Surgery is Monday and I am starting to get scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery is Monday and I am starting to get scared Surgery is Monday and I am starting to get scared

Unread 03-15-2002, 07:36 AM
Surgery is Monday and I am starting to get scared

My parents drove to Atlanta from Utah to help out, my husband is awesome but I am getting pretty nervous. I feel like I am about to jump out of my skin. I run a Customer Serivce Center and am worried about being out to long. I feel like crying and can't seem to get enough air? How long do you think I will be in the hospital?
The doctor said 5 days doen't that seem long? I am alergic to all antibiotics so I am nervous about infection. I think I am just being a big baby, but the closer it gets the worse I feel. I know I will feel better. I have been spotting for 13 months almost daily and the cramps are really not good at all. I hope this hysterctomy will stop all of that. Oh well I just wish Monday would get here. Sorry for venting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Your not alone

My surgery is Wednesday, and I'm getting nervous too. It's only normal. I'm having some crazy things going through my head. LOL But most of us do. It will all be over soon. As for infection. If you can take Vitamin C that might help. I cant remember if it's 1,000 units or milligrams or what but I'm taking 1,000 mg(?) 3 times a day. It helps to boost your immune system. Just read some out of your Bible from the book of Psalms in the old Testament. That always gives me such comfort. I'll keep you in my prayers. Blessing In Christ, Mikki Jo
ray:
Unread 03-15-2002, 08:35 AM

Hi, Vanessa -

It's ok to be scared! Most of us were. This is a very frightening thing to go through (though the anticipation is honestly the WORST - we imagine everything that could go wrong that almost NEVER does). It's wonderful that you have so much support - that will really help you concentrate on recovery. And heavens, you don't have to apologize for venting - that's part of what is so wonderful about this board - it's a place where you CAN vent and know that you'll get positive support :-)

You don't mention what exactly will be done, but hospital stays vary according to the doctor's ideas, your needs, etc. I went in on a Monday and came home on Wednesday, but many women have been in for 5 days. Just a guess, but because of your allergy, maybe they want to watch you for a longer period of time than they might otherwise? In any case, the drs and nurses will keep a close eye on you for infections.

Please talk to your dr. about your concerns with potential infections. You shouldn't take ANY medications, vitamins or herbs this close to surgery without talking to the dr. first. Post op, I was told it was fine to start vitamin supplements, and I am taking a bunch. Again, though, ask your dr about YOUR circumstances post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 09:03 PM

Hi Fellow sister. I will be a 3-18 princess also. I am getting more nervous and scared with each passing hour. No matter what I do to keep it off my mind , it doesn't stay away long. I am having TVH/BSO due to extremely heavy bleeding and pain . I feel like crying , more since my pre op visit , and last night I couldn't hold it back. It really did help letting it out. I felt like so much that had been bottled insde had been released. That was the first night I had gotten any sleep in such a long time, so don't worry about crying , it might help you feel better. My doctor says that I will probably spend 2 nights at least. I hate being away from home but I figure the longer I am at the hospital , maybe the better I will be feeling when I get to go home. And you should see my house! I have not done a single bit of pre hospital cleaning like other sisters talk about. I've been to tired. I am not going to worry about it either ,it will be here when I do feel like doing it.
Just remember you are not alone and come Monday morning , I will say a prayer for all of us.
PS I am allergic to alot of antibiotics and pain meds and told the nurses. They underlined it on my bracelet for every one to know so I feel better about that. Best wishes to you for a quick recovery and that we can come back to this site and tell future LIW that the waiting is the worst. I keep telling myself that.
Terri
Unread 03-16-2002, 04:09 AM

Hi, I'm schedule for a TAH/BSO for the 19th, and like you I am scared and can't even think straight. Can't believe how fast the date came up on me. I feel like a big baby around my parents, bless their patience, especially my poor mom. I tell her I'm backing out and she kicks my attitude right back into gear. Even though I'm scared I'm looking forward to no periods and no pain.
Take Care, God Bless, I'll keep you in my prayers.
Unread 03-16-2002, 04:51 AM

Hi Nessa (and everyone else!)

My trip to the castle is the day after yours. Hey, by the time I get there, you'll already be a Princess... and I'm sure you'll be a beautiful one!

I keep telling myself that it is more than understandable and very normal to be nervous before a surgery like this. I mean, this IS a big thing we're about to go through, but it helps me so much to read all of the messages from the many princesses who say the waiting was the hardest part.

Like you, I am allergic to antibiotics. In fact, I've been allergic to every antibiotic I have ever taken, as well as many other medications. My DH and I discussed this in depth with my doc; our fear of infection is one of our biggest concerns. The doctor reassured us and all we can do now is hope for the best.

As for your question about how long you'll be in the hospital, I am sure you are seeing in messages here that it varies from one person to the next. My doctor has told the hospital to expect that I'll probably be there for four nights.

Isn't it a wonderful thing to know that we can come here and vent... and there are people here who will listen and who care! You're in my thoughts!

Best wishes to you for Monday! I hope you have a good, restful weekend!
Unread 03-16-2002, 06:21 AM

Hi L.I.W. The wait is really the hardest part! I thought that the day would never come, they would cancel my surgery when I showed up. Hubby would not let me think this way though.

I got really upset 2 nights before the surgery. I couldn't figure out what I had done to deserve the pain and bleeding. I couldn't figure out why I was going in the hospital for a hyster. Of course I knew why. Hubby told me that I wasn't a bad person. I was extremely upset and depressed until he talked to me that night.

Then the next night my "A" guy called and that made me feel better. He listened to my concerns about "going under" and reassured me that my dying wasn't in his plans for the day!

The day of the surgery I think I was in shock as I wasn't scared or nervous. Until, I went onto the table and they say I resisted the mask of oxygen! I knew that my sore muscles for the next few days were from tightening up on the table. Scary stuff!

Believe me, y'all will be just fine. Everything will fall into place and you will be es with pretty, shiny crowns, just like I have.

Sara
Unread 03-16-2002, 09:15 AM

I was terrified too, especially the last 2 days before my castle visit. One thing that helped me was visualizing: I'll get there & change into a hospital gown, they'll put in an IV, I'll go to sleep and wake up with a slightly sore belly, and then I'll recover. And that's pretty much how it went.

It really isn't as bad as you expect. I think you'll be surprised at how much better you feel afterwards than you think!

Good luck, and hang in there.

Melissa
Unread 03-16-2002, 10:18 AM

Hi LIW,

I was a nervous wreck several days before my surgery and also cried, I think it's just because of the unknown. Even after reading all the posts on this site, you just don't know what your experience will be! Try to keep up your normal routine until the big day, it will help keep your mind off it some.

Thankfully, I had a very good experience and a wonderful recovery. I'm 6 wks. post-op and I'm really feeling like my old "new" self!!

The more support you have the easier your recovery, because you can concentrate on yourself and healing.

Best wishes to all the LIW, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register