Sensitivity to Pain Medications-- | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sensitivity to Pain Medications-- Sensitivity to Pain Medications--

Unread 03-17-2002, 05:32 AM
Sensitivity to Pain Medications--

Good Morning-
As the BIG DAY approaches (April 4, 2002), my apprehensions grow. I am in hopes that you all can give me some suggestions on what I can do "post-op" regarding pain medications? I am hyper-sensitive to ANY synthetic codienes/opiates, etc. [size=1] I did not realize how sensitive I was to synthetic pain medications until I had a root canal performed several weeks ago. He administered Percocets and within 30 minutes the tidal wave of nausea blew over me. (You would think that your doctor would not administer any medications that might make you ill!) How can I determine that the castle staff knows NOT to administer any of these pain meds post-op? What can they give me?
Thank you for your time in advance. You CANNOT imagine how much this site has helped me in less than 24 hours. Reading these post have been VERY comforting to me!
Looking forward to hearing from you-
Erin Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 08:13 AM

Best advice I can give you is tell everyone - even if you feel like a pain about it . you don`t want to have to deal with vomiting along with every thing else.
I have a low tolerance to pain meds- 1 pill duz for me what 2 duz for others. I made sure doc knew. as soon as i woke from surgery I asked that they cut my meds in half and if I still had pain i would let them know. They were really nice - I only had to ask once and they wrote it in my chart so the other nurses brought me half with out me asking again.
God Bless Paula
Unread 03-17-2002, 08:39 AM

My best advice for you is to talk to your dr. about what these pain meds do to your body. I am just to oppisate. If I take CODINE in its pure form, not lab created then I get very physcotic(sp). It scares me and terrifies my DH. I spok with my dr. about why this medicen does this to me. He told me just to tell everyone I was alergic to it. So thats what I do. The does not want you getting sick after srugery. So tell him and also tell your anithesioligest(sp). If you have not gone in for your Pre-Op I would also tell the nurse there. Tell everyone. They may suggest that you do just what my dr. told me to do. But check with them first. It will be ok. And I am sure you will make a great .
Angela/ AngRed1
Chat AKA: Fleyitch71

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register