Belly Ring & Acrylic Nails | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Belly Ring & Acrylic Nails Belly Ring & Acrylic Nails

Unread 03-14-2002, 05:37 PM
Belly Ring & Acrylic Nails

Because no question appears to be stupid here...

Will I have to remove my belly ring prior to surgery?

What about acrylic nails?? Can they stay on?

I know this is minor, but I don't want to bother the doctor's with these "minor" details.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info.

SueK with belly ring & acrylic nails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 05:54 PM

NO questions are stupid. When I had aTAH I had acrylic nails but I didnt have any polish on them.No one said anything to me except a nurse that told me how nice they looked.
I think they used to be picker on the nail stuff so they could look at the nail color now they have the oxygen level thing they put on your finger.

My daughter had a lap. for endo and she had to remove her belly ring.There was no if and or buts on that one.
Unread 03-14-2002, 06:17 PM

You can't wear any jewelry into surgery. I guess a belly ring would fall into that category. (same for eyebrow, tongue, etc.)

Ask the pre-op nurse about the nails. With the new pulseox thingies they don't need to see your nailbeds to check circulation, but some hospitals may not have changed their procedures on that one. Just ask the nurse to be sure.

Good luck!

Karen <~~~the unpierced

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 06:11 AM

When I went in they did ask me to remove the polish from the nails but not the nails themselves. And my belly ring was definately out, I left it at home and put it in when I got back.

No question is stupid, wouldn't have known except my gyn told me in my pre-op appointment because she did an examnation and saw it.
Unread 03-15-2002, 06:43 AM

I think it's pretty standard everywhere to not allow any jewelry in OR. They told me at my pre-admit that I couldn't have polish on my nails. I got them done the before surgery since I knew I wouldn't be able to go for a while after. I just didn't get them painted. A really sweet friend came to the castle the day after and painted them for me.
What they DIDN"T tell me at pre-op was that I couldn't have polish on the big toes on each foot so they could watch the nail beds during surgery, so the nurse removed it right before I went in. (My friend had to re-do those too)

Kim
Unread 03-17-2002, 11:38 AM

I am pretty sure that the nail issue really is dependant on the anesthsiologist. Some look at your nail bed for color, some look at your gums, it all depends. When I had my vulvectomy last Valentine's day I had BRIGHT red acrylic nails. The nurses loved them and I woke up with them all intact!

As far as the belly ring.... it's got to go. Jewelry is an electric conductor. BUT, some places like Sally Beauty Supply have plastic belly rings. If your piercing is fairly new you don't want to leave it out for the couple of days you'll be in the hospital. If you can't find a plastic belly ring, fishing line or weed wacker line will also work. Can you tell I have piercings??? I just wanted it taken care of ahead of time because I knew I didn't want to worry about it immediately post op.

Good Luck with your surgery

Debbie :dragon:

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register