HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

When did you start working at home? When did you start working at home?

Unread 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM
When did you start working at home?

So it's been more or less three weeks and my brain is starting to wake up. Part of me doesn't mind lying about, but my partner's back at work and there is only so much Netflix I can stand. For those of you who do computer-based work at home, about when did you start easing back into the grind? I'm already behind schedule on my thesis because of this surgery, and I kind of want to get started but don't want to push it too hard.
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Re: When did you start working at home?

I was back at my computer the first week, although for limited periods. When I felt as if I wanted a nap, I took a nap! :-) But I was certainly up for fielding work-related questions and doing some research.

Basically, it's up to you. How long can you sit comfortably? How long before you start feeling tired and/or brain fog sets in? I'd suggest easing back in by doing what you can do *comfortably*, both physically and mentally. Take lots of breaks, even just to walk about the room, and good luck!
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM
When did you start working at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_seamonkey View Post
So it's been more or less three weeks and my brain is starting to wake up. Part of me doesn't mind lying about, but my partner's back at work and there is only so much Netflix I can stand. For those of you who do computer-based work at home, about when did you start easing back into the grind? I'm already behind schedule on my thesis because of this surgery, and I kind of want to get started but don't want to push it too hard.
I also do computer work usually not from home from my office. I went back to work from home after two weeks. I am on my third week post- op now and still working from home. My dr said he will see how I am on oct4 and let me know if I can go back to the office then. Don't push urself to hard I still have bad days and have to take a nap on lunch break everyday. Hope all goes well for u!!
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM

I spend most of my time propped up in bed or on the couch. I have a little rolling side table my advisor gave me, so I can access the laptop without sitting up completely. I think I'm going to try making a short list of things to do tomorrow and gauge how much I can handle task-wise. I usually have brain fog from lupus but double the fog has been quite the experience.

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Is it still painful for you to sit up completely? Assuming that your doc hasn't given you a specific prohibition against it, then sitting upright for short periods is actually one of the few safe ways you can give your abdominal muscles a bit of exercise. I noticed in the hospital that my first day after my TAH, a nurse came and took me for a walk around the ward, then pointedly suggested that I might "like to" sit upright in an armchair for awhile. I didn't last too long in that armchair the first day, but I did better the second day and then built on that.
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:38 PM

Sitting up right now, actually. I can do about 10-15 minutes upright, which is better than the hospital a few weeks ago, but the muscles pretty much give up after that. I've been wondering if sitting up was okay.
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:45 PM

Basically there's four things that you can do right now that are safe ways to exercise your abdominal muscles:
1) Sit upright.
2) Stand upright.
3) Walk upright.
4) Focus on using them to help push air out of your lungs when you exhale.

Don't push yourself, but start with what you can do and then try doing it as often as you comfortably can.
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM

I started working from home at 4 weeks. I will say that I think I have experienced complications from being in one place non-stop. I am in training, so I spend most of the time on the couch with my laptop or a book in my lap, often slumped over writing. I'm wondering if I have formed weird scar tissue from sitting awkwardly. I would recommend if you work from home, to sit at a desk in a comfortable chair, sit up right and move around a lot. I now have pain in places I didn't before.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.