HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal cream for dryness Premarin cream vs. vagifem vs. estradiol cream? Vaginal cream for dryness Premarin cream vs. vagifem vs. estradiol cream?

Unread 03-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Vaginal cream for dryness Premarin cream vs. vagifem vs. estradiol cream?

Hi Sisters,
I am 9 weeks post-op and have had a fairly good recovery except now ....I'm having soreness in my vagina almost like a burning pain. I don't think it is a UI because I do not have burning when I pee. I called my Dr. and he is out of the office due to illness so I talked to the nurse and she wants to put me on Premarin cream due to the dryness in my vagina. I am now on the Vivelle Dot and I have had good results with it except now this dryness, burning pain. I do not want to go on Premarin as I have heard such horror stories about it. I have heard vagifem and estrodiol cream are good has anyone tried both and what has been their results? Please help!
Thanks,
Super Hyster
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:31 AM

I use estrace cream with good results, I'm going to ask him about vagifem though, I understand it is a pill that you insert, might be less messy for internal but my dr wants me to apply the cream to the outside vaginal tissue as well as insert it. He doen't do
Premarine so I have no experience with that
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:52 AM

I was on Premarin last year as a "peri menopausal" test of sorts. She started me out on the creme. Ack, that was messy and I hated it! Didn't do a thing for the dryness, but gave me a nice yeast infection. Then, when I told her at the 2 week appt. it had given me an infection, she told me that she knew it would do that but thought that the benefits would out weigh it!

Needless to say, I found a different doctor and put in a complaint about her.

Sara
Unread 03-15-2002, 09:23 PM

Vagifem has been like a miracle for me.It's a pill insert without the mess. Not only does it help the dryness but, for me, it has cleared up bladder discomfort. It is actually Estradiol.
Unread 03-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Vagifem versus Cream

I have been using Vagifem for a month and can't believe how much it has helped with burning and bladder leakage. I have tried several hormone creams and had problems with all of them. This is the only one that hasn't given me any problems. I even had a cream compounded at the Women's International RX and that one turned out to be the worse one of all. From the moment I used it the burning was unbelievable. Hope you have success with your problem.
Unread 03-16-2002, 03:06 PM

Thank you sisters!!!! I talked to my Dr.'s nurse after I posted and she prescribed Estrace cream because I didn't want to go on the Premarin cream. Nancy S. I noticed you were on this cream, I wanted to ask you how long it took to start working? This is my second day and it has helped but I'm still sore (dry) although not as bad. I am going to give this a chance to work and if not I will asked the Dr. to prescribe the vagifem. I guess it takes awhile to get the hormones in balance!
Take Care,
Super Hyster
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:43 AM

Hi!

I am on estradiol pills, which is the same med as in the vivelle dot, and was doing great except for the vaginal dryness. I was prescribed estrace cream, to use 3 x a week for the first three weeks, then twice a week, then once a week - just a 1/4 applicator each time.

It's been 2 months now and it works great. Since I'm only using it once a week or so, the mess is no big deal, and 1/4 applicator full is no big deal

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.