Preop Left Some Questions Maybe You All Can Answer | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preop Left Some Questions Maybe You All Can Answer Preop Left Some Questions Maybe You All Can Answer

Unread 03-16-2002, 04:05 AM
Preop Left Some Questions Maybe You All Can Answer

Had my pre-op, don't have any kind of bowel prep to do, which I will just eat very lightly 2 days before as advised by my friends. The nurse said I want to ask my doctor for a "binder" for my stomach after surgery to support my stomach, "stool softners" for my bowels. Shouldn't my dr. know this already? She said because I will probably have morphine (allergic to demerol) and due to the fact after my last lap of not having a bowel movement for 8 days, I will probably need the stool softner. I'm a nervous wreck as it is! I'm more afraid of waking up really sick than the actual surgery, because I don't handle I guess the anesthesia really well. I'm scheduled the 19th for a TAH/BSO, and hoping I won't be in too long. I plan on walking, resting and drinking alot of fluids as finding this site has given me some direction. By the way, when do they first make you get up? and will I be able to sleep all night? Never been in the hospital! (I feel like I've reverted back to 5 years old, and I don't want my mom to leave me there). I'm 38 and single and just have my parents, bless them for taking care of me!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 05:09 AM

First of all, stay relaxed or as relaxed as possible under the circumstances. Every pre op is different. My Dr. didn't recommend a bowel prep. I had my procedure on Tuesday the 12th. I ate lightly on Sunday and then went on clear liquids on Monday. (I am a nurse so decided on my own bowel plan). I also bought one of every gas preparation they sell at WalMart and am happy to report I only used 1 the entire time in the castle. Go very easy on the ice chips post op, they can make you gassy. Also you can use colace for a stool softener but you may not need it and may not need it in the hospital for sure, I am 4 days post and haven't had a BM yet but have been eating tons of fruit, veges, prunes and tons of liquids, I am going to avoid the colace as it causes gas and will use it only if I need it. (I think today is going to be the big day!)

With regard to getting up, my surgery was at 7:30 am and I was up at about 9:30 p.m. just at the bedside. I then got up at midnight went into the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I then walked at 6:00am and was up on my own after that. I washed my hair on Wednesday at about 11 am and took a shower on Thursday morning at 6:00am.

Please think positive thoughts, and start healing your body before you go. You will be fine.

Best wishes to you
Unread 03-16-2002, 05:15 AM

Yes your dr probably already knows this, but he/she has lots of other patients, so it doesn't hurt to reminds him/her and make sure it gets in your hospital chart. If you're unsure ask the nurses when you are in the hospital, if the stool softeners weren't automatically ordered they can get them for you.

Talk to the anesthesiologist and explain your concerns about getting sick form the anesthesia and they can put stuff in your iv to help prevent nausea.

They try to get you up within 12 hours, I lost a lot of blood and was on oxygen and different iv's so it was closer to 24 hours before I got up for the first time.

I was in the hospital for two nights, I didn't sleep straight through either night, mostly in and out. It was fairly quiet and the second night they only took my bp and vitals if they knew I was already awake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 06:52 AM

I always got so sick from anesthesia too..and this time was great..My mom works at a hosp and she told me that it is so improved since I had my last surgeyr Plus I always pass out my first time up and this time I didn't..I told the anesthesiologist about this and when they were doing my preop stuff they gave me verced for my nerves and two differant kinds of anti nausea meds and I never felt one iota of nausea..Oh that was wonderful..I was out of recovery room from a noon surgery at 2:10 and by 9 that nite I was sitting on the edge of my bed. I could not get out of bed as that dang cathedar and it was on other side of the bed and oh what a mess..But was up and about with no problem by 10 the next morning..I had TVH and wanted to go home so made sure I got rid of the gas..Altho I did not have oto much gas..The lady in the bed next to me was munching heavily on ice chips all nite and she had horrid gas pains I took it ez on the ice chips and only a few at a time every so often to keep my mouth wet and I only had mild gas which the next day walking around expelled..

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register