Talked To Anesthesiologist | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Talked To Anesthesiologist Talked To Anesthesiologist

Unread 03-15-2002, 09:12 AM
Talked To Anesthesiologist

HI TO ALL
I spoke with the anesthesiologist a few minutes ago. For everyone who is scarced to death of anesthesia (like me) some comforting news. He says TVH with A&P Repair can be done with spinal but, it is much safer with general. He said 1 in 200,000 people don't wake up from general nesthesia. Pretty good odds! Basically he said it is comparable to getting in your car going somewhere and returning home safely. He eased my nerves a great deal. I hope this helps any of you who are freaking out over having general enesthesia, I know I was. Now I'm looking forward to getting it over with and healing so I can ride my horse, 4 - wheeler, and run and play with my son and my dogs. Hopefully in about 8 wks. or so I will be posting good news and positive support for others as ya"ll have helped me so very much. A heartfelt thanks to all of you for your help.
Rocky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 10:56 AM

Hi Rocky,
Am delighted that you were able to talk to an anesthesiologist and got some reassurance. For some strange feeling many surgeons prefer general anesthesia in spite of the fact that an epidural or spinal can be a safer and better alternative for a large number of patients.
Hope your surgery goes smoothly, I'm a few days ahead of you (3/22) and hoping to have a spinal for my tah/bso.

Good luck
Debbie
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:48 AM
General anesthesia

Hi. I too was terrified of a general anesthesia. I administer anesthesia to animals everyday at work. I am a veterinary technician. In 8 years we lost one patient to a heart attack and many of our patients are high risk. I had a list of questions for the anesthetist a mile long, but because I was in good overall health, they hospital wouldn't let me see him. Aaaaaaaaah! I got to speak to him briefly before the surgery. He seemed very nice and had been doing anesthetics for along time, reassuring me that I wasn't his first patient. I asked my doctor earlier about a spinal to avoid a G/A, and he said that when you are frozen like that your blood vessels don't dilate or constrict, so you could be in for some serious bleeding. Plus he said that it was difficult to work around in my abdomen (I had a TAH) when breathing on my own. With a general you are given a muscle relaxer and hooked up to a respirator. The respirator breaths for you. I ended up losing an ovary to bleeding, so I imagine it could have been worse with the spinal. The up side of the spinal is that you have NO pain post op for 24 hours. I chose to stay away from it. Some drs will use a general and a spinal together. I figure if you're going to do the general anyway, just stick with the general. Just be sure to research this and get as much information and ask as many questions as needed to reassure yourself. Best of luck to you. Let us know how things went when you get home after your surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 12:01 PM

wow thank you for all the great info on this topic... I am seeing my anesthesiologist in a few weeks and I too had some questions because I am 80 lbs overweight and have hypothyroid but I workout out everyday.. I can walk (and do each day) 3 miles in 45 mins which I think is pretty good for someone my size. I've been working out for many years so I feel good about that...
anyway.. thanks for the info
Unread 03-15-2002, 12:11 PM

Rocky, I also had a real fear of the anesthesia...even though I've had it many times before, for my hyster I was terrified! But like you, after speaking to the anesthesiologist openly about my fear, I came away with good information and I felt very reassured.

Everything was fine. The best part about the general was that I closed my eyes for just a sec, and then I opened them again...and I was in the recovery room. Literally the blink of an eye, and it was all over. Amazing.

Each doctor makes the decision based on what makes THEM comfortable. Ultimately, that's the deal-maker. If anyone wants to explore the spinal, discuss it with your doctor, but keep in mind that they will do what they are most familiar with and feel will give them the best results.

I'm so glad you feel better!!

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register