Help planning for the big day | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help planning for the big day Help planning for the big day

Unread 03-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Help planning for the big day

Hi my name is Debra and I have to have a TAH because of the large number and size of my fibroids; one makes me appear to be 6 months pregant and another makes my bladder feel like I am 9 months along. Since I have found this site and gotten the book "Throught the Land of Hyster", I know that I am not alone and if everyone else can get through this surgery I can too.

I have a couple of questions in preparing for the big day, which for me is not until April 29th.

1) Which is the better cut vertical or horizontal, if I am given the option which should I choose? I would prefer the one that hurts the least and which you can heal the fastest from.

2) Would it be a good idea to get a riser for the throne in the bathroom?

3) I have read about giving thank you gifts to the nurses in the hospital, what would be an appropriate gift to give? I would appreciate any suggestions as I am complete flop when it comes to getting the right thank you gift.

I know I will have more questions as the day gets closer but that is it for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 01:35 PM

Wwave:

Hi Debra, and Welcome to Hystersisters!! I'm glad you have the book and are finding it helpful.

I can't answer your question about the vertical or horizontal cut, because I had a TVH, not abdominal. My personal preference if I would have had an abdominal would have been a horizontal bikini cut, but that's just my preference, and I don't know if either one heals quicker or hurts less.

I didn't think about gifts for the nurses (I didn't find hystersisters until the night before) but you can't go wrong with 's or 's

I'm glad you decided to post your questions.

's

Karen
Unread 03-16-2002, 01:38 PM

Hi Debra,
I am having a TAH with a vertical incision on Friday. I wasn't given any choice in the matter beacuse of the size of my uterus/fibroids and need to check out ovaries.

Once i'm home from the castle I'll let you know how things went so that you can make a decision.

As far as pressies for the nurses etc, I am going to look for little stuffed toys, the beanie types. I also thought that chocolates never go astray!!

and take care,
Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 02:02 PM

Hi Debra!

Regarding the incision, from what I understand and have learned here on the site, we normally don't get a choice as to the type of incision. The doctor makes that decision based on what he needs to get out or be able to see. But of course everyone is different so you never know. My understanding is that a horizontal bikini cut is less invasive and smaller, so the recovery is a little smoother. I had horizontal - in fact he just opened my c-section scar - but some ladies who have had vertical may be able to clarify that.

Personally, I did not need a riser for the throne in the bathroom.

Also, I didn't give thank you gifts. I did think about it - but I had revolving nurses, so never really felt like I had a group to give a thank you gift to - if that makes any sense. I only had the same nurse again for two shifts - every other time it was someone new.

So - there you have it! My two cents worth. Best wishes for a successful surgery!

Hugs,
Unread 03-16-2002, 03:05 PM

Hi, Debra -

I agree with Mary Sue about the cut - I would bet they try to do horizontal since it will show less, but they'll do what they need to - ask your dr what he/she plans.

I didn't need a riser, but a few women have said it was nice.

What I did for the nurses was bring with me a big bowl of hard candies and a box of chocolate. (the chocolate disappeared faster :-)). Had my husband put it on the counter in my room as soon as we were settled, and made sure every time someone came in, I told them to help themselves and spread the word. They really appreciated it. What I think they appreciate most is patients being polite and friendly to them :-). There were lots of different nurses throughout my stay, and they were great!
Unread 03-16-2002, 04:41 PM
I've been wondering the same thing

Hi, I have been wondering the same thing. They told me I would have to have an abdominal because my uterus was so big, but I never considered the vertical incision. So now I'm wondering if thats a possibility, I DO NOT want a vertical incision. The other was bad enough to worry about. My surgery is the 20th and my preop is the day before so I guess I will ask him then. Now I'm getting worried!!! Best of luck to you. Blessings in Christ, Mikki Jo

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register