LIW Questions!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LIW Questions!!! LIW Questions!!!

Unread 03-15-2002, 04:07 PM
LIW Questions!!!

Some questions that I've not wanted to ask, but can't help asking after reading so many of ya'lls stories and posts!

1. With a vaginal hyst, do you still have to hold a pillow over your stomach when laughing or coughing?
2. Does everyone undergoing a hyst have to do the breathing exercises I've heard mentioned?
3. When I first read about the leg pumps for the circulation, I immediately associated them with the last time I ever saw my mom alive (Jul 92) when she had open heart surgery and don't know how I'll (emotionally) handle them if confronted with them!
4. The "bulb thing" and the packing...does everyone get one or the other and what determines who gets the bulbs and who gets the packing?

These are just a few of the questions I have for now. For the most part, ya'lls posts have answered alot of them for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 04:28 PM
LIW Questions!!!

Hi Sonja. I think everyone's experience is different but I will try to answer from mine.

I had a vaginal hyst and did not have to use a pillow on my tummy when I coughed etc. but sometimes I felt myself reflexively pressing on my tummy at those times anyway!

I didn't have to use the breathing tube thing but the nurses did come in about every hour or so the first day and night and ask me to take about 3 deep breaths, and listened to my lungs with the stethoscope.

Not everyone gets the leg things. I didn't. If it happens, try to remember it isn't anything about your mom at all, it's just a piece of inanimate equipment designed to help you, just like the stethoscopes and IVs and catheters and all that "stuff".

I'm not sure what the "bulb thing" is but I guess if I don't know, I didn't have it, and I didn't have any packing either. That's something that different doctors have preferences on, and mine preferred me to go "au naturel".

Don't be afraid to keep asking questions, it might make you feel calmer going in if you can have more of a picture of what you will experience, but remember, everyone's experience is a little different. When it came time for me to go through it, I found it helpful to detach myself from it, sort of like I was there watching it happen to someone else; and sort of let it all flow by...it took on a momentum of its own and if I didn't fight it it seemed to go by fast and easy.

Good luck with everything!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-15-2002, 04:32 PM
LIW Questions!!!

Hi Sonja,

I am sorry about your mother's death and the memories that have come back to you of that time. Have you discussed with your doctor whether you'll need to have leg pumps for circulation? I wore some white stockings, but that's all. Maybe it would ease your mind to talk to your doctor so that if he feels you will need them you will have a chance to prepare yourself emotionally.

I'll try to answer your other questions.

Quote:
With a vaginal hyst, do you still have to hold a pillow over your stomach when laughing or coughing?
I didn't, but because I also had some repair work done for a rectocele and a cystocele I did need a donut pillow to sit on. If you're also having repairs done, then you'll want a donut.

Quote:
Does everyone undergoing a hyst have to do the breathing exercises I've heard mentioned?
I had general anesthesia, but I didn't have to do any breathing exercises. I'm not sure when they have to be done.

Quote:
The "bulb thing" and the packing...does everyone get one or the other and what determines who gets the bulbs and who gets the packing?
Many women who have a vaginal hyst are packed with gauze for awhile and it is removed before you go home from the hospital. I haven't heard about the bulb, so can't help there.

You may want to ask these questions on the post-op board, too.

Continue to read and post your questions- that's what Hystersisters.com is all about.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register