Back from the Castle: my experience | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from the Castle:  my experience Back from the Castle: my experience

Unread 03-17-2002, 04:57 AM
Back from the Caste: my experience

I will try to keep this short. I had a TAH/BSO on 3/13. I want to say first of all that this was the most painful surgery I have ever had (not to scare anyone) but I thought my other surgeries were pieces of cake. I used the PCA for the first time and regret it. I had a lot of nausea and drowsiness that lasted for the first 2 days. It only went away after I told them I was not going to use it anymore because it was making me miserable. I was given a shot of Demerol which worked like a miracle drug and then moved on to oral pain meds. I was then able to get up and move around and I felt great. I did have some lower intestinal gas pains one night that were a bit uncomfortable but they passed by the following morning. I think I made the mistake of drinking a Sprite while on a bland diet and it wreaked havoc on my bowels because I was feeling great until then. I am going to stay on my bland diet until my bowels are back to normal.

As far as hormones, I was given a shot of estrogen in the recovery room and then moved on to Premarin 1.25mg when I got home. I cannot tell you how great I feel hormonally. I have this feeling of inner harmony or something and I know it isn't my pain meds, they just knock me out and I have taken them before and never felt like this. I just feel so good, so happy, so healthy. It is euphoric. I hope this lasts!

Things I brought to the castle that I used: all my shower/cleansing toiletries, my Victoria's Secret PJs (cami top and long bottoms after catheter was removed), magazines for those short burst of awareness. I wasn't able to concentrate very long on something like a book. Socks or slippers for walking the halls or your room when you need to get up and do something.

It was a very lonely stay for me too. As you know I have young children at home. After my surgery, one of the nurses (whom I did not like at all) told my husband to leave and he just got there. He wasn't planning on staying long, he was worried about me and I wanted to see him of course! She chased him away with the kids so I was left alone. They didn't come back until my 3rd day there and all of the other nurses were happy to see I had company. I was on the maternity/pediatrics wing so there were children visiting everywhere. I don't understand why my children were chased away. DH says they were quiet because they were scared. I was not happy with the nurse situation because there were a few more things that happened that upset me.

Now that I am home, I get up every hour or so to keep my body functioning. DH is doing the cleaning and the cooking and he is doing a wonderful job. I finally got a great night's sleep last night since no one was coming in every 4 hours for a BP/temp check.

In all, I am happy it is over, I do not regret doing it, I feel great emotionally and hormonally (so far), and I look forward to recovering and living my life once again. Most importantly, it seems all my fears were unfounded. We are all doing great.

JoAnn
TAH/BSO 3/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 05:17 AM
Ooops

Forgot to add: For those of you worrying about swelly belly, I barely have one. My belly is no bigger than if I was on my period. I wouldn't dream of wearing anything tight because the incision site is sore but I do not look pregnant or anything like that.
Unread 03-17-2002, 05:46 AM
Back from the Castle: my experience

Thanks for the info!! I am scheduled for a TAH BSO on Thursday and I can't wait to get it over with!!! I don't usually have a problem with nausea, but if I do, I'll ask for Demoral.

I'm so sorrythat you were stuck in that hospital alone so much and that you had a bed experience with the nurses. I've been in the hospital before when my kids were small and DH couldn't stay too long and it was very depressing. I'm just glad that you're home and doing great!!

See you on the post op side........

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register