silly embarrassing question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

silly embarrassing question silly embarrassing question

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:15 AM
silly embarrassing question

Ok, I'm sure this will be the funniest question ever asked, but....I have no one else to ask...
I have my LAVH on the 21st, at my pre-op I was told I needed to do a fleet enema the afternoon before... Uh....I don't have any idea how I would do this myself, I don't have much experience (thank the lord) except when I was in labor with my middle child 13 years ago, the nurse tried to give me one, but, lets just say I wasn't to cooperative. I'm completly embarrassed about this whole subject, but can anyone give me the "inside" info on this?

first I worry about the gas and now that I'm clam about that now I worry about this.....

Oh! and is there ANYMORE embarrassing "stuff" that will happen to me???

Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 05:31 AM
enemas

Dear Stepwife,
Your question is not silly and don't be embarrased, we're all sisters here. See if you can search out the legnthy thread about this very topic March 8-10 titled "Has anyone had to do this pre-op??" originated by Karah.
Basically, every doctor has different pro-op procedures. Some don't require it at all, some require you to self-administer (usually a "Fleets" which comes in a small squeeze bottle and is easier than you'd think), some have a nurse administer them after you arrive at the hospital. If so, please don't worry--Nurses have seen everything and do these things routinely without batting an eye.
I think the embarrasment factor is probably greater for younger women who tend to be less familiar with hospitals and "procedures" than some of the older veterans. Please don't worry, like with most things in life, the anticipatory anxiety is much worse than the actual event.
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:50 AM

I have to do the same thing and from what I've seen on this board, we should be thankful we don't have to drink the yuky stuff!! It's been a lond time since I did this, but if you get a Fleet's, just read the package instructions and try to maintan a sense of humor. And if that doesn't work, just remind your self that it could be worse.......At least they didn't make you wait until you got to the hospital and had a nurse do it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 07:41 AM

Not a silly question at all! I had to do a Fleets enema for my surgery and it was the first time I had an enema ever. I was very nervous and put it off until the last second I could do it the night before!
But the other sisters are right, just follow the instructions. It's easy and not too uncomfortable. The funny thing for me was that I had been so nervous that day that I cleared out my bowels from nerves before the enema! BUt I knew I had to do the enema just in case. As was said, better for you to do it in private than have the nurse do it.
Unread 03-17-2002, 10:03 AM

I was nervous too! I did a Fleet's enema night before surgery. The applicator tip has lubricant on it, which helps. Plus there's a valve inside the bottle (which is soft and squeezes easily) so you don't have to maintain constant pressure; you can let go and get a better grip to sorta fold the bottle up as you squeeze.

I just lay on my left side on the bathroom floor (on a towel) and used my right hand to squeeze. I was nervous about, um, leaking a little so I didn't want to lie down in bed. Really it wasn't a big deal. Much easier than that Go-Litely stuff they make you drink to clean yourself out.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 03-17-2002, 11:41 AM
NOOOOOOO!

I dont want tooooo! I hate enemas, LOL I dont want to do this, my preop is Tuesday the day before my surgery. I thought they waited a little late for my preop, because of the blood work. I think my paper said it needs to be done at least 24 hours prior, but that wont be 24 hours. Oh well, they do this every day so I guess I'll just do my part. But that enema, I'm not so sure about. I have had 4 children and had to have an enema with each one, and of course when your in labor it can be painful. I'm ready tho', whatever they send my way, just give me a catcher's mitt, LOL. I'm feeling quite chipper today, not as nervous as yesterday thank goodness. Surgery in 3 days!!!! Blessings in Christ, Mikki Jo
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:18 PM

If your doc wants you to do an enema and you'd prefer a laxative or something, you could ask your doc if that's OK instead.

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register