went shopping | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

went shopping went shopping

Unread 03-15-2002, 12:29 PM
went shopping

I went shopping today... I bought a few things for the hospital... and for when I get home.. new robe, nightgown, ( I"m hoping people will wait to visit when I am at home) I also bought a bath brush with a long handle to scrub my feet with since bending may be a problem for a while. I also went to Bath and Body works and got some of their aromatherapy oils-- lavender.. one that makes you relax and sleepy... I got the kind to spray on the bed linen and some concentrated oils for pulse points and an eye mask... it smells wonderful... I hope it relaxes me... I may even take it to the hospital with me...
Now I just have to find a good pillow to take with me for those coughs you have to do.... any one know about what size I should be looking for... I was thinking something similar to a travel pillow???
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 12:39 PM
went shopping

Hi

Those oils sound lovely, but you should make sure not to put any in your bath water or anywhere near your incision until it is fully healed.

If you do not want people to visit you in the hospital you should say, but be aware, you may not feel as bad as you think you will. I thought, God, I do not want people to see my like this, I won't have the energy etc, etc, but by day two I was completely with it and bored out of my brain. I spent a fortune on the phone calling everyone and begging them to visit after I told them I didn't want them too.

The pillow can be any size but a small cushion size is better for travelling, it fits easier into cars etc. But they really are invaluable and coughing and vomiting can really grab at your belly at first, and they help with that, but I would say a cushion would be fine......it worked for me!

Good books are always a great thing. I thought I wouldn't be up to reading after all the drugs you have but I would have gone out of my mind without them. I read 2 novels in 4 days while I was there!

You really do not need to take too much, you can be over prepared, I just took the basics and that was more than enough for me, although others may disagree.

You sound like you are getting prepared, good luck.
Unread 03-15-2002, 12:40 PM
went shopping

I went shopping today for a few things for the hospital too. I got two pretty nightgowns, a robe to match one of them, and a pair of slippers The gowns might not be used until I get home, but I will take them with me just in case I feel so good I want to slip one on Ha.

My husband found a "down filled" travel pillow for me about a month ago. I think that will work nicely for a tummy pillow.

I like some of the other items you purchased to "pamper" yourself. Best wishes with your preparations for becoming a princess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 01:10 PM
re pillow

Hi:

I had a TVH on 3/5/2002 and I found that a buckwheat pillow worked the best for me. Gave me some foundation and was also comfortable to use for sleeping in hospital. (I brought two with me). Joyce.
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:29 PM
went shopping

Where can I find a buckwheat pillow?
Unread 03-15-2002, 03:38 PM
went shopping

I got my buckwheat pillows at a craft fair and two on QVC - maybe if you check their website they might have them.
Unread 03-15-2002, 05:12 PM
went shopping

We must all have the same thing in mind today. I did my shopping for the nightgown, new robe & slippers a couple days ago, but today I got lots of yarn for my crocheting projects that I couldn't trust DH to get for me if I run out while recovering...he hates shopping unless it's for fishing or hunting!

Just in case my doc ends up doing an abdominal at the last minute, I'm taking my small travel pillow I got at good old WalMart last year. I think I saw the buckwheat ones there also, but couldn't say for absolute sure.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register