Only 28 and getting a hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Only 28 and getting a hysterectomy Only 28 and getting a hysterectomy

Unread 03-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Only 28 and getting a hysterectomy

I hear it all the time- "You're to young to have a hysterectomy!"
But most people don't have a clue as to what I've been through and still going through.

Nearly 2 years ago my periods were getting longer and heavier. One day I got my period and oh boy did I get it! I bled Everyday for three months. And when it was Suppose to be that time of the month I bled all over the place. Blood down my legs, on my clothes, on my car seat, all over the bed.....You name it , I bled on it! I was also passing blood clots the size of my hand. I was losing sleep because I had to constantly change my "diaper". I had to call in sick from work because I knew I would just bleed everywhere. And the cramps!!!! Front and back! It was like child labor.

After months of trying and doing everything the doctor told me to do, we set a date for a D&C and a Hysteroscopy. I didn't make it .
My body couldn't wait that long.

One morning I was showering getting ready for work and all of a sudden my heart started beating Really fast, I became nauseous
and vommited. When I looked up to the shower wall I started blacking out. I fell to my knees and pleaded " Oh my God! No,No,please No!" I managed to get up and I called to my husband " Take me to emergency!!"

When I arrived the nurse took one look at me, said "You have no color whatsoever", and rushed me to the back.She started an IV and made arrangements to have me transfered by an ambulance to a Womans Hospital.

There I received an emergency transfusion to get my blood count (at this time was 4.3) high enough for surgery. They did and removed a Monster size Fibroid.

I recovered and recently had a new baby. Two boys now. But the Fibroids are attacking my uterus again. I'm done having kids.
I've explored my options and a Hysterectomy seems like the best thing (scary too) to do.

I am scared. It just seems so MAJOR. But the Fibroids just keep growing back making my life miserable.

Any comments or suggestions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 11:30 AM

Hi,

Read as much as you can about your options. Ask questions of your Doc - get a second opinion. But it is your body and you know when you have had enough.

I am 41 and was not ready for a hysterectomy but it was the best decision for me. So I am now about 3 weeks post-op and doing well.

God bless you and keep with you.

Paula
Unread 03-16-2002, 11:38 AM

All I can say is - Bless your heart!

I have not had nearly the trouble you have had - just one day last October I started cramping and have been every day since. Have been having frequent periods - but only lasting a few days with horrible pain and then gone. I have had fibroids since before I had my first child and now I have ovarian cysts that just will not go away. Tried birth control pills - they didn't help at all - made it worse. I finally told my doctor that I wanted a hysterectomy. I am 35. A little bit older than you but according to that doctor way too young to even be thinking of having this done. She told me she wouldn't do it. So - I found another doctor who was at least as old as I was and a little more understanding. She understood where I was coming from - 2 kids, ages 13 and 8, had already had my tubes tied so I wasn't planning on anymore children. With the history of cancer in my family she totally agreed that it was time for me to do this. I become a princess early Monday morning.

You have already been through more pain and trouble than I can only imagine. No doubt about it - this surgery is major - but I have been told by not only family but friends as well that when I wake up that pain will be gone - and just the thought of never having to buy tampons or pads again is worth it too! I think that this website will help take that scared feeling away. These women on here are awesome!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 12:20 PM

I'm 43 and "young" for the perimenopause I'm experiencing. I came here to be with others going through it, as none of my friends are ... and here I've found younger and older experiencing many different but many same things.

Your friends who aren't anywhere near these decisions cannot relate at all ... but after all that hemorrhaging and almost dying, you're certainly in better hands with this new doctor.

Just so you don't feel all alone, my cousin was just 16 and bleeding for so many months that her blood's iron reserves were so low, she almost died. It can and does happen, although not really common. I'm so glad you've found the right doctor.
Unread 03-16-2002, 12:23 PM
27 and post-hysterectomy!!!

Just a quick note to let you know that you are not alone out there! I had my Hysterectomy 7 weeks ago for Endometriosis and I am feeling pretty good considering! I am 27 and only have one child but like you I had just had enough of the recurring problems and a hsyt seemed the best solution. I have already started on HRT and although it is taking a little while to get used to, things are definitely a lot better than they were before. I have no pain, no bleeding and no mood swings - what a relief! Obviously you will need to discuss all the options open to you and decide what the best solution will be. But no matter what, you're not alone out there and if you'd like to contact me further please don't hesitate! Good luck!

Helen Williams (Scotland - UK)

P.S. Email: Helen.L.Williams@virgin.net
Unread 03-17-2002, 08:20 AM

I am only 25 and I am having my hyst in May...sort of like you I started bleeding two weeks after my period ended in July two years ago and pretty much never stopped since...a week off here and there but constant, HEAVY bleeding w/ huge clots...i went to the ER several times, have been anemic, am in constant pain. I too am sick of hearing everyone say I am too young...I say I am too young to be living like THIS...it has pretty much stopped my life. You are not alone...and after trying EVERYTHING short of a hyst, I feel good about it now and am looking forward to the end of all this.

Good luck!
Unread 03-17-2002, 11:28 AM

I certainly understand!

!). You'll have your life back
2). Wonder why it took so long
3). Have more patience with those two wonderful boys!
4). Actually feel like having fun (all the anemia ~.~ GONE!)

I had a very large fibroid and bled like you ~ huge clots. I had one boy, eight at the time~ now ten years old and knew one was perfect for me and my hubby. You will be glad when it's all over. I have to admit that I still get a little smile from inside every time I pass by the tampax isle ~ just can't help it.

The big issue with me was going through it with the spinal instead of general. Once my doctor told me he never does them with general unless mandatory I was fine. You are not put "under" and for me that was such a better choice. My doctor said it is a "patient comfort" subject for him. With the spinal they can put the pain meds that last for 24 hours and you go straight from that to pain meds by mouth! The spinal is not what I thought. I was thinking big, long needle...nothing like that! During the surgery you can be asleep or gently awake ~.~ whatever you prefer and the feeling in your feet comes back in during recovery and you'll never have to pump that morphine pump. There was a lady in the room beside me that got soooo sick with that stuff ~ not a good idea following surgery but many doctors still use it.

My surgery was in May, 2000, TAH kept ovary (42) and still ticking along so well.

I am excited that you will have your life back after all of this and will be able to enjoy those two wonderful boys of yours so much more!!! You're young but look at it this way ~ you will save all those years of that pain and mess, have more energy than ever before and save money...and you have your wonderful boys! What a life !!!!
Unread 03-17-2002, 11:38 AM

Dear Lena,
My mom had me at 25 and my brother at 26. Her fibroids caused her pain and anemia for 5 more years before she got up enough courage for a hysterectomy. She is now 70-ish and in excellent health. She told me recently that her decision to have a hysterectomy was one of the best choices she ever made, adding, "I don't know why I waited so long!"

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register