Someone said YES! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Someone said YES! Someone said YES!

Unread 03-15-2002, 08:29 AM
Someone said YES!

HI there, I have finally found an OBGYN to okay a Vaginal hyster after 6 years of pain and misery. I couldn't believe my ears when she said Yes. THere is one thing that concerns me, she said they would try vaginally but if they couldn't do it that way that they would have to do it abdominally instead. Has anyone else been in this situation? How do you prepare yourself when you expect to be coming out the same day as I have been told i will, to spending more time in hospital and a longer recovery period. Any advice out there ladies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 08:44 AM
Someone said YES!

Hi Katygirl,
I'm scheduled for a TVH exactly a month before you! My dr. also said she may have to do an abdominal if the vaginal didn't work. One of the reasons she gave was in the event of excessive bleeding. She also told me this has never happened in her experience, but is something she had to tell me about. So..I'm going in expecting the TVH and imagine that is exactly what will happen.
One thing I did that was very helpful (and recommended on this site), was make a list of any questions and asked them at my pre-op appt. My dr. was happy to oblige and I felt much better!
Best of luck to you, Kristy
Unread 03-15-2002, 09:01 AM
Someone said YES!

My obgyn did a test in the office to see if I could go LAVH. She put a clamp around my cervix and gently pulled. My uterus wouldn't budge so I'll be having a TAH. I know the recovery will be a bit longer, but I feel at ease knowing my doctor wouldn't try something that she is not sure will work. Your doctor will probably do a similar test at your pre-op appointment.

Good luck!!
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 09:04 AM
Someone said YES!

Hi, Katygirl,

I had a TVH/BSO, and my doctor also told me that he planned to do a vaginal hysterectomy, but would do an abdominal incision if necessary. He also told me that he'd never had to do an abdominal hyst, if a vaginal hyst had been planned.

Turned out that no abdominal incision was needed, for me. I think this may be a standard warning, just in case.

How did I prepare? I asked whether he'd do a vertical incision, or a "bikini" incision, so I wouldn't be surprised. I was pleased to wake up with no visible incisions.

Good luck with your surgery.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-15-2002, 10:29 AM
Someone said YES!

Hi Katygirl, my DR told me it's standard practice to tell patients going in for TVH that there is a small possibility that they might need to make an abdominal incision if something unforeseen happens during the surgery. They have to do that in case they get in there and find something unanticipated that prevents them from doing it vaginally, so they don't have to wake you up and get your consent before continuing! She also said it's very rare that anything like that happens. Still I remember waking up and looking down and feeling my tummy just to be sure! Don't worry, you will be fine.
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Someone said YES!

Hi . I am almost finished waiting. I am scheduled for 3-18. My doctor also told me that she plans to do a TVH and would only do a TAH if there was excessive bleeding or my uterus was enlarged. ( So you know I am praying that doesn't happen ) . I feel like the others,the doctors want you to be prepared just in case so you won't be totally shocked .

Hang in there!! I'll be back post op letting every one know that
" waiting is the worst part " I keep telling myself that !!
Best Wishes Terri
Unread 03-15-2002, 03:28 PM
Someone said YES!

hello all
I went to my pre opt this moring and my doctor told me that he
would do a TVH but if my uterus was inlarged and

he couldn't get it out that way then he would have to do a TAH

he also said that if my uterus could be taken out through my

vagina and the ovaries were good he would leave my ovaries and I would have a TVH

but if the ovaries were bad and
needed to come out then he would have to take them out through my belly so I might wake up having a TAH
so I told him just to take them out I hope I have not comfuse anyone
hugs ladypeewee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register