dr. Atkins web site explains it. Suzanne Sommers, Protien Power.
Also Bill Phillips "Body for Life". WWW.bodyforlife.com
Unfortunatly I have been typical yoyo dieter. I need to lose 20-30 lbs and I was trying to not diet, but I don't get it. If I am not real restrictive I don't loose weight. I have not been able to find where B.E.S.T. gives advice or talks, just an occasional thread.
I am considering finding a personal trainer after my upcoming surgery and would like to know what to expect. What to look for, etc.
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:53 PM

Hi Kim,

I went to the Atkins web site and found the Gram Counter. It shows that Sweet Potato is higher in fiber..... 3.1 as opposed to 1.5 in white potato. I have to presume the measure is the same. So that's another plus. I did see that Sweet Potato has more calories than white.....but the difference wouldn't make or break the day.

B.E.S.T. Sisters is a support group of ladies who share the same goal....losing weight with the hopes of learning to eat well and to be able to keep the weight off. We are going about it in many different ways.....some are on formal programs, others trying to do it on their own.

A personal trainer sounds like a good thing. If you do find one, maybe you'll come back and let us know how it's going.
Unread 03-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Question of the week

Unless you all discussed it after I left chat, I know we did not discuss this weeks question. If you did please tell me and I will change the question.
A couple of weeks ago in chat we discussed the difference between a sweet potato and a white potato and the health benefit differences. So the question this week is...
What are the health benefits of a sweet potato over a white potato?
It was believed that this question was derived from an Oprah show with one of the Dr's she has on regularly.
Good luck!
Unread 03-28-2002, 08:46 PM
prevent

Hi Jody,

It was Dr Dean Ornish who was on OPRAH. He's the one who came out with the theory that Heart Disease could be reversed. His book came out about 10 yrs ago. At that time most dr's believed it was a progressive disease which could not be reversed... only that it's progression might be slowed. It appears now that more and more dr's agree with the theory of reversal but know that most people are not going to be capable of such an extreme lifestyle change that Dr Ornish suggests.

Dr Ornish was on OPRAH recently discussing how to PREVENT heart disease. That's where the talk was about choosing brown foods over white....rice, potatoes, bread, etc. I think I've read posts on these boards from ladies who are avoiding white foods. I'm hoping they reply to this post ...... I'd really like to understand it.

And no, we never did get to discussing the Q of the week in Chat. ...sorry
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:43 PM

Hi Everyone,
I recently got a cookbook from my local library it's by Readers Digest called " The How-to book of Healthy Cooking" and it has an interesting statement in it about the nutritional values of all-purpose potato vs sweet potato. This is what they had:

Regular; (Baked With Skin)
Calories = 200
Sodium = 16mg
Protein = 5g
Carbohydrate = 15g
Fiber = 5g

Regular; (Peeled and Cooked)
Calories = 116
Sodium = 7mg
Protein = 2g
Carbohydrate = 27g
Fiber = 2g

Sweet Potato;(Peeled and Cooked)
Calories = 158
Sodium = 20mg
Protein = 2g
Carbohydrate = 38g
Fiber = 5g

** Take notice the difference from a baked w skin potato to the one peeled! I don't get why the carbs would be MORE with the skin removed???? (maybe it was a typing error??)
It didn't have any info. on a baked sweet potato, sorry

If you compare the Sweet Potato to the Regular peeled and cooked potato it doesn't appear to actually be better for you. What do you think (or know)???

Take Care, Dawn

TAH/BSO 6-29-01

203/187/135 ~~ 16 lbs gone forever ~~
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:14 PM
? of the week

ok Here is the scoop according to the USFDA
sweet potatoe baked white potatoe baked
27.7 gr carbs 51.0
3.4 diatery fiber 2.2
117 calories 220
2.0 protien 4.7
0.1 total fat 0.2
this is with out skin for both

Ok everybody depending on what kind of diet you are on, you can make your own choice, the SW has less carbs but the WP has more protien. I who think we all consume way to much carbs (and not by choice either most of the time) think the SP if for the better choice , with the SP you can put a 1/2 tsp butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and you have only added a few extra calories but with the WP most people have to add a whole lot more calories to it to eat it. and remember when figuring carbs you can subtract the diatery fiber grams from the carb grams to get you final carb. count. At my job they call me the carb queen because I have done a whole lot of research on them. I happen to work as a weight loss consultan for a weight lose & wellness group, and I can tell you all the reading I have done and all the classes have not prepared me for the weight gain that comes with HRT . So I am also trying very hard to lose the 8 lbs that I have gained since my 12/14/01 TAH BSO. so ladies I think we have met our match. And I too will take suggestions on what to do.
Raissa
Unread 04-02-2002, 06:22 AM

I went looking for info on why the Sweet Potato (and brown foods in general) are considered to be healthier and how our choices fit into a healthier lifestyle regardless of whether we're on a weight-loss diet or not.

Sweet is a good source of Vit A. White has none.

Sweet is higher in Fiber. Fiber is believed to help fight certain cancers, might help lower blood cholestoral, and helps us to feel full sooner.

Sweet has a lower number on the Glycemic index.

I know that it's recommended that we consume around 25g of fiber a day and that most people don't come close. I don't know much about Vit A and I know nothing about the Glycemic Index. But I believe that the Sweet Potato is the better choice.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway