Called Dr Surgery Set For 3/28/02 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Called Dr Surgery Set For 3/28/02 Called Dr Surgery Set For 3/28/02

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:34 AM
Called Dr Surgery Set For 3/28/02

Good Morning To All The Special Ladies Everywhere!
Thank you so much for all your replies to my post Dr Changed His MInd. I called the nurse who schedules surgery and told her I wanted the surgery done and if he was uncomfortable about it I would find another Dr. I told her to tell him if he's waiting for me to be jumping for joy to do it, it's not gonna happen but, I don't want to live with it like this any longer. She called me back about 2 hrs. later and said he scheduled it for 3/28/02 at 9:00 a.m. Thank him for not making me wait very long. Now, some more questions.
1. If you're not leaking urine before a hyst with A&P repair, how common is it for you to become incontient after this surgery? (the thought of that is my worst nightmare) Almost all the medical info I've read on the internet says that can be a side effect of the hyst.
2. In any one's opinion who has had this done, does A&P repair fix the bladder where it should stay repaired?
3 Is this type of surgery kinda painful, very painful, wxtremely painful, or depends on your pain tolerance?
4. How common is it for you to go home with a cathiter? (Dr says if I feel like it he doesn't have a problem with me going home 36 hrs. after surgery but, I may have to go home with a cath)
5. In most cases with no problems, about how long do you have to wear the cath?
I'm still HORRIFFIED of general anesthesia. Dr says he won't do it with spinal and sedation, says it's very dangerous. He says I could unknowingly breathe wrong and cause him to injure me. Is it up to him, the anesthist, or me as to what type of anesthesia I get?
I'm sorry this is sooo long but, I'm so very thankful I have all of you to talk to. I can't even begin to tell you how much it means and what a blessing it is to have found you. HUGE HUGS TO EVERYONE! GOOD LUCK AND PRAYERS TO ALL!
Thank You So Much,
Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 04:37 PM

Rocky I do not have any experience with the questions you are asking. I'm just bumping this up in hopes that someone will come along shortly and give you some answers. I'm happy that you finally know the date of your surgery.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 03-14-2002, 05:41 PM

Hi Rocky,

I can only answer some of your questions, and even then, my answers may not fit your situation. You didn't say in this or your other post whether your doctor plans to do a vaginal hyst or an abdominal. I had a vaginal with A & P repairs.

Quote:
1. If you're not leaking urine before a hyst with A&P repair, how common is it for you to become incontient after this surgery?
I haven't had any leakage problems yet, and it's been more than 6 months.
  Quote:
2. In any one's opinion who has had this done, does A&P repair fix the bladder where it should stay repaired?
In my case, it's still fixed.
  Quote:
3 Is this type of surgery kinda painful, very painful, wxtremely painful, or depends on your pain tolerance?
Each persons pain will be different but in my case, I had a morphine pump in the hospital, and then went home with a prescription for pain pills. I don't remember very much about the first day or two, but don't remember being in horrible pain. I was uncomfortable, but most of that was due to the episiotomy that was done for the rectocele repair, not from the hyst.

I would recommend that you buy a donut pillow to have with you on your ride home from the hospital and to sit on for several weeks.
  Quote:
4. How common is it for you to go home with a cathiter? (Dr says if I feel like it he doesn't have a problem with me going home 36 hrs. after surgery but, I may have to go home with a cath)
My catheter was removed the morning after surgery and I went home that afternoon.
  Quote:
I'm still HORRIFFIED of general anesthesia. Dr says he won't do it with spinal and sedation, says it's very dangerous. He says I could unknowingly breathe wrong and cause him to injure me. Is it up to him, the anesthist, or me as to what type of anesthesia I get?
You might want to talk to the anesthesiologist too, but in the end, if your doctor doesn't feel it's safe, he's not going to want to do the surgery and place your life and his reputation and career on the line. Please don't try to talk him into something that would be bad for you.

's Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 05:46 PM

In reply to your concerns about anesthesia, the decision is up to you and your anesthesiologist. I understand that there is no difference in risks between spinal and general anesthesia and that a spinal means you receive fewer medications and do not have to have your breathing controlled. Your doctor is totally misinformed as the anesthesia risks. With a spinal you can also be as awake and as sleepy as you want, this again is discussed with your anesthesiologist.

I'm sure you'll hear from many women who have had the same procedure as you are having under spinal and had a good experience. The only situation in which a spinal cannot be done is if the surgeon is doing a lapararoscopy.

Arrange to meet with your anesthesiologist or one of his associates before the date of your surgery to help you come to an informed decision. And remember, all the ladies here say that the waiting is the worst part.

Best wishes,
Debbie
Unread 03-14-2002, 09:58 PM

Hi Rocky,
I hadn't read the post about your doctor changing his mind, but I went back and read it. It kinda reminded me of my situation, except my doctor said he wouldn't do my surgery because I had apparently been "rude" to his nurse, when I left a message! Because they were not returning my calls for days!

Anyway, he ended up sending me to another doctor and then she said she didn't even think the surgery was necessary, because she thought he should have gotten all the severe dysplasia/CIS with the cone biopsy, (he didn't think he had).

Sooo, here I was stuck between a doctor that thought I needed it, but wouldn't do it, and a doctor that would do it, but didn't think I needed it!

Therefore after giving it a lot of careful thought, I've decided I'd like to go ahead with the hysterectomy, (She said she'd do it if I wanted it), and not have to go through paps every three months, and waiting and worrying after each one. Well, Monday I called her nurse and told her of my decision, she said she'd "grab my chart and call me back with a surgery date". She didn't call that day, I called her back after noon on Tues., she said the doctor could do it the 28th or 29th of this month, tentatively, she was waiting to see if there was an operating room available.
Okay, I didn't get a call on Wed, I called Thurs, and she wasn't there, so I left a message. Anyway, I'm waiting for them to call me back tomorrow and let me know something! The dates she gave me are only 2 weeks away, I'd like to have a little notice!

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I just might be going through this the same time you are. Hang in there, and I'll let you know what happens! Good Luck, Jean

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register